Page 117 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1767107112113114115116117118119120121122127 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 2855
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Well now. You might actually have something there. Maybe Woof could refresh his memory by reading what you said very carefully (maybe that will also get him to find a definition for association that deals with statistical association instead of just pulling something off the web that has nothing whatsoever to do with what we're talking about). It is the difference between cause and association. As I stated before, cause is not the same as association, but there are characteristics of an association that makes it more likely to be a causal association. This association meets many of the criteria as outlined by Bradford Hill including strength of association, plausability, and consistency. Playing semantics about the difference is childish, but not unexpected given the source. Yes, the media piece was a bit biased and misleading in their terminology. That's why you need to read original articles....and be able to understand them. If you pay a lot of attention to media descriptions of scientific articles, you need to reconsider that plan. The fact is that in this case, it makes no difference what words they use....the data speaks for itself. In this study, people without insurance were about 1 and half times more likely to die than those with insurance, with a confidence interval that could have been as high as almost twice as likely. The difference was real, as it was statistically significant.
    At least I am not redefining words to further my agenda. If your case was so solid, there would be no "semantics" argument. It could stand on its own.

Question. If your patients don't have health insurance, do you tell them they are going to die?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Well now. You might actually have something there. Maybe Woof could refresh his memory by reading what you said very carefully (maybe that will also get him to find a definition for association that deals with statistical association instead of just pulling something off the web that has nothing whatsoever to do with what we're talking about). It is the difference between cause and association. As I stated before, cause is not the same as association, but there are characteristics of an association that makes it more likely to be a causal association. This association meets many of the criteria as outlined by Bradford Hill including strength of association, plausability, and consistency. Playing semantics about the difference is childish, but not unexpected given the source. Yes, the media piece was a bit biased and misleading in their terminology. That's why you need to read original articles....and be able to understand them. If you pay a lot of attention to media descriptions of scientific articles, you need to reconsider that plan. The fact is that in this case, it makes no difference what words they use....the data speaks for itself. In this study, people without insurance were about 1 and half times more likely to die than those with insurance, with a confidence interval that could have been as high as almost twice as likely. The difference was real, as it was statistically significant.
    Oh an another thing. Why is everyone who disagrees with you childish?
    If your patient gets a second opinion and the result contradicts yours do you tell the patient the other doc is just being childish?

Your condescension and name calling have gotten old.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Oh an another thing. Why is everyone who disagrees with you childish?
    If your patient gets a second opinion and the result contradicts yours do you tell the patient the other doc is just being childish?

Your condescension and name calling have gotten old.
    Disagreeing with my opinion is fine and I welcome it. Disagreeing with facts based on ignorance is a waste of everyone's time.

By the way....how do you know I have patients who don't have insurance? The reason a lack of insurance is associated with an increased risk of dying is because.....they don't get health care, right? Or do you think the association (which you agreed exists) is for some other reason? If so, please enlighten us.

And yes, I tell all my patients the truth if they ask....which is that they're going to die. All of them. They're just more likely to die sooner if they don't have insurance.
    Last edited by davidra; 09/20/2009 at 03:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Obama snubs Fox News in his record-breaking media blitz. I guess he cherishes Univision's viewership more than FNC's over 50% market share. I'm sure that will go a long way in uniting the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    So suffice it to say that you didn't actually read the article and find out that it didn't say what your 'data' said it did.
    I was being facetious - I read the article, but thought that WND was too over-the-top to link to directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You mean the one where Worldnetdaily actually didn't say that Barack Obama equals Antichrist?
    They certainly promoted that "theory", with an article entitled "Did Jesus actually reveal name of the AntiChrist", with links to the Youtube video. I know, I know...."they didn't say it, they're just askin' questions." [/glenn beck]

And, of course, if you look at the reactions posted to this "article", you'll see it got the crazy reaction you would expect from anyone willing to visit that site.
    Last edited by Bujin; 09/20/2009 at 03:01 PM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Obama snubs Fox News in his record-breaking media blitz. I guess he cherishes Univision's viewership more than FNC's over 50% market share. I'm sure that will go a long way in uniting the country.
    Maybe he wanted to stick to actual news sites.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Maybe he wanted to stick to actual news sites.
    Unlikely.

Letterman to Interview Obama on Monday - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com
    OK, then, maybe he quite rightly realized that Fox's market share is because neo-cons are all concentrated on one channel, and since there's nothing that he can say to change a single mind on that channel.....similar to the way that no amount of facts can convince so many that his birth certificate is valid or that he's not a Muslim.....he didn't want to waste his time.

What good could it possible do for Obama to go on Fox News? The viewers of Fox News all hate him. That was well demonstrated by the people at the Tea Party.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Disagreeing with my opinion is fine and I welcome it. Disagreeing with facts based on ignorance is a waste of everyone's time.

By the way....how do you know I have patients who don't have insurance? The reason a lack of insurance is associated with an increased risk of dying is because.....they don't get health care, right? Or do you think the association (which you agreed exists) is for some other reason? If so, please enlighten us. And yes, I tell all my patients the truth if they ask....which is that they're going to die. All of them. They're just more likely to if they don't have insurance.
    Haven't seen any facts. Just opinion based on easily manipulated statistics.

I am sure you don't have any patients w/o insurance. Probably the first question your staff asks a patient "Do you have insurance?"

We're all going to die. That's not news.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Just curious, how many of you people claiming that President Obama is "Destroying Health Care in America" actually voted for him? President Obama beat John McCain 53% to 46%. I recall that he made reforming health care a major plank of his platform. So how many of the 53% now oppose the same health policies they voted for? I'm guessing NOT MANY.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    What good could it possible do for Obama to go on Fox News? The viewers of Fox News all hate him. That was well demonstrated by the people at the Tea Party.
    Maybe. But it seems the margin for viewership is more evenly distributed in Fox than the other cable news channels. If so, that means either your statement is not correct or a good number of Democrats who watch Fox also hate Obama.

The audiences for CNN and MSNBC, which were heavily Democratic two years ago, have become even more so: fully 51% of CNN’s regular viewers are Democrats while only 18% are Republicans. MSNBC’s audience makeup is similar– 45% of regular viewers of MSNBC are Democrats, 18% are Republicans.

The regular audience for the Fox News Channel continues to include more Republicans
    than Democrats. Currently, 39% of regular Fox News viewers are Republicans while 33% are
    Democrats; in 2006, the margin was 38% to 31%.
    http://people-press.org/reports/pdf/444.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Haven't seen any facts. Just opinion based on easily manipulated statistics.
    Actually, that explains a lot. You really don't know the difference between facts and opinion. Why am I not surprised about that?
    Did anyone see the updated 60 minutes special on the DEKA arm? It's a $100 million dollar Pentagon project, and I believe the money is well spent. Ling said:

"It's a huge number. But it does a number of things. Number one is, of course, it fulfills our commitment to these fine your men and women who the issue of money compared to what they have done for the service of the nation becomes immaterial,"

Anybody disagree?

The Pentagon's Bionic Arm - 60 Minutes - CBS News
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    Man! Talk about reaching for conclusions for the sake of just being argumentative. Enjoy yourself, but I'm not going along on your joyride.
    Says the guy who stole the car.
    Not that any of this is remotely related to healthcare,
    I completely agree. Thanks go to you and Palandri for starting the distraction.
    as for Worldnetdaily's claim that the name "Barack Obama" = "antichrist", I believe Bujin's link speaks for itself.
    Yes, it certainly does.
    IMO, the issue of healthcare is much better served by removing the partisanism, so maybe it's best to just leave this bit of garbage behind?
    Agreed.
    I should've known better than to accept the bait a couple pages ago.
    ITYM set the bait. Woof was the one who accepted it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I was being facetious - I read the article, but thought that WND was too over-the-top to link to directly.
    While their site certainly seems to be filled with much kookery, the particular article mentioned does not come to the conclusions expressed in the article you did link to.
    They certainly promoted that "theory", with an article entitled "Did Jesus actually reveal name of the AntiChrist", with links to the Youtube video.
    What conclusion did they come to?
    I know, I know...."they didn't say it, they're just askin' questions." [/glenn beck]
    So, you're saying that asking loaded questions like "Christian churches are teaching that the name "Barack Obama's" origin is literally "antichrist"?" can sometimes not be simply questions, but accusations?
    And, of course, if you look at the reactions posted to this "article", you'll see it got the crazy reaction you would expect from anyone willing to visit that site.
    They appear to me to be the same sort of reactions posted on the Examiner. Just on the opposite side of the coin.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    OK, then, maybe he quite rightly realized that Fox's market share is because neo-cons are all concentrated on one channel, and since there's nothing that he can say to change a single mind on that channel.....similar to the way that no amount of facts can convince so many that his birth certificate is valid or that he's not a Muslim.....he didn't want to waste his time.
    See my response to palandri on the same topic. FNC has the most balanced viewership of all the major cable news networks.
    See my response to palandri on the same topic. FNC has the most balanced viewership of all the major cable news networks.
    Instead of arguing in favor of Fox News or MSNBC, why don't we try to watch and support news sources with known journalistic integrity like the News Hour or the Christian Science Monitor?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Instead of arguing in favor of Fox News or MSNBC, why don't we try to watch and support news sources with known journalistic integrity like [URL=" News Hour[/URL] or the [URL=" Science Monitor[/URL]?
    Did Obama sit down with either of them?
    Did Obama sit down with either of them?
    Not sure what you mean. Am I missing the initial point that I jumped into being whom the President appeared on today?