Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    .... if that's the case, how come I can still remember the original Star Trek TV series episodes?

All joking aside... I thought it was a great movie, and well done.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    .... if that's the case, how come I can still remember the original Star Trek TV series episodes?

All joking aside... I thought it was a great movie, and well done.
    Because you stowed away on Spock's ship when he wormholed back, silly! Forget already?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    "Time travel. Since my first day as a starship captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes. The future is the past, the past is the future - it all gives me a headache."

Name that captain!
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    "Time travel. Since my first day as a starship captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes. The future is the past, the past is the future - it all gives me a headache."

Name that captain!
    Janeway! Too easy!! (Yes, I'm a geek... Computer geek by trade...)

And, yes, I LOVED the new movie. I saw it once at a 'normal' theater and once at an IMAX and once at my home. *whistles innocently*
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I did not like it. Characters were great except for Scotty. To me the story line was off as they tried to do too much too fast. Hated the Mining ship it reminded me of Star Wars.
    Why do these ships have so much OPEN space with walk paths and no rails?
    Why send three people including the captain to save anything. Of course you would normally send a platoon of your delta Marine team.
    Spock with a women, this should only happen every ten years or so.

So what is my pick for an accurate Space movie…… Aliens 2 & Preditor 1 Greatness
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711 View Post
    I did not like it. Characters were great except for Scotty. To me the story line was off as they tried to do too much too fast. Hated the Mining ship ti reminded me of Star Wars. Why do these ships have so much OPEN space with walk paths and no rails? Why send three people including the captain to sve anything . Of course you would normally send a platoon of your delta Marine team. Spock with a women, this should only happen every ten years or so. So what is my pick for an accurate Space movie…… Aliens 2
    To each his own... And 'pon far' is every seven years, but that is only mating, not companionship, assuming any of this was REAL and mattered... LOL
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    u r right. so what is your favorite scifi move?
    Overall I liked the movie....Pike was well cast! I think they should have left Spock as in TOS...just younger....The beginning and end musical score should have been a close variant of the original....this was a weakness imho
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Talking with friends it was clearly pointed out to me that you must understand that this is a different reality due to the time line change. Thus relationships and personalities would be slightly different from the original. The entire idea makes my head hurt.
    Yes..I understand your point...it's just that I remember all the way back to the pilot episode The Cage...and have seen every episode of each series....so I have to try to reconcile that universe with altered time lines...and yes it produces headaches! LOL
    u r right. so what is your favorite scifi move?
    I don't think I can rightly answer that... I love so many movies, many of which are sci-fi. I will say that I think this is my favorite Trek movie, though...

Talking with friends it was clearly pointed out to me that you must understand that this is a different reality due to the time line change. Thus relationships and personalities would be slightly different from the original.
    Yeah, that's the idea. That's how they get around a lot of the canon so that they can have some fresh new story lines.

I think they kept it true enough to the original to make the old schoolers (like me) happy but gave it enough newness to bring in the younger groups and allow for more stories without all the mess that 40 years of canon can cause when trying to right a creative story.

My nine year old daughter LOVED it, too. Walking out of the theater she turns to me and says, "Daddy, I LOVED that movie! I can't wait for them to make another one!" LOL
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

We heard a lot of people saying what your daughter said.....and we feel that way as well! We also like what we see online in the ST Phase II
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Funny, my son said ”So dad later the captain looses all his hair when he gets older“
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrog View Post
    We heard a lot of people saying what your daughter said.....and we feel that way as well! We also like what we see online in the ST Phase II
    I watched some of the really early stuff from them but I haven't kept up with it. I may have to revisit it.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by drfrog View Post
    Yes..I understand your point...it's just that I remember all the way back to the pilot episode The Cage...and have seen every episode of each series....so I have to try to reconcile that universe with altered time lines...and yes it produces headaches! LOL
    You realize that the Cage episode wont happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    You realize that the Cage episode wont happen?
    Timeline-wise, it actually didn't happen. The Cage was set before Kirk assumed command, and by the time the movie ended Kirk was already supposed to be in command ("You are not the Captain?"), and so the events of The Cage would have already taken place if they were going to happen. Since the Enterprise wasn't launched until later and Pike ended up getting bumped to desk jockey Admiral before he got a chance to visit Talos IV with the ship and fall in love with the mutated girl and all that jazz.

Of course, Star Trek: Enterprise is still there, so we can take comfort that at least ~75 hours of Star Trek survived the film intact.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Of course, Star Trek: Enterprise is still there, so we can take comfort that at least ~75 hours of Star Trek survived the film intact.
    Hah! Did you catch the reference to Archer in the new movie?
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Hah! Did you catch the reference to Archer in the new movie?
    Yup, the writers worked in references of some variety from every series. There was even a tribble in there...
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Yup, the writers worked in references of some variety from every series. There was even a tribble in there...
    I know. I thought it was great. There's a comic book series / graphic novel that bridges the current time line (post TNG era) to the new movie as well. It was a nice read.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Wht I didnt hear was any reference to Robert April....the very very first pre-Pike, pre-Kirk captain of the Enterprise when it was first commissioned Constitution class starship.......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast