Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 221
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    For the record, I totally agree. If they had left out all of that "endowed by the Creator" language, it would have made the issue much cleaner. As it stands, that very tenuous argument (the "God is mentioned, therefore it's a Christian nation" approach) is used as an excuse to try to push religious doctrine into our laws.
    They did leave it out. You're quoting the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I understand your point and perspective, but living in a country that discriminates against people for any reason affects everyone.
    We are drifting off topic again

    Some states are allowing gay marriage and some aren't. The recent events in California where the ban was upheld by the courts, tells me it's going to be a touchy issue with people for a long time.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by balboadave View Post
    They did leave it out. You're quoting the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution.
    I was speaking more generically about the references to God and the Creator, etc. in our founding documents - and our money.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Am I reading this wrong? Or do we all agree that Gay Marriage is a civil right's issue and not a religious one, and the state should not be drawing distinctions between different groups, e.g., equal treatment under the law?
    I do not agree per se. The inherent flaw in the civil rights argument is that government recognizes marriage as an institution of love or something along those lines. There are two primary reasons for the government recognizing marriage: simplifying property rights and inheritance. IOW, it's to reduce government burden. While I think that government should not prohibit consenting adults from willingly entering into whatever sorts of contracts they deem mutually beneficial, I don't think it follows that government should endorse said contracts without some sort of reason.

    <<Quote Removed by Berd - Not an appropriate analogy>>

    No, the list of appeals to emotion is not short at all. However, the length of the list does not a valid argument make.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/27/2009 at 11:58 AM.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I was speaking more generically about the references to God and the Creator, etc. in our founding documents - and our money.
    It's only on the money to differentiate us from those Godless Commies. In McCarthyism we trust.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    It's only on the money to differentiate us from those Godless Commies. In McCarthyism we trust.
    I thought all those words and symbols on the money were part of a secret Freemason plot. Or the Illuminati. Or the Rotary Club.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  7. #27  
    When religion and government are mixed together, both are diminished.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I thought all those words and symbols on the money were part of a secret Freemason plot. Or the Illuminati. Or the Rotary Club.
    I'm not talking conspiracy theories. I'm talking about the reason In God We Trust was added to the paper currency (and under God was added to the pledge). Those were both done in the 1950s.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I'm not talking conspiracy theories. I'm talking about the reason In God We Trust was added to the paper currency (and under God was added to the pledge). Those were both done in the 1950s.
    I know... I was just being silly.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  10. #30  
    Sorry Guys,

    Certain Topics have a tendency to bend an emotional response.

    It may seem to be a shame that certain topics need to be censored.
    I can assure you, decisions aren't based on Staff and their Feelings/Opinions/Political Stand.

    All decisions are made based on trying to stay within the Forum Guidelines.
    Just call me Berd.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I believe it to be a states' right issue and up to the people of the individual state to make the decision. When you push the gay agenda, an exception is being made for a specific group of people and that is just not equal treatment under the law.
    Not true. Would you also argue that guaranteeing African American rights or women's rights an 'exception being made for a specific group'? Where is your logic??

    ALL civil rights should be applied to all groups equally but, unfortunately, that's not always how it works. Gays have been left out. The right for gays to marry is not an exception, Ben. It is an inclusion.

    Wow...
    Last edited by gksmithlcw; 05/27/2009 at 01:47 PM.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    The problem is, many of those in power in our government DO consider this a Christian nation, that the state religion is defacto Christianity, and legislate accordingly.
    Yes, and that is a PROBLEM. A problem with which we've been dealing for awhile now...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I thought all those words and symbols on the money were part of a secret Freemason plot. Or the Illuminati. Or the Rotary Club.
    Definitely the Rotary Club!!
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Sorry Guys,

    Certain Topics have a tendency to bend an emotional response.

    It may seem to be a shame that certain topics need to be censored.
    I can assure you, decisions aren't based on Staff and their Feelings/Opinions/Political Stand.

    All decisions are made based on trying to stay within the Forum Guidelines.
    No need to say sorry, It's your board, your money and your rules. I am surprised that political discussion is even allowed. It's not allowed on most boards. You guys do an outstanding job moderating this very active forum. It's a great place to come for Palm information.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  15. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #35  
    Lies! All lies!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    ALL civil rights should be applied to all groups equally but, unfortunately, that's not always how it works.
    Two questions... Where is marriage defined as a civil right (especially the government's endorsement thereof)? Second, what are your opinions on unisex public restrooms?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  17. g.711's Avatar
    Posts
    550 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    #37  
    Well Iíll add my 2 cents to the board since none have stated the obvious (To a believer). YES the USA is founded, established and created by Christianity and the willingness to worship in your own way. This does no t mean that you are required to be a Christian or even believe in a higher power. However our values are based in Christian belief and laws.
    To expand this more the majority of the world is based on the same concept.
    To further that belief believers believe that this is ordained by God who destine the world and all things within it before he even created the world.
    Why this is even and issue?
    What problems have you had with Christian moral guide?
    The answer is the California ruling where a free population has voted to uphold a term used by Christians and hence America to reflect the union of a man and women into one entity.
    So the real question is what s wrong with Civil Unions? Same thing different name offend none.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Two questions... Where is marriage defined as a civil right (especially the government's endorsement thereof)?
    I do not know that it is. Regardless, it is discrimination based on sexual preference to disallow gay marriage and, thus, would seem to fall under the category of civil rights in my book.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Second, what are your opinions on unisex public restrooms?
    I'm not sure what this has to do with anything and I'm not even sure what 'unisex' is supposed to mean. 1-sex? Isn't that what we already have? I'm fine with that.... Do you mean, on the other hand, one restroom for everyone? I'm fine with that, too, I suppose. It doesn't really matter in my opinion.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711 View Post
    YES the USA is founded, established and created by Christianity and the willingness to worship in your own way. However our values are based in Christian belief and laws.
    Ignoring the Treaty of Tripoli and the writings of enlightenment thinkers for a moment, if our government were based on "Christian belief and laws" why does our Constitution (and laws that follow) allow for breaking of seven and possibly eight of the ten commandments? Only murder, stealing, and perjury are disallowed out of the list of commandments, and laws against them predate JudeoChristianity.
  20. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #40  
    If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions