Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    At the same time, I saw front end damage that was probably caused by this same type of behavior. Now you would have thought that this person would have learned- no. Stupid people.
    the only time I ever had front-end damage on my car, it was caused by striking a deer that was in the road, that ran in the direction that I was swerving towards to try to not hit it. You shouldn't just assume that damage to a car was caused by just being stupid. They might have been struck in a parking lot or bought the thing used with the damage already there.

Yorick,

Agreed but let me make that perfectly clear - I was referring to a specific situation where the gal behind the wheel with the damaged front end was: "I've seen people on the cell phone, smoking, reading and putting on makeup all at the same time."

However, deer do have a tendency to get that "blinded deer look" and not move out of the way and as I recall when I lived in Oregon, they would pick the worst spot on a blind corner to transgress across the road.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    It's my business if I travel over the speed limit, there is nothing in my employee handbook about speed,
    well, to be blunt, i don't think the person calling gives a damn about your employee handbook. they care about their safety and the safety of others in their community.

I understand that some of these people may feel that they are doing the company a favor, but once again, do I follow this person home/work/grocery store if they make a mistake in front of me and tell them about it?
    in my opinion, you should.

as a motorcycle rider, bicyclist, and (more often then not) pedestrian, i find the quality of driving in my city terrible. i feel that it IS my job, and the job of everyone in my neighbourhood, to let drivers know that we don't want them tearing *** thru our streets.

i have had friends killed by bad drivers. i have had pets killed by bad drivers. i have had property ruined by bad drivers. i've twice been hit by cars while crossing on a green.

i often make people aware of their poor driving habits. sometimes i do so verbally. sometimes i leave them a note. sometimes i kick the crap out of their cars. i have followed drivers home and given them a piece of my mind and many times broken their headlights and mirrors in anger. more than once i've reached into cars and ripped a cell phone out of a person's hand and thrown it into traffic. (after almost being hit because the jerk wasn't paying attention to the road because of the phone.)

if i'm walking down the street and a cop is ticketing someone for speeding or not stopping at a crosswalk or whatever, i thank the cop loudly and have even applauded.

i live in a residential neighbourhood where many people break the laws (the speed limit is 40). they speed. they run stop lights and stop signs. they do not signal. if i witness them doing any of this, and i'm able to get to them safely, i make damn sure they'll think twice about doing it again. i feel that this is my responsibility as someone who doesn't own a car and still likes to walk and cycle and ride around safely.

if someone is calling your company to complain about your driving habits, i'd bet dollars to donuts you're a poor driver (or at least were in those instances).

if the rules of your job do not permit you to follow the rules of the road (for instance if you're a courier and your company is expecting you to cover more miles than the law allows you to, safely), then you should complain. if complaints to your superiours do no good, complain to your gov't. in my province, we have a phone number to call if our work environment is not safe. this would certainly be an instance of an employer expecting an employee to work in an unsafe environment. perhaps your city/state has a similar service.

mc
  3.    #23  
    "i often make people aware of their poor driving habits. sometimes i do so verbally. sometimes i leave them a note. sometimes i kick the crap out of their cars. i have followed drivers home and given them a piece of my mind and many times broken their headlights and mirrors in anger. more than once i've reached into cars and ripped a cell phone out of a person's hand and thrown it into traffic. (after almost being hit because the jerk wasn't paying attention to the road because of the phone.) "

I was going to respond, but I feel like you are a poor judge of aggressive driving behavior after these actions.
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    ... and many times broken their headlights and mirrors in anger. more than once i've reached into cars and ripped a cell phone out of a person's hand and thrown it into traffic.
    mc, I'm surprised at you. Justified or not, with these actions you're breaking the law, as well as other people's property.
    Plus, you're putting yourself in danger by confronting these people when you follow them home. When I was little, my father had his arm broken as a result of confronting a group who'd parked their van in our lot for a party (owned a motel). He was even more justified, but it doesn't make you right.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    I was going to respond, but I feel like you are a poor judge of aggressive driving behavior after these actions.
    i don't see your leap in logic. how does my not wanting to get run over--and not putting up with people doing 70 in a neighbourhood where there are tons of children and senior citizens--have anything to do with my ability to tell whether someone has run thru a stop sign?

