1.    #1  
    What's the best way to password protect / encrypt a sensitive Excel .xls file?
    What's the best way to password protect / encrypt a sensitive Excel .xls file?

Title says it all. I have a .xls file that I would like to password protect and make sure that no one can view/edit/change/delete it without a password. It doesn't even have to be an .xls, it can be a word doc...or something else, i just need a place to complie my info.

What's the best way to do it? I'm working on compiling a bunch of sensitive information on this xls file, so security is pretty important.

I plan to have this file on the public network, HOWEVER, when downloaded, it will automatically prompt for authentication prior to viewing. The reason for putting it on a network is that I need to be able to access this file from anywhere, anytime...but the info is secret, so I need the password.

Is this possible? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Well,

simple:
    open your spreadsheet, select File, Save As.
    In the dialog box click on Options, and there you have your choices.
    • Password to open
    • Password to modify

You can also protect formulas and macros in your sheet by hiding sheets or ranges, and password protecting the sheet from the Tools, Protection menu.
    I've got the digital blues, my soul is just another number (JJ Cale)

http://www.palmvenue.com
  3.    #3  
    how secure is this? can people hack their way through it?