1.    #1  
    Anybody here see "Smallville" on WB last night? Unfortunately, I missed it (seeing as I don't get WB and my Fox channel shows Smallville at 4:30 AM) but I taped it for later.

what's your impressions? Good, bad, disappointing, exciting? Let the rest of us know what you think.

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
    I saw it last night--it was surprisingly good! A bit similar to early episodes of Roswell. Interesting take on Lex. I'm not sure where they're going with it, though. It seems that he takes on a life of do-gooding because he feels guilty about the meteors he came in with killing people in Smallville.
    Originally posted by Burns
    but I taped it for later.
    I hope you got it all -- it ran over by ten minutes.

what's your impressions? Good, bad, disappointing, exciting? Let the rest of us know what you think.

overall, pretty decent TV, interesting introduction, has promise.
    * There were a lot of nice little touches that only those who know a lot about the Superman mythology would catch. The Kent pickup is generally a red Ford, for example.
    * Tom Welling, who's playing Clark, looks an awful lot like the actor who played the teenage Clark in the 1970s Superman movie.
    * While I understand that it makes for more angst/conflict for him not to be, I'd have preferred if Clark were a football hero in this version, as he was in Lois & Clark. Thankfully, this show doesn't appear to be aiming towards the goofiness that L&C often had (i.e. the "outdoor" locations that were obviously soundstages, cardboard villains, etc).
    * Lex is interesting ... he has an inkling that Clark isn't like other teenagers. One can't tell based just on his depiction so far what he might do about it, or how sincere he is about his offer of friendship. The most recent versions of Luthor have been ruthless.
    * The effects were pretty decent. "super speed" was just a blur.
    * The meteor bombardment in the first few minutes was a bit too violent for my tastes. unless I imagined it you could actually see "people" in one of the trucks as it exploded.

I was a little skeptical but I like stories about people with extraordinary abilities. There hasn't been a high school based Superman show before (the 80's syndicated Superboy series was set at college, at least for as long as I watched it -- the second actor playing Clark there really turned me off, too smirky ) and they're going to be avoiding costumes, which makes it more realistic. At any rate, I enjoyed it a lot more than I did Enterprise.
    Now I just have to make sure I'm always home on Tuesdays, as three of my other favorite shows (Gilmore Girls, Buffy, Scientific American Frontiers) all air that night. I can tape two and watch two.
    Last edited by Yorick; 10/17/2001 at 09:06 PM.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Yorick
    [...] * Lex is interesting ... he has an inkling that Clark isn't like other teenagers. One can't tell based just on his depiction so far what he might do about it, or how sincere he is about his offer of friendship. The most recent versions of Luthor have been ruthless. [...]
    I'm digging way back in the memory banks here, but I could have sworn that Lex and Clark did start out as friends. The same accident which caused Lex to lose his hair is what 'turned him to the dark side', IIRC.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    I'm digging way back in the memory banks here, but I could have sworn that Lex and Clark did start out as friends. The same accident which caused Lex to lose his hair is what 'turned him to the dark side', IIRC.
    I know the story you're referring to. (well, not by heart, but I do have it in a reprint book around here someplace.) Lex was friends with Superboy; there was a chemical explosion resulting in Lex's hair falling out for which he blamed Superboy and "turned" him as you say. I don't recall if Lex knew Clark as a boy. Of course the adult Luthor was around before the retroactive Superboy stories.
    There was a "reboot" in the mid-1980's which changed Luthor from an evil scientist type to a businessman who reveled in his power, and who went bald of a combination of natural causes and radiation from a kryptonite ring he wore (I think ...)
    I was actually just thinking about the character's depiction in the new series; while comparisons are inevitable (and I know I'll be doing that as time goes by) I do try to consider a show on its own merits. on the other hand it's only television.

addendum: out of curiousity I went searching for more info on that old story; this webpage has the actual panel! And, it turns out, it was a fire, not an explosion (whups).
    Last edited by Yorick; 10/17/2001 at 11:29 PM.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.