Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by homer
    Bush is ready to call up 100,000 reservists or so. My question is what are they going to do?
    Maybe they're going to give the workers in New York a break and help out clearing debris? Another stated purpose has been "homeland defense". This more than likely would mean "taking care of the fort" here while the regular military is out doing whatever to whomever.
    Even though there is no way we can reason with these people, I do think we should try and learn as much as we can about THEIR reasoning behind hating this country.
    Because we have "corrupted" some of their holy places by our having people there or helping others who are "corrupting" their holy places.
    Maybe there are things we can do to prevent future attitudes like this from forming.
    Ever see Independence Day? What did the alien say that we could do for them?
    Perhaps engage in some open dialogue.
    Have you ever tried to engage in open dialogue with a religious zealot?
    I think we should study and learn from our enemy before killing them.
    What else do we need to know about them?
    BTW, I like the Rabid dog metaphor. It works on a lot of levels.
    I disagree. I don't think it works on any level. The people who commit these acts are not crazy in the conventional sense of the world, otherwise they could not operate in secrecy as long and as well as they obviously have. They just have a belief system that is alien to most of us.
    A rabid dog isn't consciously evil, it is simply infected with a peculiar disease.
    Yes, a disease with obvious signs before its final conclusion. Terrorists do not necessarily display any such signs.
    The same could be said for the terrorists.
    No, it couldn't.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    No, it couldn't.
    Yes it could. I just said it.

In regards to the metaphor, no metaphor is air-tight. Your points are valid.

In regards to my comments on learning more and opening a dialogue were not in reference to talking or reasoning with the actual terrorists, but rather just the world population in general. There is no excuse for what these terrorists did, that said, I think very few people understand their motivation behind the attack. Not that understanding it justifies it by any means, but knowing more about the enemy is only a good thing...it leads to more rational decision making on our side.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    The reading of the Beatitudes duing last Friday's Prayer and Rememberance service at the National Cathedral was right on point. It brought to mind, also, some other Christian Scriptures, and a remembrance from the movie "Gandhi":

In 1947, after years of nonviolent struggle, Gandhi saw independence finally came to India, but Gandhi despaired that the country was split in two, into Muslim Pakistan and Hindu India. Violence followed the independence and he fasted almost to the point of death which brought and end to the violence. During that fast, according to a scene in the "Gandhi" movie, a Hindu came to him and said I am going to hell. Gandhi asked him why. He said he had killed a Muslim boy. Gandhi replied, I know a way out of hell. Find a child with no parents and raise it. Only make sure it is a Muslim child and raise it as a Muslim.
    [/B]

Catholic Bishops and Muslim Leaders Issue Joint Statement:
    WASHINGTON (September 14, 2001) -- Catholic Bishops and Muslim leaders issued a joint statement today (September 14) in response to this week's terrorist attacks on the United
    States.

Noting that Catholics and Muslims meet together regularly and engage in many civic projects, the statement says: "We believe that the one God calls us to be peoples of peace. Nothing in our
    Holy Scriptures, nothing in our understanding of God's revelation, nothing that is Christian or Islamic justifies terrorist acts and disruption of millions of lives which we have witnessed this
    week. Together we condemn those actions as evil and diametrically opposed to true religion."

The Gospel According to Matthew , Chapter 5:
    1 When he saw the crowds, he went up the mountain, and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him.
    2 He began to teach them, saying:
    3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    4 Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
    5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
    6 Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
    7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
    8 8 Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
    9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

21 "You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, 'You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment.'
    22 But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, 'Raqa,' will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, 'You fool,' will be liable to fiery Gehenna.
    23 Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you,
    24 leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
    25 Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison.
    26 Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.

39 But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on (your) right cheek, turn the other one to him as well.
    40 If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well.
    41 Should anyone press you into service for one mile, go with him for two miles.
    42 Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow.
    43 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'
    44 But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you,
    45 that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust.
    46 For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same?
    47 And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same?
    48 So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Paul's Letter to the Roman Christians, Chapter 12:

9 Let love be sincere; hate what is evil, hold on to what is good;
    10 love one another with mutual affection; anticipate one another in showing honor.
    11 Do not grow slack in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.
    12 Rejoice in hope, endure in affliction, persevere in prayer.
    13 Contribute to the needs of the holy ones, exercise hospitality.
    14 6 Bless those who persecute (you), bless and do not curse them.
    15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
    16 Have the same regard for one another; do not be haughty but associate with the lowly; do not be wise in your own estimation.
    17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil; be concerned for what is noble in the sight of all.
    18 If possible, on your part, live at peace with all.
    19 Beloved, do not look for revenge but leave room for the wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord."
    20 Rather, "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head."
    21 Do not be conquered by evil but conquer evil with good.
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12