View Poll Results: what connection do you have?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 14kbs

1 2.70%
  • 28Kbs

1 2.70%
  • 36kbs

0 0%
  • 56kbs

8 21.62%
  • DSL

14 37.84%
  • cable

10 27.03%
  • T1 or T3

3 8.11%
  1.    #1  
    i love it do yuo have it?
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    I love my DSL.

When it works.

Unfortunately, Robert, at some point, Qwest will mess up and you will go out of your mind trying to deal with the giant, uncaring, incompetant monopoly that Qwest is.

Don't get me started!

Hopefully, someday, there will be real choices for high-speed internet access...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  3.    #3  
    yes, i agree. it took us a month to get our password and username to finally log on because for some reason they didnt send it when we recieved our modem. and the first couple weeks we called them and were on hold for over an hour when the est time was 23min until i hung up. but after many talks they finally sent us the name pass and activated our accound. the only thing now to do is terminate our mindspring acount.(over due $188, your acount will be terminated on 9/4)
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
  4.    #4  
    we have a packard bell computer and went for support at their website. and guess what? THEY HAD THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!! u just sign up(free) then you can chat with a support member personally. their really helpful. from 10am 6pm (i think) but just think, you just wait 30sec then someone from their staff talks to you instanly

only if every major companie had support like them
    How fast is your connection???
    who is at 14 and why?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Maybe wireless???
    Originally posted by Felipe
    who is at 14 and why?
    for that matter, why represent 14, 36 and 56 but not 28.8? who ever used 36?
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Cable all the way. Getting Broadband was one of the best investments I have ever made.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Bradhaak,

My speed varies but most of the time it's around 4.8Mbps.

All others listening that will use PacBell DSL, you might have some installation issues because their instructions direct or misdirect you to log onto the SBC.net location and that's incorrect.

Also, you'll get the hardware (modem) seperate from the software to run it - go figure. I had a modem for a week before I received the software to run it.

Now to be fair to PacBell they did this 6 months ago and perhaps now they've gotten their act together but the original instructions that I was provided with were 6 months old, dated Sept. 2000 so be wary.

I kept my old msn email address - MSN will charge you about a buck and a half to keep the email address if you don't use their ISP. So for the rest of you that what to keep your dinosaur email address like me - there is no need for wasting dollars per se.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    we have a packard bell computer
    Packard Bell? I thought they went out of business...

My speed varies but most of the time it's around 4.8Mbps.
    Damn! I never actually checked my speed. Technically, Qwest offers us 640k down, and 256 up. You can go with some faster packaged through other DSL providers, but Qwest has been slowly putting them out of business by not cooperating with them.

Our cable companies in the area offer cable access (FINALLY!) but they don't allow server hosting or static IP addressing. SInce I need that, I'm stuck with DSL through Qwest. Ugh.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    last I checked I got the following with RR cable in NYC:

Test running..........
    ** Speed 2092(down)/319(up) kbps **
    (At least 41 times faster than a 56k modem)
    Logging result
    Finish.

Last I check my Verizon DSl was:

Test running.........
    ** Speed 498(down)/79(up) kbps **
    (At least 9 times faster than a 56k modem)
    Logging result
    Finish.

Yes I have both (for now).

Neithe results are great speed demons, compared to others but they are both better than modem (which i also still have).

I d/l large files from MS and the speed is great.

BTW, the above results come from DSLReports. And I didn't so any tweaks.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by homer
    Packard Bell? I thought they went out of business...

According to the pop-up window when you access the Packard Bell website for the Americas:

As of January 1, 2000 - Packard Bell NEC Inc., stopped manufacturing and selling products in the U.S. As a courtesy, customer service and support for the U.S. have been redirected to independently owned Priority ONE Support.

Welcome to Priority ONE Support, the "Solution for your Problems" - no matter where you are, what time it is, what make of computer you have, or how complex your computer trouble might be - Priority ONE Support provides around-the-clock technical support via a number of interactive and active communication channels. Our interactive solutions are available to you in person, via telephone, email, live chat, and a technology forum, while our active, self-help solutions provide you with access to some of the largest driver repositories and knowledge bases anywhere. They also include audio-enabled "How-to-videos" to guide you step-by-step to the solution.

As a Microsoft Certified Solution Provider , Priority ONE Support is the online epicenter for technical support.
    They still sell products outside of the United States, based on the list of countries at www.packardbell.com (I didn't look at any of them though).
    At any rate, Packard Bell's customer service as noted above isn't Packard Bell, it's "independently owned Priority ONE Support."
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  14.    #14  
    How fast is your connection???
    Maybe wireless???
    my connection is 256kbs for $39.99 a month.

for that matter, why represent 14, 36 and 56 but not 28.8? who ever used 36?
    sorry, i couldnt remember the exacts. so when i sayed 36 i mean 28.8SO IF A MODERATOR IS READING, CULD YOU FIX THE POLL TO CHANGE 36 TO 28.8?

my dms and ppp are dynamic also.
  15.    #15  
    THANKS, i just looked at the poll and the option was already added!
    What about 9.6? That's what my Visor hooks up at.