1.    #1  
    Please vote brown dog or black dog on smashedbug.com -- your vote counts!!

Joe
    Hey, Hey mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove......
    I think it's a really dark purple, but there's no write-in. I'm not being represented! I demand a recount! Free the Expo 67!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Yorick
    Free the Expo 67!
    *stepping on your hair*
    You're fat.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    There's no spot to complain about the flash used, angle of the photograph, angle of the flash (obviously it was direct with that much red , yellow, eye) type of film used, the amount of resolution on the scanner, the resolution on my screen, the type of dog used, the background, the height of the photographer relative to the height of the dog.....given all of the above are we even sure that it is a dog?

It could be a very large cat with a dog Halloween costume. It could even be a very small horse in a Dog Halloween costume. It could be something done up by the people at Pixel to make it appear as a dog.

The real burning question is what does Cerulean (Joe) get if he wins the bet - that is the driving issue here? Come on Joe - fess up. Is the bet similar to Barry Bonds and Eric Davis regarding Barry's ability to break 70 home runs and the pay off is a Mercedes?

You know that many of us can be bribed!

I'm with Yorick - it's really dark purple but perhaps with a touch of persimmon throw in.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    Hey, Hey mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove......
    Opening lyrics from a Led Zepplin tuner for all of you "youngsters" from a song titled "Black Dog" off of the obsure album title that contains the most famous song, Stairway to Heaven". 1971
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    off of the obsure album title
    "Four" is obscure? you're not going to explain d-r's post r ya? (you don't have to, I know exactly what he meant)
    okay, okay, I'm being A.R., sorry.

oh - decided I should clarify a little. I have a friend with a dark purple Saturn, which looks black unless you're close to it. No smashed bugs on it tho, least not the last time I saw it.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Yeah, I've been called that - but in this case I have no clue what you guys were referring to so I can't be A.R. on your posts.

Four being obscure - well that all depends. On the CD (that I have) - there is no reference to any name whatsoever. The original album (vinyl) had some weird designs (for the time) that were actually later described in certain circles as being satanic in their origin. This description was by the holy rollers at the time that thought all heavy metal was satanic and should be banned. Mild lyrics now compared to M & M ( I refuse to spell his name properly. My form of mild protest ).

The designs, I believe, were actually horoscope signs for the band members of which their were 4 and 4 band members. Thus the album commonly became known as four. And it was the fourth released by the band. Their first three albums were named as Led Zepplin, L.Z. II, and L.Z. III. That's the problem with re-cast CD's from Vinyl or analog tapes.....you just don't get the same stuff that came with the album.

I'm still waiting on Joe to explain what the bet is and then he can probably tell us if the dog is Black, Brown, or Purple ( with a tint of persimmon).

Dampeoples, I meant no disrespect in unvailing your lyric....Yorick is correct although he didn't outright say it .....it was A.R. of me to describe your post please excuse. It was just sooooo inviting to see that someone actually knows something of Led Zepplin....a by gone era compared to much of today's music.

Moose Man
    Four being obscure - well that all depends. On the CD (that I have) - there is no reference to any name whatsoever.
    when I was in high school, my Zep obsessed friend referred to it alternately as "Four" "Runes" or "Zoso" (the only one of the runic symbols that resembles modern alphabetic characters).
    The official site calls it "Untitled."

paraphrase: [Debate] is marching on ... and [debate] is still marching on ...
    Originally posted by Yorick

"Zoso"
    Yeah, now it's coming back to me from the fuzz in my brain. Zoso was what I recall was listed on the edge of the album. Thanks, Yorick.
    Moose Man
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Most people refer to that particular Led Zep Album as 4 because it came after Led Zep 3. The symbols refer to the four band members, but I don't believe they have anything to do with the zodiac. More likely, they are from some ancient script that Robert Plant was interested in. He had a penchant for old cultures and fantasy novels set in Medieval worlds. Thus, the several references to Lord of the Rings throughout their early songs.

The official name is "Untitled," since it wasn't really titled. Sort of like how the Beatles White Album doesn't really have a title. Everyone calls it "The White Album," but they never called it that.

A lot of bands, like Van Halen, or Rush, give no title to their debut album, in which case, the reviewers refer to it as "the self-titled debut." But when bands choose not to title an album more than once, as in the case with the first Zepplin album and the fourth, confusion usually sets in.

Then, of course, there are artists like Peter Gabriel and Seal, who have several consecutive albums that are untitled. Eventually, the marketing people get them to start coming up with names, just for the sake of differentiation.

Ultimately, it's better for sales to have a name that people can remember and use to answer the question "What's that called?" when they are on the phone with their friends. That's why Prince's whole "Artist formerly known as Prince" thing didn't really work out. Who wants to say all that?
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    The official name is "Untitled," since it wasn't really titled. Sort of like how the Beatles White Album doesn't really have a title. Everyone calls it "The White Album," but they never called it that.
    I beg to differ with you. The official name is not "Untitled". There is no official name, the band and record company chose not to give it a title. You are right however that most people called it LZ Four because their first three albaums were titled LZ, LZ II, and LZ III, and this was the fourth album.

On the other hand the Beatles "White Album" did and does have a title. The album was entitled "The Beatles". Everyone called it "The White Album" because it was all white including the title (in raised letters and the album spine and therefore hard to read or even notice).

The characters on the album cover were Plant's interpretation of ancient Celtic runes that have never (to my knowledge) been translated.

God I love it when music from my day is discussed. I still have all of my ALBUMS and play them all the time. I think they sound much richer and fuller than these here new-fangled CD's.
    Jonathan
    "When will those puny earthlings discover the superior quality of vinyl?"
    -Aliens on The Simpsons

Dampeoples, I meant no disrespect in unvailing your lyric....Yorick is correct although he didn't outright say it .....it was A.R. of me to describe your post please excuse. It was just sooooo inviting to see that someone actually knows something of Led Zepplin....a by gone era compared to much of today's music.

I forgot to reply! Too much work...
    Anyway - no offense taken, glad someone can appreciate good music...
    The local radio station, "The Hawk" at 104.1 here in Modesto had a trivia question giveaway regarding what was the very first Led Zepplin album to have an actual title other than the numerical release and of course it was "Houses of the Holy".

I need to go because I think I hear Jerry Garcia playing the theme from Twilight Zone in the background........
    Moose Man
    Originally posted by mrjoec
    A lot of bands, like Van Halen, or Rush, give no title to their debut album, in which case, the reviewers refer to it as "the self-titled debut."
    Actually, in most cases it actually is a "self-titled debut." The album is titled after the band name. It's eponymous.
    It only gets really weird when you have Weezer and Peter Gabriel doing that several times ...

That's why Prince's whole "Artist formerly known as Prince" thing didn't really work out. Who wants to say all that?
    That was just the media's response to his "unpronounceable symbol" nonsense. Which is over because the term of the contract he changed his name to get around is over.
    RSGMOOSE said:
    what was the very first Led Zepplin album to have an actual title other than the numerical release
    Actually the answer should really have been the first LZ album. The title of that was "Led Zepplin". It did not have any number after it.
    Jonathan