Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Probably...I'm more fascinated with the political process, and the interesting, somewhat silly dynamics, than I am an advocate of a particular party. The gravity of the problems with the Republican party, and their tendency to generate hate against anyone who doesn't think exactly like them, makes them an easier target, though. Case in point:

That's a perfect example of why I think the political process is fun. People can post that sort of silliness about someone from the opposite party, while ignoring any negative actions by their own. So people can call Pelosi and "liar and a fraud", while defending folks like Cheney, without recognizing the inherent hypocricy.

It's like being a Red Sox or Yankees fan - you trash the other side simply because they're on the other side.
    More of the same.... she's not so bad cause look at Cheney. What about just looking at Pelosi and her actions and deciding about.... Pelosi? Why must you continue to "compare"? Isn't Pelosi big enough to bear responsibility for her actions?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    More of the same.... she's not so bad cause look at Cheney. What about just looking at Pelosi and her actions and deciding about.... Pelosi? Why must you continue to "compare"? Isn't Pelosi big enough to bear responsibility for her actions?
    I didn't defend Pelosi. I bring up Cheney because you judge her very differently than him, based upon nothing but the fact that she's on "the other side". In other words, the judgments are inconsistent and point to a basic hypocrisy that both parties take part in.

So... when will the left quit reaching back and holding up Bush as an example? Why do you continue to feel that this is the only way to cast good light on Obama? If he's so great, shouldn't his actions speak loudly on their own - without the need for comparison?
    See above answer.
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/08/2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    To quote the infamous Bill Lumbergh, "Ummm yeeeah. I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there." The reason we call them RhINOs is that they don't adhere to, practice, core conservative principals; smaller government, reduced/conservative spending, strong well provided for military, reduced regulation, etc. It's people like you who like to sling around the "extreme right-winger" handle that discourage intelligent discourse.
    Actually, many of those on my list adhere exactly to those principles. And I have already stated that, if this were the focused message of the Republican Party, they'd be much healthier and be able to attract many more people to the party. The reason that the moderates in the party (myself included) is that they don't adhere to the socially conservative side of the party: anti-gay marriage, pro-life, etc.

You've taken "extreme right winger" as an insult. However, the reality is that if you eliminate every moderates in the party, then all you're left with are those on the extreme right. Rush Limbaugh has come out very transparently and said that there's no such thing as moderate Republicans...."a moderate is just a liberal disguise". With that as a strategy, the Republicans can't possibly gather enough popular support to be a viable national party.

You can continue to make it about me, because the attack posture is very much the norm for anyone who disagrees with someone's political ideology. However, I'm simply pointing out the political reality: you need to have "50% +1" votes to win elections, and excluding large segments of their own party won't get the Republicans there.

Try to step back from attack mode and realize I'm simply making an observation about political strategy, and maybe you shouldn't take it so personally.
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/08/2009 at 11:44 AM.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I didn't defend Pelosi. I bring up Cheney because you judge her very differently than him, based upon nothing but the fact that she's on "the other side". In other words, the judgments are inconsistent and point to a basic hypocrisy that both parties take part in.

See above answer.
    Bujin, with all due respect, I didn't bring up Cheney, you did. We were discussing Pelosi, and you keep bringing him up. He's a different discussion, and Pelosi should be judged without comparison, or shading, etc.

You don't seem to be able to separate the two. Cheney's not in power, btw. Pelosi is "next in line".
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  5.    #45  
    To quote the infamous Bill Lumbergh, "Ummm yeeeah. I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there." The reason we call them RhINOs is that they don't adhere to, practice, core conservative principals; smaller government, reduced/conservative spending, strong well provided for military, reduced regulation, etc....
    How do things like reduced regulations help you as a working class person?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Bujin, with all due respect, I didn't bring up Cheney, you did. We were discussing Pelosi, and you keep bringing him up. He's a different discussion, and Pelosi should be judged without comparison, or shading, etc.

You don't seem to be able to separate the two. Cheney's not in power, btw. Pelosi is "next in line".
    Actually, the thread had nothing to do with Pelosi, until someone decided to just throw in an irrelevant attack. I had already made the point about the double standard between Obama's "date night" and the actions of prior presidents. I then used Pelosi and Cheney as an illustration of the same double standard of argument.

It's easy to say that one should be judged without comparison, and I agree with that. But not when the standard is only applied to those who are on the opposing side of the aisle. It simply makes my point about hypocrisy.

If you look back, I've stated that I have no issues with Bush having access to government transportation, just as I have no issue with Obama's "date night". You'll also note that I have not defended Pelosi, as I have no real opinion about her. For me, it's all about consistent expectations from both sides.
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/08/2009 at 12:37 PM.

Obama? If he's so great, shouldn't his actions speak loudly on their own - without the need for comparison?
    They do.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    They do.
    Then they shouldn't need to bring up Bush/Cheney constantly, to try and make him look good through comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    They do.
    You're right.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    How do things like reduced regulations help you as a working class person?
    Less hindered capitalism creates wealth which leads to spending for new products and services, which increases demand. New jobs follow.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Jeez louise but you guys need to take a step back and look at yourselves. This Obama love fest is quite sickening. You'd think he was the second coming of Christ.
    Less hindered capitalism creates wealth which leads to spending for new products and services, which increases demand. New jobs follow.
    How'd that work for the deregulated Wall Street?

Jeez louise but you guys need to take a step back and look at yourselves. This Obama love fest is quite sickening. You'd think he was the second coming of Christ.
    Not at all....just the first coming of a capable, intelligent President in about 8 years or so.
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/10/2009 at 12:48 PM.

Then they shouldn't need to bring up Bush/Cheney constantly, to try and make him look good through comparison.
    There's a reason to look back: those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Unless the Republican Party makes a shift toward a more moderate stance quickly, people won't take them seriously, because they don't want a repeat of the last 8 years. But the official direction of the party seems to be to argue pro-torture, anti-human rights, anti-diplomacy, anti-inclusion, anti-science, pro-religious extremism. So looking back is a reminder of how far we've come, which is why the country has the highest rates of people stating that their country is headed in the right direction in years. The simple reality is that most Americans think Obama's doing a good job.

I'm not sure it calls for all the bitterness - the American electoral process made the change the people asked for. Isn't that part of what makes America great?
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/10/2009 at 12:51 PM.

14.    #54  
    So that's how it helps you as a working class person? It all trickles down?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Because many of us are old enough to remember how trickle down economics helped the working class, and lowered the deficit, last time.

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    More jobs are good for working class people. A good job is much better than a feel good government hand-out.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Because many of us are old enough to remember how trickle down economics helped the working class, and lowered the deficit, last time.
    The deficit has nothing to do with trickle down economics. That has to do with government overspending. Why must you continue crossing the streams?
    Nah... I don't believe in a second coming of Christ, and thus, cannot transfer that belief on to the current President of the US. I just think that, so far, he's doing a much better job than his predecessor.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    You know, the deficit comment really struck me. The current budget deficit is 1.84 trillion. This President has done more spending in these first few months than all other presidents in history, COMBINED.
    You know, the deficit comment really struck me. The current budget deficit is 1.84 trillion. This President has done more spending in these first few months than all other presidents in history, COMBINED.
    Of course he has. He's trying to revive the economy destroyed by his predecessor and that takes money... LOL
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast