• Maybe it won't be so bad

4 7.84%
  • We gotta protest (or something)

7 13.73%
  • McCarthy would be proud

24 47.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems inevitable that the government will soon have a way of tracking everybody -- just to be safe. What do you think / how do you feel??
    What would be the difference between a national card and my state drivers license?
    Sounds like a great way for Larry Ellison to make some money on support, maintenance, and software upgrades.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I don't think soooo.... I don't need another hard copy of ANOTHER bad hair day ...

Teri
    1) Why does the poll only have 1 negative, yet 4 postivie things?

2)

The National ID CARD IMHO is a BAD IDEA! You can never gain back privacy. BUT, drivers lisecences and SS numbers are already used, and legally SS numbers aren't allowed to be used except for taxes, so if it means people stop using those it COULD be good.. (not saying it is)

How woudl this help though? In refrence to the recent attacks, almsot all the terrorists were properly identified...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Sounds like a way to restrict our freedom. Also makes me think of Nazi Germany. "Papers, please." Thoroughly and vehemently against.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Yorick,
    I just noticed your sig - been listening to a lot of carlin lately, have some on Real Jukebox spinning on random...
  8.    #8  
    The first three are positive and the last two negative, though the third might be regarded as neutral.

At least that's what I intended.
    It seems inevitable that the government will soon have a way of tracking everybody -- just to be safe.
    Huh?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  10. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Let's not forget that no matter how good your computers and databases are, you still need human beings to enter data, distribute cards, validate information, check identification, audit systems, troubleshoot problems, replace lost/stolen cards, etc. Any one of these people with a drug habit, gambling problem, or just too small of a paycheck is an easy target to get false information into the system (and false IDs out of the system). If you think this unlikely, just turn on the TV and listen to the reports of how many convicted felons are checking your bags at the airport. Even if you ignore the potential privacy problems, a national ID system is a feel-good (for some) solution that increases the appearance of security without actually helping much. Whose responsibility will it be to go around checking people's IDs? The same people and agencies who were responsible for ensuring Atta and his buddies were in the country legally? This is not primarily a technology problem, and cannot be solved with a solely technology solution. It is far more important to have policies that make sense and sufficiently well-trained and well-paid people in charge of enforcing those policies, as well as good communication between overlapping government agencies (which would have likely led authorities to at least a few of the terrorists BEFORE Sept. 11th)
    Next step after that is implanting computer chips in us. "Step right on down to your corner bio chip kiosk and get one today!". I'll pass.
    Originally posted by briker206
    Next step after that is implanting computer chips in us. "Step right on down to your corner bio chip kiosk and get one today!". I'll pass.
    You say this with tongue in cheek, but I'm betting it gets here one day. (Most likely on forehead or hand, but I don't want to get off topic.)
    Originally posted by K. Cannon

You say this with tongue in cheek, but I'm betting it gets here one day. (Most likely on forehead or hand, but I don't want to get off topic.)
    Yeah, I don't think we need _another_ religion thread. ;~~~
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    (You're right we don't--notice that I didn't say where the reference came from or what I was talking about. Some people might have just assumed I'm a weirdo.)

Is this idea any different than an internal passport?
    Originally posted by Toby
    Chicken.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Chicken.
    Not at all, just don't see the point in diluting the discussion among threads and forums until it doesn't make sense.
    Robert Heinlein, in his novel TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE wrote:

"When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is not far away. It is time to go elsewhere.
    The best thing about space travel is that it made it possible to go elsewhere."
    As far as tracking our movements, the credit card companies already do that. Last saturday I got a call from Discover Card telling me that my card had been stolen and used to buy $3000 worth of electronics. I hadn't even missed it yet, and it was only hours after the charges were made. This is the same company that gave me a call when I travelled to the east coast on business. They saw charges coming from an "unusual" location, and just wanted to check up on me.

Creepy.

But they saved me $3000.

Hm.
    --
    ThirdMan
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    What would be the difference between a national card and my state drivers license?
    The biggest difference to me is the fact that a DL is voluntary. Not only that, it is not something you get at birth and are told to keep with you at all times, which this probably would do.

Why not just tag us like cattle and imbed the tag with a GPS Receiver? The government always uses times of crisis to further their agenda. Everytime there is a shooting, they use it for Gun Control. Now, the attacks give them leverage to revoke our freedoms, because most of society act like scared sheep.

"Oh, you want to help me? Sure go ahead and track every move I make, if you think it helps..."
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by GSR13
    The biggest difference to me is the fact that a DL is voluntary. Not only that, it is not something you get at birth and are told to keep with you at all times, which this probably would do.
    Also, it can be taken away if you screw up, and you have to be of a certain age before you can have it.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast