Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    "OTOH, one could always adopt the ways of the Amish."

Uh, I sell cars for a living now... that might decrease my income somewhat. I don't think they allow pda's either. or the occasional beer.

Well, I didn't say that _I_ would choose that route. I was only pointing out that one didn't necessarily have to accept or embrace technology just because everyone else was. They don't ignore or deny the state of the world. They just choose not to participate in most of it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    They don't ignore or deny the state of the world. They just choose not to participate in most of it.
    Actually, the Amish are quite tech-saavy. It's not that they do not participate in modern conveniences, it's that they are very selective and careful as to which aspects of their lives become affected by technology. They tend to embrace technology for business, as they are smart people and they know how to compete in the market, but they try and avoid bringing too much technology into their homes. While it isn't something I'd probably be willing to do, they have developed a very resepectful model for a micro-society.

Wow. Topics have realy been swinging way off topic latetely...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    Actually, the Amish are quite tech-saavy. It's not that they do not participate in modern conveniences, it's that they are very selective and careful as to which aspects of their lives become affected by technology. They tend to embrace technology for business, as they are smart people and they know how to compete in the market, but they try and avoid bringing too much technology into their homes. While it isn't something I'd probably be willing to do, they have developed a very resepectful model for a micro-society.
    I don't see how any of that disagrees with what I said. They really don't participate in the same way that most do. For example, prepaid cell phones are really popular, but will only be used away from the house.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    "OTOH, one could always adopt the ways of the Amish."

Uh, I sell cars for a living now...
    Hope they aren't used cars, otherwise we won't be able to believe anything you say!
    For the record I sell new Nissans and used cars of any make (I'm so good I bought two used Nissans from myself). I don't wear plaid or polyester though, so be careful- I look normal

Here in New York we have to warranty everything we sell, and customers have 72 hours from the time they sign to back out, so we can't be too dishonest.

You should verify everything you hear from at least two other independent sources, even stuff from me!

Michael
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234