Page 2 of 143 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 2855
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    [...] The added cost in the USA is feeding the insurance mega corporations. They are not in business for your benefit, they do what they must do to make a profit for the shareholders (as they should).
    Do you realize that the shareholders of many of those 'insurance mega corporations' are in fact the people who pay the premiums?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Do we really want the government to decide who lives, who dies, and how?

    We'll go from the choice of 100s of healthcare plans to one government one size fits all coverage where some beaurocrat in a basement somewhere decides if your mother gets surgery or pain killers based on a budget and cost savings to the already overburdened tax payers.

    Seriously. The rest of the industrialized world has gov't run healthcare. It's time to wake up and take the profit out of the human condition that is getting sick.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Seriously. The rest of the industrialized world has gov't run healthcare. It's time to wake up and take the profit out of the human condition that is getting sick.
    I was waiting for you to show up given your signature
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  4. #24  
    We should have a consumer-driven health care system as they do in Sweden. Each citizen receives a certain amount of money that they decide themselves how to spend on health care. Insurance companies remain the same except for increased government oversight and basic ethical guidelines for operation. There is a low-cost government option for those that opt for it.
  5. drakej's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #25  
    So a few months ago before the election the government could not do a single thing correct under Bush correct? Well that was the opinion of most folks, yet now all of a sudden we are supposed to belive that the Feds can run healthcare? They cant manage to run a bank, car company or anything else they have gotten their hands in. Also, if there is a "free" alternitive offered by the govenment why would an employer want to offer you insurance?

    And what is with this "lets be like all the other countries"? We need to focus on what is best for US. I could care less what Canada is doing or the EU.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Do you realize that the shareholders of many of those 'insurance mega corporations' are in fact the people who pay the premiums?
    Oh you bet I do...that's what makes USA health care even more of a stymie.
  7. papla's Avatar
    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Do we really want the government to decide who lives, who dies, and how?

    We'll go from the choice of 100s of healthcare plans to one government one size fits all coverage where some beaurocrat in a basement somewhere decides if your mother gets surgery or pain killers based on a budget and cost savings to the already overburdened tax payers.
    If you think the healthcare insurance companies are out to save you money or look out for the best care for you..then you and i mean only you deserve the current system..continue to throw your money away my friend.

    The health insurance companies are all about taking your money and looking for ways to deny you coverage..almost like auto insurance...I will love to see them fail.
    I mean ..are you serious?? "destroying america healthcare"??
    i see and hear stories about how people are denied coverage all the time...you signed up for it..only to realize when you need it that you not covered in that area. Goodluck MICEAL...maybe you will realize what are i am saying when you have some major and serious health issues.
  8. #28  
    If the government can't run anything, then a gov't run system will pose no threat. But I don't think we can say they can't be successful - after all, they can handle running a military.

    I don't hink we need to be like Canada or the EU, but we shouldn't automatically assume that we have nothing to learn from them.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  9. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #29  
    The government runs things so well. Just look at Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, GM, Chrysler, Fannie Mae, and Freddy Mac. How well and how efficient they are being run. Now let's give Healthcare to them too.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    The government runs things so well. Just look at Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, GM, Chrysler, Fannie Mae, and Freddy Mac. How well and how efficient they are being run. Now let's give Healthcare to them too.
    I normally try to avoid the off-topic forums but really? I disagree with your comments on Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, but I could see them as being reasonable points.

    But GM, Chrysler, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac ran themselves into the ground long before the govt intervened.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I don't hink we need to be like Canada or the EU, but we shouldn't automatically assume that we have nothing to learn from them.
    That kind of thinking is not going to get you anywhere in this country. Isn't it obvious to you yet that the way it's done in the USA is the best way it can be done and to hell with the rest of he world!?!

  12. #32  
    Other institutions we all rely on that are governement run...

    how about Public schools "OMG the governement is going to control our kids and turn them into socialists!!"

    how about the Post Office "OMG the government is gonna control our communication!!"

    how about the FCC "OMG the government is going to control what electronics we use, Socialists!"

    the government isn't going to tell us who lives and who dies. and besides that the Obama's plan is to have a government run system that will compete with the private sector. ...don't want to leave your current plan? then don't.

    stop listening to the fear mongerers who only back the private sector, who in turn back those in congress with campaign money.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
  13. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by starlord II View Post
    The last thing I want is to have the people that run Social Security and the Vet hospitals running health care. But lets be fair, some bureaucrat already decides who lives and dies and what treatment they get. Only in this case they are concerned only about maximizing profits and not about an over burdened federal system.
    At least you have the option to go with a different insurance provider.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  14. #34  
    I think we need to put more focus on health prevention. The fattest nation on earth we are called. I have a friend who is 400 pounds and has sleep apnea because of it. If he didn't have out of control weight, many of his other health issues would go away.

    We do not need govt run healthcare. I'm sorry, but the govts role shouldn't be providing health care to people who frankly don't deserve it. (i.e. People who do whatever they want and then want some sort of bailout, and btw this pertains to more than healthcare). What we need is personal responsibility.

    It is not my responsibility to take care of every other person in the country. It is out of my goodwill that I donate to charity, etc, not because it is a requirement. Its my hard earned cash and if I want to spend it on me and the people I love or perfect strangers it should be my choice.

    Just my 2 cents.
  15. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    As opposed to the current system, where some insurance exec makes that decision.
    Maybe once, but you can get a different plan.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    At least you have the option to go with a different insurance provider.

    Not really because then you'll have a preexisting condition and they can just decide to not insure you.

    The current system, like the man said, is designed to maximize profit. They're private businesses. I wonder if you've even had to deal with a health insurance company dragging their feet to pay off your claim, while hospital is knocking on your door to get paid.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
  17. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    The real question is whether government controlled healthcare will do anything to affect a positive change. IOW, why are the costs out of control? I suspect there are quite a few reasons, but chief among them are 1) general ignorance about costs beyond out of pocket expense and 2) general provider insurance costs.
    How about a mix? If we adopted a pay as you go program for outpatient needs where you could put tax-deferred money aside in an account, and at the end of the year you keep whats left over, and then have insurance for hospitalization or specialized needs with a moderately high deductable - I think that would cut costs.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  18. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    If the government 'doesn't touch' existing private insurance, but instead provides 'government insurance' for certain groups....
    A government insurance program will "touch" existing private insurances. It will destroy them.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  19. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Seriously. The rest of the industrialized world has gov't run healthcare. It's time to wake up and take the profit out of the human condition that is getting sick.
    ...and we all know how well the rest of the industrialized world's healthcare systems run. Not.

    So who will decide when and how your mother will die, daThomas? You? Your mother? Or some government hack?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  20. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidicinal View Post
    Insurance companies remain the same except for increased government oversight and basic ethical guidelines for operation.
    Which is it? They remain the same? Or they have increased government oversight? Sounds like state run healthcare with some shells of companies who are told what they can offer and what they can charge. We're talking about a monopoly.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Posting Permissions