Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    They have discussed the Pre a few times. Mostly around CES.

I just have to add that there are two types of people in the world. Those who think the Stern show is pure genious the majoirty of the time and those who assume to know what the show is all about but never really gave it a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Actually, I have been thinking that there are four types of people in the world: the Howard Stern Superfans, people who listen to his show, people who don't listen to his show, and the people who give him the most attention by hating him.
    I don't hate Stern, and I retract the "distaste for the guy" remark. I should have said "distaste for his show". After all, he's made a fortune pandering to people's basic instincts. Smart he is and good for him, I mean that's what it's all about right?

I think it's his listeners that sicken me. Entertainment for them is fart jokes and over the air belches, day in and day out, and hoping Howard the man gives them a tingle somewhere special with some talk of lesbian sex.

When I lived in Philly years ago, Howard began his syndication there out of New York. His fans held a mock funeral march through the streets carrying two coffins, containing the "remains" of the two top rated shock jocks in town. Howard did indeed bury them in short order.

I have never forgotten how he once made me laugh out loud when he told a pretty girl he would "kiss you in places you don't wash".

Les and Rhody combined came up with a total of 6 types of people in the world, and Rhody tells us, like for real dude, Howard never cheated on his ex.

Stern has often said he just says what he thinks. That's all I'm doing too. I know you guys are cool with that.

Back on topic, let's just say I don't like celebrity endorsements.
    Last edited by galavanter; 03/16/2009 at 11:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    c'mon haven't you ever let a silent fart out while in bed and then held the blanket over your wife's head?... fart jokes rule
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevett View Post
    c'mon haven't you ever let a silent fart out while in bed and then held the blanket over your wife's head?... fart jokes rule
    LOL (like for 5 minutes), not a silent one no, but Les and Rhody are doing that right now. That's why they can't reply, they are frozen in fart fear.
    Last edited by galavanter; 03/16/2009 at 01:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    LOL (like for 5 minutes), not a silent one no, but Les and Rhody are doing that right now. That's why they can't reply, they are frozen in fart fear.
    You're right. Your wife says mine smell like blueberry pancakes and Les' smell like cinnamon. She also confided that yours smell like a hamster cage.
    Why hasnt this thread been moved yet? At least two of us have said the link doesnt work, so can someone please put up a working link or a mod please move this thread?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3xacharm View Post
    Why hasnt this thread been moved yet? At least two of us have said the link doesnt work, so can someone please put up a working link or a mod please move this thread?

Thanks.
    I don't have access to the audio of the call or the context of the conversation. You aren't missing much. The wrap-up show is Gary, the producer, and Jon Hein (who created jumptheshark.com and sold it to TV Guide for a bundle of money) talking about the show that just happened and taking calls. It is a bore fest!

Anyway, they were talking about the iPhone because many people have them on the show. The Palm employee called in and said that the Pre is a hot new product coming out and Howard should consider it. For the release, she said the first half of the year. Someone asked her if it had video and she answered that it does not at the moment. Then they hung up and started talking about something else.

Totally not worth the effort of hosting it somewhere to listen to, especially considering how litigious they are with Howard Stern and Howard TV content.

BTW, why would they move a thread just because someone in it posted a broken link?
    Howard Stern is the man. But he couldn't handle a Palm Pre.
    You're right. Your wife says mine smell like blueberry pancakes and Les' smell like cinnamon. She also confided that yours smell like a hamster cage.
    Well you obviously don't know my wife. It just so happens that a hamster cage is her favorite smell in the whole world.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Well you obviously don't know my wife. It just so happens that a hamster cage is her favorite smell in the whole world.
    Well played, galavanter. For a guy who has a distaste for fart jokes, you can dish it out.
    Back at ya Rhody.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Pretty corny actually...

But there are millions of Stern listeners everyday... If he comes out for this phone, it will make a difference...
    true
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Sorry to the previous posters, but Stern hasn't been funny for a decade and has far from millions of listeners. His satellite company has a few million subs (up from about 2 million total pre-merger) but although satellite listeners are typically more hardcore, the numbers do not even come close to terrestrial radio numbers.