are you implying that my aggressive response to a dangerous driver is irrational? were i only occasionally witnessing poor driving i would agree with you. however, this is far from the case.

as someone who lives in a busy major metropolitan city, i encounter dangerous drivers almost daily (and often multiple times in a single day). when they come close to hitting me (or people around me) or tear *** down my street without regard for the people in my community i react in the only way that they seem to remember.

your post that started this thread shows exactly how effective any other response is. not at all.

mc
    Originally posted by Yorick
    mc, I'm surprised at you. Justified or not, with these actions you're breaking the law, as well as other people's property.
    Plus, you're putting yourself in danger by confronting these people when you follow them home. When I was little, my father had his arm broken as a result of confronting a group who'd parked their van in our lot for a party (owned a motel). He was even more justified, but it doesn't make you right.
    trust me, i've heard all sorts of arguments from people who disagree with me. on the other hand i've also been praised and applauded by people at the scene who wish they had the nerve to lash out at these ignorant people.

and i've yet to find any other means of getting people to behave responsibly in a car.

NO ONE admits to being a poor driver, yet each of us sees bad drivers every day.

you're correct, my actions are often illegal. i have had the police called on me once regarding it.

however, i have also witnessed the effect such actions have. some of the people who have felt my anger live in the surrounding area. they stop at the stop sign now. they don't double the speed limit. they signal.

to be perfectly honest with you, most of the people i've yelled at and whose cars i've kicked (and one of the people i've taken a cell phone from) have apologized profusely. usually bad drivers aren't aware of their errors until you point them out. god knows how many times i've almost been run over trying to cross the street while some jackass making a right hand turn is only looking left to make sure there is no traffic. a hard fist to his or her hood is a rude awakening. were i not to do it, i'd be hit. which do you think the driver would prefer?

and yes, once again, you are correct about putting myself into danger. thankfully, i've never had a single person get out of their car and attack me. this probably is because they always know they're in the wrong. (admittedly, i also "weigh" the chances of this before i strike out. yes, it's not accurate and there are no guarantees, but if the driver looks like he could kick my ***, i just get verbal on him. )

though i understand people's objections and shock at these admissions, at the same time i've found zero satisfaction in any other recourse (tried calling police, getting plate numbers, calling companies and complaining about employee driving, leaving polite notes, etc. these had zero effect.)

and perhaps my first post made it sound like i was screaming my head off running like a mad man chasing cars down the street. this isn't the case. usually, it's a close encounter with a car. like, i get tapped or nearly hit by someone and i kick their door, or mirror, or bang their trunk or hood. they usually think they've hit someone and stop and apologize.

the more severe things have been when the driver is very dangerous or very rude.

for instance, once i was crossing the street and a guy was stopped in a car with his wife and some kids in the back. he was on the phone. not watching, he came forward and tapped my leg. i punched his hood and his wife screamed and he stopped the car. he made eye contact with me but did not nod or make any indication he was sorry. he saw me, looked away, continue talking on his phone.

i continued to cross and when i was in front of him, so he couldn't NOT see me, i gave him the finger. he leaned on his horn (i was standing in front of his car). he let go of the horn and laughed. his wife was looking at HIM like he was mad. i walked over to his window, snatched the phone out of his hand and said "you're not laughing now, are you?" he wasn't. i then told him he was doing a hell of a job teaching his kids about manners.

i walked away, taking his phone with me. he quietly drove away and i threw the phone in the trash.

sure, he could have gotten out of the car and taken a swing, but instead, hopefully he learned a lesson. with any luck his wife later put him thru the wringer for his behaviour and his kid thinks he's a schmuck.

were i a little old lady or someone with slower reflexes, i'd be injured or worse.

mc
  7.    #27  
    "are you implying that my aggressive response to a dangerous driver is irrational? were i only occasionally witnessing poor driving i would agree with you. however, this is far from the case. "

yes, I am, regardless of the frequency, it's still wrong, as is my speeding.

"your post that started this thread shows exactly how effective any other response is. not at all. "

sure other responses are effective, I got reprimanded and now feel guilty, and try to tread more carefully.

That is all for now, I have a fishing tourney to attend.
    Sterling
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12