1.    #1  
    I just bought an Audrey from www.tigerdirect.com for under $100 including shipping. Has anyone here used on with their Visor? I could use any tips or hazards people could lend me.

Thanks

---S---
    I do not have any experience with the Audrey, but with what I understand about the device it should work fine, provided you pick up a serial HotSync cradle for your Visor.
    I use my Visor Platinum & Edge with Audrey DAILY. NEVER had any problems with it. We think Audrey is the greatest Internet Appliance in the world. BTW...it uses EITHER USB OR SERIAL, not just serial.

Our Audrey is on our home ethernet network, and surfs the web faster than my Gateway Astro. IT rocks. TOO bad they killed it.
    dorelse:

I thought the Audrey's only worked with a dial-up phone line. Can I just plug an ethernet cord in? Do you set it up like any other computer by giving in an IP address? How is the browser in it?

If so, I might go ahead an grab one if it's only $90!
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to using it.

Originally posted by dorelse
    I use my Visor Platinum & Edge with Audrey DAILY. NEVER had any problems with it. We think Audrey is the greatest Internet Appliance in the world. BTW...it uses EITHER USB OR SERIAL, not just serial.

Our Audrey is on our home ethernet network, and surfs the web faster than my Gateway Astro. IT rocks. TOO bad they killed it.

---S---
    Originally posted by homer
    dorelse:

I thought the Audrey's only worked with a dial-up phone line. Can I just plug an ethernet cord in? Do you set it up like any other computer by giving in an IP address? How is the browser in it?

If so, I might go ahead an grab one if it's only $90!
    EXCELLENT. I'd like to hear too whether/how the Audrey can be used on a network. Can it be hacked to serve as a secondary Internet browsing system for say a DSL or cable Internet connection into a normal CPU?
    Pocket PCs, Palm... next victim, MS Windows!
    I forgot... I meant to ask if you could check your Yahoo! Mail account through an Audrey unit.

I believe that I had read at some point that you were limited as to the size of your incoming emails (say if someone sent you a photo of their new baby).

Is this true? And can you use Yahoo! or Hotmail online web based email accounts okay?

Thanks!
    Pocket PCs, Palm... next victim, MS Windows!
    I have some of the same questions. Right now we have one newish (1ghz) machine hooked up to our cable modem. I'm toying with putting in a home network so I don't have to fight over the high-speed connection with my wife, and it would be nice to put an appliance in the kitchen for her to use. Is that doable?
    This should answer the networking question...

TigerDirect carries an Audrey certified 3Com USB Ethernet Adapter for $29.99.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    This should answer the networking question...
    Wow!

Here is a question on the Audrey/networking issue that is a bit offbeat. My wife spends a lot of time in our bedroom for medical reasons, and would like to have high-speed access to the internet from there, but does not need the full-blown power of a PC. We have a shared high-speed (768kb) DSL connection to the internet that serves the rest of the home computer network. Would it be possible to use this USB connector/adaptor in conjunction with some kind of wireless arrangement so she can use the internet connection from the bedroom (running CAT-5 cable to the bedroom is not really an option because of the way our house was built)?
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
    Originally posted by dorelse

What has happened to the channel selections now that 3com is no longer supporting Audrey. I had one, but returned it for full credit when they pulled the plug. I was using it with the ethernet adapter to a cable modem, but the browser was still kind of slow. Also, the GUI wasn't the best, as far as I was concerned (a MAC user). I may buy one at this price.
    Originally posted by mcristia
    Would it be possible to use this USB connector/adaptor in conjunction with some kind of wireless arrangement...
    I don't think so. The adaptor is the NIC (you plug the CAT-5 cable directly into it). The wireless NIC's that I've seen are either standard PCI cards for desktops or PCCards for laptops. I guess what would work here would be a wireless NIC with a USB connection and I've never seen one of those.

When you say running cable isn't an option, why? Is there basement below or attic above? If so, running a length of cable into the closet or even a corner of the room shouldn't be too difficult. For a while, my wife used her laptop out on the deck by running 50' of CAT-5 down the hall, through the kitchen, and out the back door. Of course, everyone else tripped over it whenever she was outside!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    How does one configure the Audrey to connect to the LAN? We have static IPs internally behind a firewall, so I need to manually configure each computer with it's own unique IP address. Is that easy to do on the Audrey?

For $120 or so, this might be a nice web-browser in the living room. What's the resolution on these?
    -David Byrne
    Ok, here's my configuration:

I have a Cable Modem in the basement, and right next to it is my 3COM Home Ethernet Gateway. I have a Gateway Astro, Compaq Win98 pc, and Audrey is up in our Kitchen.

I have the 3Com Audrey USB/Ethernet adapter and they all run into the Home Ethernet Gateway. The 3COM gateway software that came with the Home Ethernet Gateway, manages all the IP's etc. You configure the gateway using the software to what the cable companies says is your IP address, etc, and set all the PC's & Audrey to use DHCP. The gateway takes care of all the rest.

I really would suggest using the 3COM home ethernet gateway, b/c mine was specifically tested and designed to work with Audrey. Audrey is even mentioned by name in the list of supported devices...any other brand and I think you're at the gateway's mercy.

We love Audrey, and for $100.00, I'll probably get another as a backup, in case this one breaks for some reason.
    check this out....wireless connection...

http://www.audreyfan.org/photos.html

should help you get started, mcristia....Good Luck!

I just bought one on Thursday night after seeing the low price. since then i've found some great sites on the audrey and things that are being done to hack it.

a good place to start is:

http://www.audreyhacking.com/index.php

and a good 'beginner' site that should help many (like this board did when we all got our first visor ) is:

http://www.delphi.com/audreyapps/start

i really liked the idea of this thing but the $500 price tag was unbelievable...now for $89....its mine!
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    and set all the PC's & Audrey to use DHCP.
    Crap. We don't run DHCP as we have a few web servers running, so we have all the internal IPs mapped via the router.

Does anyone know if the Audry, itself, can be configured or does it simply automatically look for a DHCP server as its way of conecting?

I wonder if 3COM is monitoring how fast the Audrey's are going at the $89 price point? Methinks that this product would have had a better chance of succeeding had it not been $500...
    -David Byrne
    Yes, you can configure your own IP's into Audrey...totally configurable. I'm thinking that for $89.00, I might get a second one!

-D