Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Holiday's In The States

Let's go way back to start off. It use to be that everyone had Sunday off. The only stores you would find open were a few Dairy Stores and Gas Stations.

It use to be that everyone had the Holiday's off. Now it's like no Holidays are sacred anymore. Everybody works the Holiday, including Easter and Christmas.

I've called five different people this weekend and asked, hay do you want to... and they respond, sorry I am working.

Why do we even have Holiday's anymore?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

How else could you make the rich richer faster?
  3.    #3  
    Holidays should be spent with family and friends, and we are getting far away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Holidays should be spent with family and friends, and we are getting far away from that.
    Yes we are. I can understand gas stations, grocery stores & convenience stores being open part of a holiday. There's always something we've forgotten. But I don't think I need to go buy a speaker, a phone or a TV on Memorial Day.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    Yes we are. I can understand gas stations, grocery stores & convenience stores being open part of a holiday. There's always something we've forgotten. But I don't think I need to go buy a speaker, a phone or a TV on Memorial Day.

Nah, it is because the consumer expects it. When I was lots younger, one grocery store chain refused to open on Sundays and advertised as such. Years down the road, after the original owner died and other chains were open on Sunday, that chain also started opening Sundays. The consumers demanded it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    How else could you make the rich richer faster?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    ....The consumers demanded it.
    Come on, back that up! I see stores open on Easter and Christmas now, and I think that's a pity.

Come on, back that up! I see stores open on Easter and Christmas now, and I think that's a pity.
    It is a pity if you are Christian. Otherwise, it is convenient.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I named the two Christian holidays without thinking. I should have went back to my original statement about all national holidays and included memorial day, labor day, new years day, 4th of July...

I named the two Christian holidays without thinking. I should have went back to my original statement about all national holidays and included memorial day, labor day, new years day, 4th of July...
    Well, I personally don't mind places staying open on holidays. My ONLY qualm with it is that people who don't want to work get stuck doing it.

If there was a way to please everyone involved I'd be all for it but I do not think there is. For me, personally, though, I always volunteered to work those holidays if possible because it was good money that I needed to support my family.... Money I now miss dearly... LOL
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    It's called capitalism. I thought it was a good thing in the US? Of course this is coming from someone who had the day off today and spent it with family.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I am at work earning some nice holiday pay and nary a bit of work to do! I'm not complaining.
    personally I find I need the holidays......if a person wants or needs to work, it should be their choice.....I would not want to be forced to work a holiday....that would not be OK ImO
    I worked at a Bread Plant for a few years.

I hated the Holidays.

Long Long Hours making Hot dog and Hamburger buns so you guys could have your BBQ's
    Just call me Berd.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

I hated the Holidays.

Long Long Hours making Hot dog and Hamburger buns so you guys could have your BBQ's
    I will forever associate you with hot dog and hamburger buns now.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

I hated the Holidays.

"So, that's Bread-dinkerdickle?", he says, ducking quickly.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    It's called capitalism. I thought it was a good thing in the US? Of course this is coming from someone who had the day off today and spent it with family.
    Are you saying that capitalism is bad?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Oh my. How the western world has changed. Christianity used to be its foundation and now it is a pity if you are one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Oh my. How the western world has changed. Christianity used to be its foundation and now it is a pity if you are one.
    You pity Christians? I surely don't, although I disagree with a lot of their behavior as a group.

Regardless, that is not what this thread is about and it is not at all what I said or implied. I just pointed out that the discussion had focused on Christian holidays which do not mean something to everyone in this country which, in turn, would mean that not everyone would require the day off.

And last I checked, this country's foundation was religious freedom, not Christianity. The Christians and OTHERS that founded the nation did so to throw away the old governments, monarchies mostly, that made kings into gods and forced beliefs down peoples' throats under penalty of law... But, again, that is not what this thread is about.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    The United States of America Founded on Christianity is surely a worthy topic for another thread.

I could see myself enjoying that debate.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast