Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    That's one hell of a way to start a morning. It's time to see what Bush is made of. My condolences to the families of those who died in the plane crashes.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  2.    #2  
    This is a very touchy situation. We have to retaliate aggressively enough to make terrorists think twice (and take care of those responsible), but not aggressively enough to **** off Russia or China. Very dicey.
    -Joshua
    A Palestinian group claimed responsibility, it said on the news channel I have on.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    I'd have to say that what China and Russia have to say about the situation is not relevant. This is a matter of U.S. national security. This is actually a WAR! The U.S. has been attacked on its own soil.

The problem with retaliation in this instance is that it cannot be instant. There is no conclusive evidence a this point as to who is really responsible for this attack. That is one of the biggest problems with handling terrorism. If there could be an instant retaliation, terrorism might be more scarce.

Really, I don't see how a retaliation would affect China and Russia. They are really only bothered by the U.S. messing with people they have commerce with (like Iraq).

That's my .02, any comments are welcome.

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
  5. jke
    How can you deal with a group of people who are so bent that human lives mean nothing? that have the money to buy the most dangerous weapons? How do you strike back at a group who only get stronger when we do strike? But I agree we must act fast, hard and not just rattle our sabers. Any and all countries that harbor the filth that caused this need to feel the pain. Give them up and hang them.
  6.    #6  
    America is going to have their justice, regardless of the consequences. But China and Russia are relevant, as they're the only ones who can escalate this into something no one can contain. I hope for humanities sake that they stay out of it.

I just heard on the news that the main goal of the terrorists is fear. They don't know America very well. We're not afraid. We're pissed. We will be a country of rabid wolves scenting for culpability, and God help those who stand in our way.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    I just heard on the news that the main goal of the terrorists is fear.
    Such has always been. Terror is in their name even.
    They don't know America very well.
    Hmph...they knew us well enough to coordinate an attack between two major US cities at points which would cause maximum damage.
    We're not afraid. We're pissed.
    Actually, that's a problem as well. We're irrationally pissed from my observations.
    We will be a country of rabid wolves scenting for culpability, and God help those who stand in our way.
    Bad metaphor. Rabid wolves don't scent for anything. They attack indiscriminately.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    People, can we not quibble and spend a little time thinking about those people in NY & DC, as well as their families (I have some in DC), and recognize that regardless of the consequences the gov't will do what they want, they always have.
    Let us please all remember that not all Arabs are "terrorists." I have been startled at the indiscrimanent and vehement reaction against "Arabs" and "Palestinians" as a group. Please remember that those who perpetrated this tragedy were madmen, to whom the lives of their victims and their own lives meant nothing.

Let us remember that madmen can never represent a group as a whole. In my own city many Palestinian business owners did not open today for fear of irrational retaliations against them. In fact quite a few non-Palestinian Arabic businesses did not open as well.

I pray for the families of the victims of the horrible events of this morning. I also pray for the innocent Palestinians involuntarily caught up in this event as well.

I pray that wisdom, discernment, and understanding will prevail in this day of hatred, panic, and chaos.

-Trotsky
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    People, can we not quibble and spend a little time thinking about those people in NY & DC, as well as their families (I have some in DC), and recognize that regardless of the consequences the gov't will do what they want, they always have.
    I'm not 'quibbling'. I'm just pointing out that irrationality is not the answer. We must plan at least as well as the bastards that did this if we are to truly bring justice to the situation.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I'm sure that our crafty gov't has a plan in effect, I was talking to a guy today who mentioned that we couldn't find these people. I have heard of satellites that take pictures at an incredible zoom level, they may not know who did it, but we know where they are.
    Originally posted by Trotsky
    Let us please all remember that not all Arabs are "terrorists." I have been startled at the indiscrimanent and vehement reaction against "Arabs" and "Palestinians" as a group. Please remember that those who perpetrated this tragedy were madmen, to whom the lives of their victims and their own lives meant nothing.

Let us remember that madmen can never represent a group as a whole. In my own city many Palestinian business owners did not open today for fear of irrational retaliations against them. In fact quite a few non-Palestinian Arabic businesses did not open as well.

I pray for the families of the victims of the horrible events of this morning. I also pray for the innocent Palestinians involuntarily caught up in this event as well.

I pray that wisdom, discernment, and understanding will prevail in this day of hatred, panic, and chaos.
    All good points. The media is treating this as Pearl Harbor. The difference is that Pearl Harbor was perpetrated by a _nation_. There is no nation which directly perpetrated this act. Even Osama bin Laden does not have a nation per se. He survives off of the charity of others (although with his resources, it's not likely charity, but rather commerce).
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    I'm sure that our crafty gov't has a plan in effect, I was talking to a guy today who mentioned that we couldn't find these people. I have heard of satellites that take pictures at an incredible zoom level, they may not know who did it, but we know where they are.
    Do we? You don't think that someone with the resources to pull this off might not know exactly when those satellites fly over and make themselves accordingly scarce? We've tried to bomb Khaddafi before and missed, after all.
    this is true, but did we fire a warning shot?
  15. jke
    This attack has happened on a island and America was caught off gaurd so, I think it not much of a stretch to compare it to Pearl Harbor. And yes we don"t have a nation per say to blame- we do have a group of people that are known to support and finance this kind of activity. Lets use this wake up call to send a massage to those cowards that we will not stand for this. I hope the out come is the same as Pearl Harbor with out the blood shed.
    Anyone who has two linked neurons would know that all you see in the media is the failed US anti-terrorist missions. The successful ones never make it public consciousness. Do your homework on
    anti-terrorist policy, bombs are for public consumption so people feel like something is being done. And as for satelites - you have seen way too many movies if you think that the US doesn't constantly shift the orbital patterns of all their recon birds to maximize coverage.
    The main course of action now is to pick up the pieces and rebuild. As for who the guilty may be, that will become clear in time. When we have a broader picture of how this attack was crafted, and who it was crafted by...then its time to release the hounds. Payback is a *****. And these terrorists are going to learn that lesson soon enough.

To quote Sheakespeare: "We have heard the chimes at midnight"
    Russia is no longer a concern, Putin just sent out a Telefax denouncing the attacks and supporting a tough hard-line stance against the cowards.
    Originally posted by visoronfire
    Anyone who has two linked neurons would know that all you see in the media is the failed US anti-terrorist missions. The successful ones never make it public consciousness. Do your homework on
    anti-terrorist policy, bombs are for public consumption so people feel like something is being done. And as for satelites - you have seen way too many movies if you think that the US doesn't constantly shift the orbital patterns of all their recon birds to maximize coverage.
    And if you believe that those satellites coverage is total, then you must have less than two linked neurons yourself. If their coverage was total, shouldn't we have pictures of the terrorists caught in the act?
    I hope the out come is the same as Pearl Harbor with out the blood shed.
    Huh? You hope we go to war, but not actually kill anyone? Why?

This is a horrific tragedy, but we have no idea who's behind this. I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions.

WHOEVER is behind this, it is most likely a small band of people. Hardly a full-scale war. Yes, it is important we find who did this. More importantly is to find out WHY they did this.

I'm more curious as to how these flights were hijacked. Clearly, plane hijacking is a favorite pastime of terrorists. I think a first step would be to figure ways to reduce the ability for people to hijack planes. I think we'll learn a LOT more once the black boxes are found (if found).

I also understand the the WTC were built with the exterior framwork of the building being the load bearing structure. I'm sure we're going to have to re-evaluate how we build high rises and how we provide a means of escape and/or fire prevention systems for floors on the top levels.

Actually, the best coverage of this event seems to be coming from the BBC. They seem to have a much more objective and inquisitive news broadcast than the US stations.

BTW, has there been any link to the Pensylvania crash yet?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast