Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, one of the moderators can move this when they want to.

For now, three planes have crashed into the twin towers in New York collapsing the south tower and setting the North tower on fire. An additional plane has crashed into the the Pentagon. This is apparently a coordinated terrorist act.

All air traffic is being shutdown. Now would be a good time to let everyone know you're ok, by E-mail though the phones are jammed up already. I have EM2 pics of the towers from yesterday, seems odd now.

If anyone is affected be it near the tragedy or stuck in a strange city, post here, lets see what we can do.
    -----------------------
    Ordered 1 VDlx Blue
    1:00am Sept 15th
    Received 10:30am Oct 26th
    followup: a few minutes after the above post, the second tower collapsed. The news ( don't know what channel) is on in the other room and I hear that there has been a car bombing at the Capital building in Washington (unconfirmed) and a hijacked plane is circling an airport in (I think they said) Pittsburgh.
    Primary elections have been cancelled.

I'm just in shock. I've been working nights of late and this all happened within two hours of my getting home - right at the time I got my mail. I have to go to bed soon but I don't know how I'll sleep.

(addendum)
    whatever channel says it's believed eight planes -- these are all commercial ones, I gather -- were hijacked, five of which have not been identified yet and believed to be still in the air. one of which is possibly the Pittsburgh one (which itself has now crashed, near the city). Fighter jets are being sent.

Not intenting to be flip, but I feel like I'm in an '80's disaster movie-of-the-week.
    Last edited by Yorick; 09/11/2001 at 10:03 AM.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    I live right outside of DC, so I can let you know what is happening here. First, there was no car bomb outside the state department although a blast was heard near the Lincoln Memorial (unknown origin). Second, all the Federal buildings and monuments are shut down, and there is gridlock as people try to get out of the city. An F-15 was spotted flying low over the city. This is complete chaos, and the pictures of New York are unbelievable...horrendous and shocking. Just heard that American has two or more missing planes. My sister-in-law is a flight attendant for American, but we think she is off today...we are praying.
    I urge everyone to donate blood as soon as possible.
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    I'm following this here in PA and let me say being an Arab and a Muslim that such an act is no act of Islam and its only an act of MAD MEN!!!! I feel the ultimate soro for all that are effected and the whole people of the USA......

I pray to Allah to have mercy on all those that have been effected and that those responceble be brought to justice!!!
    "My sister-in-law is a flight attendant for American, but we think she is off today...we are praying."...Goodwink
    I hope she is...please let us know.

"I urge everyone to donate blood as soon as possible."...Galley_Simracer
    An excellent suggestion that needs to be followed up on. I will probably go this afternoon.

"its only an act of MAD MEN!!!!"...SAWolf
    MAD MEN who have been planning for a long, long time. I just pray that they are finished, but feel very uncertain that they are.
  7.    #7  
    Does anyone know of a working internet radio station? Everything seems to be jammed. Does anyone have the ability to setup a repeater to re-broadcast a new station?
    -----------------------
    Ordered 1 VDlx Blue
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    As I was walking up from my office off of Union Square to my fiance's office in Midtown Manhattan you could see all of the smoke in the sky and I was kicking myself that I didn't have my EM2 with me. I need that rhinopak soon! I'm glad I took a picture of downtown from the Brooklyn Bridge last Sunday.
    Hello all,

I would like to make a suggestion, as a Blood Bank physician, that if you are eligible to donate blood please do so. There are significant numbers of casualties from these attacks. In addition, shutting down the air traffic system means that the usual sharing of blood that occurs between places with large supplies (the Mid-West) and those that are chronically short (the East and West Coasts) is very difficult. Please donate. If the blood center you contact or visit is busy, come back later. This will be a problem over the next weeks. Remember, blood has a limited shelf-life.
    Donate Blood!!!
    Visit here to see how: America's Blood Centers
  10.    #11  
    I had a cold last week that means I can't donate this week right?
    -----------------------
    Ordered 1 VDlx Blue
    Originally posted by Andriod
    I had a cold last week that means I can't donate this week right?
    It depends upon the policies of the blood center where you donate. If you are over the cold (no symptoms, no fever, back to normal) and have been so for 72 hours, most centers will accept you.

Again, there will be a need over the next few weeks. If you cannot donate this week, please donate next week.
    Donate Blood!!!
    Visit here to see how: America's Blood Centers
    K. Cannon-
    My sister-in-law just called and is safe. Thanks for the concern. I also want to urge everyone to give blood soon.
    http://www.thebravest.com/fdny.htm

Normally has live broadcast of actual dispatch but seems to be down currently.

I've had a bit of success using the video and audio feeds available on Yahoo's main page - look for them on the right.

My prayers go out to all those involved and their families. Especially the fire fighters and other emergency responders.

America will never be the same.
    I'm am absolutely in utter shock. I go from Philadelphia to NY alot, and was always sortof comferted by seeing the twin towers, but now, it's awful.
    WHERE WERE YOU WHEN YOU FOUND OUT? You'll want to remember this.
    I was coming out of third period at school, when someone said to me, "Like, did you see what happened? With the, like, World Trade Centers?" I sortof believed her, and went to a place with a TV to find out what was going on. I saw some footage and started shaking all over. I went to the library, got onto MSNBC, couldn't believe it. I was really shaking. Next class, the teacher acted as it nothing had happened (and she's from Long Island!). Next class, we watched TV, but there was no remote, so I came to the rescue, and got the set for VCR only TV onto NBC, then since there was no antennae, I held the tip of the coaxial cable, and I ended up being the antennae. But I was so shaken, I eventually showed someone else how to do it, and went to a phone to join the never ending list of people calling there parents. My school was closing, because it is one of the biggest Jewish High Schools around. My mom came, picked me and 7 other kids up (we only have a station wagon, it was a tough squeeze) and drove them all home, nearby.

I don't understand. I heard something about a crash near Camp David, but nothing since.

Also, what does this mean to Visor Adventure? Does it continue it's trip? I hope so.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by goodwink
    K. Cannon-
    My sister-in-law just called and is safe. Thanks for the concern. I also want to urge everyone to give blood soon.
    Glad to hear it. I am sure that this will touch everyone's life through friends, relatives, acquaintances...all the more reason to GIVE BLOOD!

Kelley
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    I don't understand. I heard something about a crash near Camp David, but nothing since.
    We heard this too, but nothing since the original discussions. The commentator went so far as to say this was the anniversary of the original Camp David Accords, but I have researched and found those were technically signed on September 17th, not 11th. (Although the meetings were from Sept. 6th or so through the 17th)
  17.    #18  
    RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR
    This is only a rumor
    The story here is that the plane that crashed near Pittsburg was somehow originally intended for Camp David.
    -----------------------
    Ordered 1 VDlx Blue
    News on the Camp David front:

There has been no attack on Camp David. The jet that crashed outside Pittsburg (I think it was Pittsburg, may have been Philly) may have been headed in that direction but obviously did not make it there (thank you Lord).

Blood donation is very important but I think prayer is right up there with it. If you pray, please do so for all those that are touched by this horrible act, that includes the terrorist. Believe it or not, they need prayer for a change of heart. It is possible! Also pray for wisdom for our nation's leaders.

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
    My father is a stock broker in Fargo, ND. He works for Morgan Stanley Dean Witter. MSDW leased 50 floors of the World Trade Center. Essentially MSDW exists only on paper now, so he may be out of a job.
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast