Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Toby
    Korea was a 'police action'. Vietnam was a 'conflict'.
    Regardless of political and public relations rhetoric, Vietnam was and is a war.
    I direct you to "The Rise and Fall of an American Army" by Captain Shelby L. Stanton. He's a veteran of the war and a military historian. It's always been considered a war in military circles.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

..What do you suppose Nader woulda done?

I sure know what Buchanan (sp?) would have done by now. Any nation suspected of harboring terrorists would have been radioactive craters a week ago.
    Regarding liberties,

I would not mind an extensive search at an airport, since it (hopefully) would catch many would-be hijackers.
    Facial scanners are somewhat different. I would have to be sure that the ONLY people in the system would be the wanted people, so as not to be falsely accused for looking like Osama Bin Ladin.
    Airline travel is serious, and as we have seen much damage can be done. I support heavy security at these institutions.
    I can't speak for the other Canadians who read VC, but personally I found his exclusion of our country and the aid (financial and physical) of our citizens was rather insulting. Not to mention the many Canadians who died on the 11th.

mc
    I'm sure his omission was inadvertent. We love you guys (and gals).
    Originally posted by VTL
    aw, speak for yerself. I hate them Canadian geese. rotten little furshluggin ... and those stupid mountie uniforms! They look like geek forest rangers! Then those people from Kay-Beck who come down to Saratoga to vacation .. can't even learn inglush and expect you to know what they're sayin ...

I'm jesting of course. (It's what I do.) I have some very good friends who are Canadians. Let's hope we don't start putting ethnic groups under watch and only target specific individuals who are suspected of being terrorists (hopefully because of their actions, not their ethnicity or religion).
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by VTL
    actually, many think it was due to fact that our prime minister publicly supported Gore during the elections.

though i can understand Bush being peeved at this, i still don't think it's a good reason to snub our helpful citizens.

hell, i think Bush is an ***** man-child but i still offered my sympathy and ponied up cash and blood to try and help.

mc
    Well, I think Blair "backed" Gore (like it's any non-American's damn business), and Bush has been quite effusive in his praise of him. I still think it was an inadvertent omission. America has always appreciated Canada's friendship.

On the other hand, if you want to keep calling my president an "***** man-child" maybe I'll retract my earlier statement. I post something pleasant, and this is your response? Very nice.
    Originally posted by Yorick
    Regardless of political and public relations rhetoric, Vietnam was and is a war.
    I direct you to "The Rise and Fall of an American Army" by Captain Shelby L. Stanton. He's a veteran of the war and a military historian. It's always been considered a war in military circles.
    Of course it was/is. Note my use of single quotes (which in this context indicates that it is a use of the phrase by others with which I don't necessarily agree). Also, the flag has _nothing_ to do with the Constitution (other than peripherally through the first amendment).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    i still offered my sympathy and ponied up cash and blood to try and help.
    That has nothing at all to do with Bush, does it? I would like to think your compasion for your fellow man prompted you to help and not some elected official.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by Toby
    Note my use of single quotes
    ah. missed that.

Also, the flag has _nothing_ to do with the Constitution
    danke. as noted, I didn't research.
    Originally posted by MarkEagle

That has nothing at all to do with Bush, does it? I would like to think your compasion for your fellow man prompted you to help and not some elected official.
    well that's my point exactly. i hate bush but am sympathetic to the country's plight. i put aside my feelings for your leader and did what i could (blood & money).

however, bush seemed unable to do likewise. he, understandably perhaps, doesn't like our prime minister (trust me, he's not alone)yet he was unwilling to to put those feelings aside and acknowledge the support (physical/financial) of our citizens. worse, though several Canadians died, again they weren't mentioned (though other countries in the same situation were).

to those who say it was an accident, fine. believe what you wish. but i don't believe speakers at that level make screwups like that. in addition, consider if a similar tragedy happened here, and the usa assisted (as i'm sure they would), and our leader forgot to thank them. i'd be hard pressed to believe that no one would point it out or not find it insulting.

mc
    Originally posted by VTL
    On the other hand, if you want to keep calling my president an "***** man-child" maybe I'll retract my earlier statement. I post something pleasant, and this is your response? Very nice.
    i don't see how the pleasantness of your post is irrelevant to my thoughts on Bush.

mc
    however, bush seemed unable to do likewise. he, understandably perhaps, doesn't like our prime minister (trust me, he's not alone)yet he was unwilling to to put those feelings aside and acknowledge the support (physical/financial) of our citizens.
    Well, maybe he just assumes that Canada is one of the 50 states and missed the fact that it's a country.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    maybe he just assumes that Canada is one of the 50 states
    You mean 60 states.

You mean 60 states.
    he means 63 states.

mc
    he means 63 states.
    but 63 isn't funny.

but 63 isn't funny.
    ha. no. it's not. you're right.

silly me, putting accuracy before humour.

mc
    to those who say it was an accident, fine. believe what you wish. but i don't believe speakers at that level make screwups like that.
    How about "speech writers at that level don't make screwups like that".

It was a fine speech. It said what needed to be said (with the exception of not mentioning our northern neighbors), and I think it said what U.S. citizens wanted to hear. I don't for a second, though, believe that anyone who used "subliminably" in a sentance wrote it. Bush certainly gave a great speech, and he made it through all the big words just fine this time. I applaud the nameless individual who wrote it.
    Soul Raven - "Små hjerne, stor glæde"
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Interesting to read this almost three years after it was written.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast