Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by Toby
    Hmph...they knew us well enough to coordinate an attack between two major US cities at points which would cause maximum damage.
    But they don't know our temperment.
    Actually, that's a problem as well. We're irrationally pissed from my observations.
    I wouldn't say we're irrationally pissed. We have a damn good reason to be pissed. Our actions need to be well thought out and backed by evidence, but make no mistake - they will be emotionally inspired.
    Bad metaphor. Rabid wolves don't scent for anything. They attack indiscriminately.
    Good point.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    But they don't know our temperment.
    *shrug* I'm not so sure we have a specific temperament anymore.
    I wouldn't say we're irrationally pissed. We have a damn good reason to be pissed.
    I suppose that wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean that we were pissed without rational reason, but rather that many comments I hear from the average Joe on the street are pissed in an irrational manner. Now is not the time to go off half-cocked.
    Our actions need to be well thought out and backed by evidence, but make no mistake - they will be emotionally inspired.
    That's all well and good, as long as there is evidence to support it. Considering that bin Laden or whoever is probably holed up in another country, we need to be sure before launching some sort of retaliation. OTOH, the friend of my enemy may also become my enemy.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by homer

BTW, has there been any link to the Pensylvania crash yet?

on the radio, on the way home, they mentioned that a passenger made a frantic 911 call from the washroom of the plane explaining that the plane was hijacked... after that there hasn't been any news as to why the plane went down when it did.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Originally posted by homer
    I also understand the the WTC were built with the exterior framwork of the building being the load bearing structure. I'm sure we're going to have to re-evaluate how we build high rises and how we provide a means of escape and/or fire prevention systems for floors on the top levels.
    Did you ever think this could ever possibly happen? Do you think that the thing on an architect's mind is, "Now, what if a hijacked airplane crashed into this building? But to protect against it $$$."

And also, the Empire State Building once withstood a B-57 crashing into it.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    I am sick of it.

I am sick of the violence. In the last couple of weeks ending with (I hope) today we have seen an incredible escalation of violence. The Israeli/Palestinian problem, the Irish problem, the multiple murder/suicides in California and now today.

AND I am sick of dampeoples' animated logo.

John
    So sue me pal
    Last edited by dampeoples; 09/11/2001 at 05:17 PM.
    oops! here it is again.
    "AND I am sick of dampeoples' animated logo."

Had enough of my violent logo, or should I post again and again? Keep your opinions on my logo to yourself.
    We had dinner in the Windows on the World Restaurant, in the North Tower of the Worled Trade Center, in June.

We live less than 2 miles from Camp David, a possible target of one of the planes, so we have heard.

Prayers of thanks.

And prayers for those who were there today.

Linda
    Life is not a dress rehearsal!
    dp, don't be a jerk, and please watch your language.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    "dp, don't be a jerk, and please watch your language."

FOr the language, I apologize, as for the being a jerk, i apologize half-heartedly. A more acceptable comment would have been : hey, dp, how's about changing your avatar in light of the recent acts of violence today, or hey man, is this really appropriate. Calling me out was not, in my opinion a diplomatic way to approach this.
    Sterling
    Sterling,

I apologize. I am caught up in the moment. I should have been more diplomatic. Sorry.

John
    In light of the situation, I am trying to disable the Avatar, having problems getting in...
    The difference is that Pearl Harbor was perpetrated by a _nation_. There is no nation which directly perpetrated this act.
    Do we know that???
    There we go, now on with the topic at hand, not personal aggression.
  16.    #36  
    *shrug* I'm not so sure we have a specific temperament anymore.
    Specific - no. A general temperment - more likely. I'd be willing to bet that most Americans are more angry than afraid. There also appears a temperment of compassion at times like this.
    I suppose that wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean that we were pissed without rational reason, but rather that many comments I hear from the average Joe on the street are pissed in an irrational manner. Now is not the time to go off half-cocked.
    I think we're fully cocked. As soon as we aim, it's all over. I pray that it's done justly and with evidence, as do you. I also wish people could calm down and rationally; methodically hunt down those responsible. Then we can stick some radioactive Plutonium up their @$$ and put them in a room of mirrors so they can watch themselves melt. I doubt American's capacity for patience, however, and fear that there will be a lot of innocent people that will pay.
    That's all well and good, as long as there is evidence to support it. Considering that bin Laden or whoever is probably holed up in another country, we need to be sure before launching some sort of retaliation. OTOH, the friend of my enemy may also become my enemy.
    Hence my comments at the beginning regarding Russia and China.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Did you ever think this could ever possibly happen? Do you think that the thing on an architect's mind is, "Now, what if a hijacked airplane crashed into this building? But to protect against it $$$."
    Of course not. That's my point. Because of this event, this will be an issue with every highrise we build.

And also, the Empire State Building once withstood a B-57 crashing into it.
    Right. but the Empire State Building is built much differently. Apparently, according to the BBC, the WTC was actually prone to this type of attack do to the way it was constructed.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I heard on the TV today that the WTC was actually designed to withstand a crash with a 707 when it was built in the early 70s. Unfortunately, planes have gotten much bigger, and both of the jets involved likely had pretty full fuel tanks. Whomever is behind this, they aren't dumb. Evil, but not dumb.
    I think no one, even the terrorist, envisioned a total loss of both buildings.
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
    Who can say what people like this 'envision'? My assumption has been that they hoped for the total, nearly instantaneous loss of both buildings.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast