Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I m in the market for a new mattress and have been looking hard at the Tempurpedic mattress. This is the “Foam/sponge” type mattress. I talked to several people who know someone who says it great but I can’t find a person with first hand knowledge of sleeping on the thing for a couple of years. My questions:
    1 Does it really help your back?
    2 Does it loose its firmness after a couple of years?
    3 Do the sides maintain stiffness?
    4 Does the mattress breath or is it like sleeping on plastic?
    5 When if forms to your body do you feel like you’re sleeping in a
    hole overnight?
    We just got a 'Memory Foam' Mattress.
    We like it a lot.

We got it from a store here in the NW called 'Mattress World'
    They gave us 30 days to return if we didn't like it.

Never used a Tempur-pedic
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback Memory Foam is the newer type of mattress much like the Tempurpedic version. Both felt the same to me in the store.
    I just found some interesting information which may sway my choice. Apparently the Memory Foam mattress has a chemical smell for the first two weeks. The smell is due to the chemicals they use to make the bed. It contains TOLUENE DI ISOCYANATE 80/20 (T.D.I.). This is a carcinogen and causes asthma.

May be a deal killer for me...

The MemoryFoam is made of Latex which is natural But both are great choices to fend off allergies
    Last edited by g.711; 05/24/2009 at 02:53 AM.
    I'm real sensitive to chemicals.
    Certain Perfumes, deoderants, and soaps.
    Our mattress hasn't hasn't had any slightest odor from day one.
    well i have the pillow its pretty confortable
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711 View Post
    I m in the market for a new mattress and have been looking hard at the Tempurpedic mattress. This is the “Foam/sponge” type mattress. I talked to several people who know someone who says it great but I can’t find a person with first hand knowledge of sleeping on the thing for a couple of years. My questions:
    1 Does it really help your back?
    2 Does it loose its firmness after a couple of years?
    3 Do the sides maintain stiffness?
    4 Does the mattress breath or is it like sleeping on plastic?
    5 When if forms to your body do you feel like you’re sleeping in a
    hole overnight?
    Yes, I can help you.

I have the original classic mattress and have had it for 4 years. It has not entirely helped my bad back but it has gotten better since I sleep completely still and don't move about in the bed. It has cured me of my extreme movement at night (I kicked quite a lot and quite violently). It has stayed in proper form all these years and it still has the same feeling as when I got it. It is EXTREMELY comfortable to sleep on, and I mean really comfortable. It is a pleasure anytime I go to sleep on it. I do have some complaints about it though.

1) You WILL be hot in it and will probably sweat in the summer. It conforms to your body heat and I start to sweat especially if my room is not cool (MY preference is around 70 degrees). The plus side is that you won't need an electric blanket

2) It is impossible (for me at least) to stay awake when laying down in it. For instance, if I want to lay down and watch TV, I fall asleep pretty much right away (Which may or may not be a good thing).

I hope this helps you out! Good luck!

PS: The memory foam IMO is a fluke. I slept on a memory foam mattress once and it was 100% not even close to my bed. That may be my body's preference though.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.