Page 118 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1868108113114115116117118119120121122123128 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 2855
  1. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #2341  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Not sure what you mean. Am I missing the initial point that I jumped into being whom the President appeared on today?
    Actually, my original point was Obama snubbed not only FNC but the huge number of people who watch it. I ask if he sat down with Lehrer or CSM because its relevant to the point. If he didn't, why didn't he?
  2. #2342  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Actually, my original point was Obama snubbed not only FNC but the huge number of people who watch it. I ask if he sat down with Lehrer or CSM because its relevant to the point. If he didn't, why didn't he?
    Sorry, bad form on my part for not reading up.

    I think he was hitting the most popular weekend shows. Actually all the ones I have tivo'd. So I don't think anyone was being snubbed. Although, Chris Wallace's (evil spawn of Mike Wallace ) show Fox News Sunday could be considered a snub. Don't know if they communicated or not.
  3. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #2343  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Actually, my original point was Obama snubbed not only FNC but the huge number of people who watch it. I ask if he sat down with Lehrer or CSM because its relevant to the point. If he didn't, why didn't he?
    Well he sure isn't snubbing Sarah Palin's good pal, David Letterman, tonight. Should be interesting to watch.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  4. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #2344  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's a $100 million dollar Pentagon project, and I believe the money is well spent.
    Thats chump change, as far as Pentagon projects go.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  5. #2345  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Thats chump change, as far as Pentagon projects go.
    That's part of the problem, IMO. All the money we spend on 'defending our interests' abroad is money we could be spending more wisely (or leaving in the pockets of those) at home.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #2346  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    That's part of the problem, IMO. All the money we spend on 'defending our interests' abroad is money we could be spending more wisely (or leaving in the pockets of those) at home.
    I would not say "all of the money" but certainly some of that money could be better spent at home.
  7. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #2347  
    Quote Originally Posted by pasturing View Post
    How can we achieve a better proposal?
    1. Open up the dialogue
    2. Identify all areas related to healthcare that contributes to it's escalating costs (not just focus on an insurance takeover)
    3. Review strategic options for reducing costs within each area
    4. Draft a mini plan for each area of concern (one big plan will never get passed)
    5. Debate-finalize-ratify-sign
    6. Wash-rinse-repeat, as necessary.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  8. #2348  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    1. Open up the dialogue
    2. Identify all areas related to healthcare that contributes to it's escalating costs (not just focus on an insurance takeover)
    3. Review strategic options for reducing costs within each area
    4. Draft a mini plan for each area of concern (one big plan will never get passed)
    5. Debate-finalize-ratify-sign
    6. Wash-rinse-repeat, as necessary.
    And delay, delay, delay at all costs. I mean, we've only been trying to do this for decades. Give those drug companies and insurance companies all the time they need to line the pockets of the legislators. Whatever you do, delay. That way nothing will get done, and that's the best outcome. For morons.
  9. jmelan's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #2349  
    how to save money on health care costs:

    Step 1. Ban smoking in all public places:

    Smoking bans reduce heart attacks by a third - the msnbc version

    and the academic version, published in the journal "Circulation":

    Declines in Acute Myocardial Infarction After Smoke-Free Laws and Individual Risk Attributable to Secondhand Smoke
  10. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #2350  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelan View Post
    how to save money on health care costs:

    Step 1. Ban smoking in all public places:

    Smoking bans reduce heart attacks by a third - the msnbc version

    and the academic version, published in the journal "Circulation":

    Declines in Acute Myocardial Infarction After Smoke-Free Laws and Individual Risk Attributable to Secondhand Smoke
    Good point. If we simply make smoking illegal we will save 440,000 lives per year. Similarly, we can save 75,000 lives per year if we make alcohol illegal. We can save 30,000 lives per year by making guns illegal. We can save up to 65,000 lives per year by mandating influenza vaccines. And since obesity kills 300,000 a year, we need to do something about it too. Now, we can't very well make obesity illegal but we can certainly tax it heavily, thereby creating an incentive to stay trim. That's a total of 910,000 lives.

    There you have it. I just saved almost a million lives a year. Who could possibly be against any of this?
  11. #2351  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Good point. If we simply make smoking illegal we will save 440,000 lives per year. Similarly, we can save 75,000 lives per year if we make alcohol illegal. We can save 30,000 lives per year by making guns illegal. We can save up to 65,000 lives per year by mandating influenza vaccines. And since obesity kills 300,000 a year, we need to do something about it too. Now, we can't very well make obesity illegal but we can certainly tax it heavily, thereby creating an incentive to stay trim. That's a total of 910,000 lives.

    There you have it. I just saved almost a million lives a year. Who could possibly be against any of this?
    Well I like gun-toting, fat chicks who smell of cigarette smoke and always have a runny nose, so youre really starting to **** me off.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  12. #2352  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Well I like gun-toting, fat chicks who smell of cigarette smoke and always have a runny nose, so youre really starting to **** me off.
    Good one Wolf!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  13. #2353  
    yeah and we like the idea of our health insurance being considered as wages and being taxed and we like the idea of the federal government fining us for not buying health insurance - isn't this America and in America are we forced to buy things by the government? Betcha this wanna fine us for not buying insurance is unconstitutional.
  14. #2354  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    yeah and we like the idea of our health insurance being considered as wages and being taxed and we like the idea of the federal government fining us for not buying health insurance - isn't this America and in America are we forced to buy things by the government? Betcha this wanna fine us for not buying insurance is unconstitutional.
    We sure are. We're forced to buy billion dollar jets and aircraft carriers and pay for Blackwater thugs, and nobody asked my opinion. Too bad for me, right? Well, too bad for you too. At least we could simplify it by just paying for it out of taxes....but you'd rather waste your money supporting insurance companies. Great judgement.
  15. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #2355  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    And delay, delay, delay at all costs. I mean, we've only been trying to do this for decades. Give those drug companies and insurance companies all the time they need to line the pockets of the legislators. Whatever you do, delay. That way nothing will get done, and that's the best outcome. For morons.
    Nothing I said indicated a time factor. It was a process layout. It could occur in a day, a week, a month, or a year. The point is to do the right thing, not the wrong thing that causes higher taxes, fines, and penalties for john q. public.

    And enough of the name calling. If you don't agree, say so. I don't appreciate being called a moron.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  16. #2356  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Nothing I said indicated a time factor. It was a process layout. It could occur in a day, a week, a month, or a year. The point is to do the right thing, not the wrong thing that causes higher taxes, fines, and penalties for john q. public.

    And enough of the name calling. If you don't agree, say so. I don't appreciate being called a moron.
    OK, I don't agree. However, I do agree with your sigline.
    You may interpret my post however you want, and determine if I was calling anyone a name, other than those who want to delay and do nothing. That doesn't appear to include you, right?
    Sorry....you are wrong about how rapid such an effort might take place. Realistically? Give me an estimate.
  17. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #2357  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    OK, I don't agree. However, I do agree with your sigline.
    You may interpret my post however you want, and determine if I was calling anyone a name, other than those who want to delay and do nothing. That doesn't appear to include you, right?
    Sorry....you are wrong about how rapid such an effort might take place. Realistically? Give me an estimate.
    I guess it should take as long as it takes - and that's not meant as a smart*ss answer. It took decades to get us to this point, so "realistically" it won't be an up and down vote that turns this ship around.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  18. #2358  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I guess it should take as long as it takes - and that's not meant as a smart*ss answer. It took decades to get us to this point, so "realistically" it won't be an up and down vote that turns this ship around.
    Oh come on Micael, you know the magical Democrats and The One can fix anything almost immediately. Knowing what best for everyone, better than they know themselves gives you that kind of power. Where have you been?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  19. #2359  
    Thing that most people over look is that the Public Option is simply an option. If you can afford private insurance then get it. If you cannot then you will have a Gov. funded option which may make seeking health care more accessible.

    At least there is an attempt to remedy/fix the issues. Ex. being dropped b/c of some prior condition.

    Also why not submit ideas to your local officials. Lets work to make this idea an reality!
  20. #2360  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post
    Thing that most people over look is that the Public Option is simply an option. If you can afford private insurance then get it. If you cannot then you will have a Gov. funded option which may make seeking health care more accessible.

    At least there is an attempt to remedy/fix the issues. Ex. being dropped b/c of some prior condition.

    Also why not submit ideas to your local officials. Lets work to make this idea an reality!
    Sorry. You are making the mistake of thinking that some of these people want to change the system. They voted against change, and now they are putting that vote into inaction. Additionally, when you say it's only an option, they say "you lie" because they don't believe you. Or the president. And as far as those who don't currently have access.....TS.

Posting Permissions