Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    A new virus by the name of Conficker was recently discovered, said to be activated on April 1.
    A Google search will pretty much give you all the info on it.
    Here is a link to the bulletin on Microsofts site (from October '08, when they fixed the problem):
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-040: Vulnerability in Server Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution (921883)
    It doesn't seem to be a problem on Vista, but if you were smart, and are still on XP, make sure you download the update from the link on that page.
    If you can't open Microsoft's site, that's one of the effects of the virus...
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I think this was part of the April Fools' Day virus. Just update your antivirus programs and also check out for updates for your OS.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Anybody who keeps the PC updated as should always be done has nothing to worry about.

This should be in the off topic forum.
    Don't worry guys, That virus name is April fool virus....Don't believe that news.... so update your anti virus programs and also check out for updates for your OS.......... Funniest news.......
    No it's a real virus, but it was out before April 1. Somehow word got out that it would do something weird to computers it was hidden in on April 1.

But they may be still at it. I read somewhere(I think Gizmodo) that anyone who did get it, gets hassled for $50 to remove it, by the same people who created it.

MSFT supposedly patched the hole that allowed it in November and yes strong anti-virus often helps, but you never know.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    More info on the virus. Looks like they're indeed still at it. I don't get what they hope to gain by all this.

Conficker self-updates, launches false infection alert - Ars Technica
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    More info on the virus. Looks like they're indeed still at it. I don't get what they hope to gain by all this.

Conficker self-updates, launches false infection alert - Ars Technica
    They hope to gain a lot...

Sooner or later, MS is going to have to offer not only patches for this type of stuff, but also remote install, scan and removal.

One major step forward will be free OneCare... if pre-installed in Windows 7, I can see that being a big help. We will eventually need something...

Those script kiddies are growing up to be script monsters...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    No I mean what's the benefit to keep doing this? Extortion, as in that other case of them demanding $50 to remove it?