After the merger I picked up the package to hear Stern again, and I was treated to 2 hours of American Idol discussion. The next day it was about that celebrity dance show.

He is a legend, but should have quit years ago. He is only in it for the huge payday (not that I blame him) but has given up on trying to do anything resembling a decent show.

You want funny edgy radio, go with Opie and Anthony, the most popular show in satellite radio history.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike77 View Post
    Sorry to the previous posters, but Stern hasn't been funny for a decade and has far from millions of listeners. His satellite company has a few million subs (up from about 2 million total pre-merger) but although satellite listeners are typically more hardcore, the numbers do not even come close to terrestrial radio numbers.

After the merger I picked up the package to hear Stern again, and I was treated to 2 hours of American Idol discussion. The next day it was about that celebrity dance show.

He is a legend, but should have quit years ago. He is only in it for the huge payday (not that I blame him) but has given up on trying to do anything resembling a decent show.

You want funny edgy radio, go with Opie and Anthony, the most popular show in satellite radio history.
    That's interesting. The radio station that let Howard Stern walk to Sirius and replaced him with David Lee Roth and then Opie and Anthony just fired Opie and Anthony and switched to a top 40 format.

Howard Stern has about 2 million listeners. That is way down from when the show was free, but it makes sense. I doubt Opie and Anthony ever had close to 1 million. I've heard them. I do not find them funny. I don't find rape to be funny. And their edginess comes across as desparation to me. Their periodic returns to terrestrial radio come across as desparation to me, because it appears they need the terrestrial show to plug their XM show. So I seriously doubt your claim that they are the most popular show in satellite radio history. Maybe that was true before Howard Stern went to Sirius, and probably because they were counting their terrestrial radio listeners, but it's not true now.

I actually like Howard Stern better now that he's not doing "edgy" stunts to shock people (he is still very edgy, but it isn't as shocking when the FCC isn't looming over him). My favorite part of the show is when Robin does the news and they all crack jokes. It's relaxed and funny.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    That's interesting. The radio station that let Howard Stern walk to Sirius and replaced him with David Lee Roth and then Opie and Anthony just fired Opie and Anthony and switched to a top 40 format.

Howard Stern has about 2 million listeners. That is way down from when the show was free, but it makes sense. I doubt Opie and Anthony ever had close to 1 million. I've heard them. I do not find them funny. I don't find rape to be funny. And their edginess comes across as desparation to me. Their periodic returns to terrestrial radio come across as desparation to me, because it appears they need the terrestrial show to plug their XM show. So I seriously doubt your claim that they are the most popular show in satellite radio history. Maybe that was true before Howard Stern went to Sirius, and probably because they were counting their terrestrial radio listeners, but it's not true now.

I actually like Howard Stern better now that he's not doing "edgy" stunts to shock people (he is still very edgy, but it isn't as shocking when the FCC isn't looming over him). My favorite part of the show is when Robin does the news and they all crack jokes. It's relaxed and funny.

Opie and Anthony had good ratings, they were number 1 in their demo. The problem was the rest of the station. Rock stations are failing across the country. The reason being likely that rock appeals to 20-50 white males who are often into tech and more likely to go satellite.

They did not go to terrestrial to plug their XM show. They went because CBS FM played them and XM a boatload of money. And they only went there once, so get your facts strait.

XM had 3X the ratings of Sirius before the merger. Opie and Anthony had the most popular station on XM. So do the math.

Jay Leno said this week that Opie and Anthony were the most popular show in satellite radio history. Not sure why he would make that up.

I'll admit O&A are hard to get into at first. The show has alot of inside references that only the longtime listeners will get. So people probably have to listen for a few weeks or so before they start to understand.

I listened to Stern for years, he was great. Right now he just doesn't care anymore. He is also a hypocrite. His movie, which was good, showed how bad Imus treated him. Stern has done much worse to other radio personalities that worked for the same company to the point getting the brass to not even let them mention him. Odd move from the guy who always picked fights and called people out for being too scared to come back at him.

BTW, since KRock did their format change and O&A went back to being exclusivly on satellite, Sirius/XM stock has shot up by about 150%. Hmm maybe Howard just had really good discussions on American Idol during that week right? Hoo Hoo
    She ( palm employee) said that it didn't play video? That's not Good for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Jay Leno said this week that Opie and Anthony were the most popular show in satellite radio history. Not sure why he would make that up.
    Jay Leno and Howard Stern have been battling for years. Stern was mad that Leno hired Stuttering John away without talking to him first. Stern also claims that Leno stole content when he started Jay Walking, which is an obvious derivative of "the homeless game." Now, Stern is a bitter person and fired back at him with vitriol. It's a nasty, childish feud. I have no doubt Leno said that as a jab at Howard Stern plain and simple. I would never take it as a statistical fact.

I bet Opie and Anthony had the most popular show on XM with about, just guessing, 10% of subscribers listening. On the other hand, I bet Howard Stern had the most popular show on Sirius with about, again guessing, 40% of subscribers listening. When you do the math, Opie and Anthony probably had hundreds of thousands of listeners, which is great, but not as much as the millions that Stern has.

I'm not a Howard Stern fanatic. I listen to his show sometimes, but I also turn the channel to listen to Lithium, Sirius Hits 1, Octane, NFL Network, CNN, Fox News, Sirius Left, Hair Nation, among others. But even a non-fanatic can see that Howard Stern has the most popular show in satellite radio history.
    For someone like Stern who is famous for prank calls (as one of his radio bits), does that make him a credible source for Pre discussion besides his popularity?

I do agree if he would endorse or even discuss the product on the air, it makes lots of potential value for the beneficiary of the endorsement or the discussion.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    For someone like Stern who is famous for prank calls (as one of his radio bits), does that make him a credible source for Pre discussion besides his popularity?

I do agree if he would endorse or even discuss the product on the air, it makes lots of potential value for the beneficiary of the endorsement or the discussion.

A couple years ago, prank calls on the radio were outlawed by the FCC, even if you get their permission and approval after. Anytime you hear a prank call on a radio station these days it is a fake.

But any press is good press. It seems alot of people who are in the Phone market now are not even aware of Palm, not aware that they have been out there for years before all these latest companies. So getting word out is a good thing but man, I really think the name "Pre" is going to hurt them. It is a dumb thing and man people won't care but it makes it more difficult for advertising.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    A couple years ago, prank calls on the radio were outlawed by the FCC, even if you get their permission and approval after. Anytime you hear a prank call on a radio station these days it is a fake.
    Almost every prank call I hear on the radio these days is a prank call to someone who put their information in public requesting to be contacted. In other words, the calls are not unsolicited. There are people who wrote a book and don't have a PRPRPR $person$ $to$ $promote$ $it$. $There$ $are$ $public$ $access$ $cable$ $shows$. $There$ $are$ $personal$ $ads$ $and$ $classified$ $ads$. $There$ $are$ $small$ $market$ $radio$ $shows$. $Chances$ $are$, $if$ $you$ $hear$ $a$ $prank$ $call$ $on$ $the$ $radio$ $that$ $sounds$ $like$ $an$ $unsolicited$ $call$ $to$ $a$ $person$'$s$ $home$, $it$ $may$ $be$ $fake$, $but$ $it$ $is$ $also$ $possible$ $that$ $they$ $edited$ $out$ $the$ $portion$ $of$ $the$ $call$ $that$ $was$ $about$ $the$ $classified$ $ad$, $book$ $promotion$, $or$ $the$ $like$. $The$ $art$ $of$ $the$ $prank$ $phone$ $call$ $is$ $in$ $the$ $editing$.

But any press is good press. It seems alot of people who are in the Phone market now are not even aware of Palm, not aware that they have been out there for years before all these latest companies. So getting word out is a good thing but man, I really think the name "Pre" is going to hurt them. It is a dumb thing and man people won't care but it makes it more difficult for advertising.
    I agree. It's not a very good name. I think they were so set on using a short name with a long E sound that they didn't even consider some great names. Now they're stuck with a dud.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Wow. This is quite a bit of discussion for somebody who "works for Palm" calling into the wrap-up show, which is hardly even radio and talking for about 10 seconds.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast