1.    #1  
    Anybody still into MP3's? If so, what kind of music do you like? Here's a sample of my broad tastes.

Classic Rock
    Reggae (Traditional and DJ)
    Heavy Metal
    Rap-Core
    Old Rap
    Jazz
    Alternative

Oh heck, pretty much anything, although not too fond of classical or country, but like some of each.
    I have an eMusic account. Mostly I've downloaded They Might Be Giants, punk, comedy, and 40's jazz.
    it's a legal service and the artists supposedly get paid a fee for every download.
    I've also ripped about 50 or so albums & singles from my cd collection. Beatles, Tori Amos, some soundtracks.

there's another thread around someplace about musical tastes.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  3.    #3  
    I never bought any MP3's, I just used Napster in hotel room T-1 lines until the music companies started complaining, I managed to get around 4000 tunes before it was decided it was wrong.
    I have encoded hundreds of CD's. I use RipEnc with GoGo in BeOS. I get 15x speeds with my 1.4GHz Athlon. BeOS is an MP3 junkie's dream OS.
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/a...592772,00.html
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
  5.    #5  
    1.4GHz!
    I'm crawling at 466 desktop
    433 laptop
    33 Prism

I never ripped any cd's, i just don't have the HD space, I only have 30GB, and 20 is USB and slow.
    I have had zero luck getting mp3s off the net since napster. I downloaded limewire and....it didn't work (missing a file, and it doesn't allow uninstall). I tried Bearshare, but it would download until it read 99%complete, then I would get an error message! Two days ago my desktop crashed and I lost a lot of my old music files
    I'm glad you guys are having good luck
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    I never ripped any cd's, i just don't have the HD space, I only have 30GB, and 20 is USB and slow.
    I put in a 60GB (57 after format) internal last fall before I started seriously fiddling with music files. At present about 18 GB is being used for MP3 (about 4900 files, 11+ days worth of sound, per iTunes). That doesn't count the stuff I've dl'd but haven't filed yet, which probably takes up another coupla gigs.
    I've thought about ripping all of my CDs, but I have close to 900 discs (approximate) in an ever-growing collection so I'll have to get a couple of external HD's for that.

I feel bad for you ovaltine -- I don't have a backup for this stuff at the moment and I'd lose it if I lost it. I mean I'd freak out if I lost it. (which wouldn't be too bad, except for the red jammies and the blue skin.)

by the way ... try Hotline.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by ovaltine
    I have had zero luck getting mp3s off the net since napster. I downloaded limewire and....it didn't work (missing a file, and it doesn't allow uninstall). I tried Bearshare, but it would download until it read 99%complete, then I would get an error message! Two days ago my desktop crashed and I lost a lot of my old music files
    I'm glad you guys are having good luck
    Try Winmx @Winmx.com
  9.    #9  
    I havn't tried lately, but audiogalaxy was my drug of choice after Napster, but I heard they were not accepting new accounts. I think I may back all mine up on CD's and get one of those cd-mp3 players and have lots of stuff to listen to on the road.
    Hmmm.... good posts! I thank you and my rca lyra thanks you.
  11.    #11  
    Hey Ovaltine, I've got a lyra as well, do you have the first one or Lyra2? I wanna buy a 128MB or larger CF card for it and RCA recommends 64MB max, you tried a card larger than 64?
    Dampeoples, I have the first lyra. I have only tried 64, but I have been thinking that perhaps RCA made the 64 limit recommendation b/c there were no Type I cards at 128 at the time? Maybe?... Hopefully?...
  13.    #13  
    race ya to buy one!
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    1.4GHz!
    I'm crawling at 466 desktop
    433 laptop
    33 Prism

Before I built my new system, I only had an 8GB partition for MP3's, so I would dump them onto CD-R. The only problem with that is you don't know where a certain song or artist is on which disc. Here's a solution:
    In BeOS, I use Virtual File Archive. It reads the disc and outputs the folders and files, so they appear that they are on the hard drive; that way it is still possible to run a query! It's free at: http://www.bebits.com/app/1843
    In Windows, I use MPEG Audio Collection. It does the same thing, but creates its own searchable database. Very impressive program, and it's free! http://www.jfaul.de/
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley