1.    #1  
    In my 52 years I have never seen our nation more divided.

What ever happened to the "loyal opposition"?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post

Define please?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    The loyal opposition. Divided nation. Well, we are there. The democrat side has sooooo many subdivisions to it, but it is still united - mainly through the heavy fists of its leadership.

The republican side though has lost its way. Get another Regan in position and see what happens.
    I agree, we've become much more divided. The two sides have much more difficulty in having civil policy debates without it becoming personalized, with name calling / accusations / derision.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

2000 was the death knell for this.

The questionable election (I don't want to get into who was right or not or any of that BS, lets just agree that if an election must go to the SCOTUS that its at least a bit questionable) really sparked it. It was bad with Clinton and the perjury thing, but that wasn't too far off from standard fair.

2000 really kicked off the point where it was opposition for the sake of opposition, and screw loyalty or politeness in any way. For 8 years, save for a few months following 9/11, the democrats in power and the general active base in the electorate were completely and utterly against Bush and stopped at nothing to insult him, his constituents, and his policies. Unfortunantly, like little 5 year old children, as the tables reverse the Republicans are doing the exact same thing to Obama.

I think the most humerous, sadly, thing about all this is the fact that the Democrats were talking about how patriotic it was to dissent against the government for 8 years with Republicans decrying it....and now Republicans are trying to say how patriotic it is to speak against government with Democrats decrying it.

I blame the politicians more than anything else, they've realized division works.

I definitely understand the sentiment, but you know we've always had division in this country, even fought a civil war over it. Maybe the level of frustration is heightened because the general duplicity of some politicians is glaringly obvious. You know a politician use to be able to at least hide behind a good argument, even if he had an ulterior motive. Now some of them just look silly. In the age of Obama, sound bites just will not cut it anymore.

(let me put on some fire repellant for the flames that are about to occur since I mentioned the name Obama) hahahaha
    Iago

"Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls: Who steals my purse steals trash . . . But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed."

Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation.
    - Howard Scott
    Politicians (of whom we have MANY career ones now) and other media figures make a living out of divisiveness. "It's us against those evil people, so keep me in power to fight for you!!"

Honestly, I don't believe we're really as "divided" nowadays as the press and politicians would have us believe. If a divide is more noticeable these days, perhaps it's because the government is involved in far more aspects of everyday life than it was 50 years ago. There's a lot more opportunity to be upset about what they're doing because their hands are in so much. Many of the programs that raise people's ire these days weren't around in 1960. There were no complaints about something like "welfare moms" because Welfare didn't exist.

Besides, harsh tones have always been around. It's nothing new within the past 50 years. Aaron Burr killed Alexander Hamilton in a duel that was the result of their political bickering.

"Filthy Story-Teller, Despot, Liar, Thief, Braggart, Buffoon, Usurper, Monster, Ignoramus Abe, Old Scoundrel, Perjurer, Robher, Swindler, Tyrant, Field-Butcher, Land-Pirate." - Harper's Weekly talking about Abraham Lincoln.

"... and to you, sir, treacherous in private friendship ... and a hypocrite in public life, the world will be puzzled to decide whether you are an apostate or an impostor, whether you have abandoned good principles or whether you ever had any." Thomas Paine to George Washington

"[a] hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman." - James Callender speaking of John Adams
    Last edited by semprini; 06/15/2009 at 03:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Who is the disloyal opposition?
    Anyone that disagrees with the party in power.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I think Senators and Congressmen should reinstate dueling with pistols to settle differences on the House and Senate floors!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ...ok well maybe not, but you have to admit, it would be cool to watch!