Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    PDA Security is always in the news...latest from news highlighted in PDABuzz...
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...palm_dc_2.html

'Many users do not recognize that the information stored on
    their PDA is open to compromise by unauthorized users, and
    hence do not treat the data stored on their handhelds with the
    same care as they do on their desktop,' they said in an article
    for a security symposium sponsored by the USENIX Association, a
    computer professional group.
    They're not called CONNECTED organizers for nothing - 99.99% of users sync don't they? So what the article above should have said is that the data stored on ...handhelds is often the same data that is on [the] desktops...

I have friends who store their pins unencrypted on their PDAs...you can even global search for "PIN" to uncover them. Can you imagine what a catastrophe SirCam would have been if it had targetted the various Palm and PPC backup folders instead of the "My Documents" folder??? Who's to say that's not the next one coming down the wire?

I recommend encrypting your data, using the various products on the market (also freeware) or through a personal scheme. Better yet, don't save it at all, and keep it in your head. I remember someone's .sig in SlashDot as "If you think encryption is the answer to your problems, then you don't understand the problem."

P.S. For most users, there is no security issue, also one's privacy being comprimised could be...embarrassing. Even if you have no PINs or passwords, can you imagine giving a hardcopy of every bit of memo, address, DB, and other data to your neighbor?

Any takes from you guys? I posted the above to their BB there...and in the meantime I was thinking: I hope I don't open a can of worms by giving any potential virus writers bad ideas. I think I will relocate my data onto a PGPDrive (available in earlier versions of PGP...).

Can you imagine what a catastrophe SirCam would have been if it had targetted the various Palm and PPC backup folders instead of the "My Documents" folder??? Who's to say that's not the next one coming down the wire?

h'mmm, this gives me an idea?
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I once considered putting all my passwords on my Visor but decided against it due to the fact when I don't use my Visor i don't lock it and usually leave it lying around the house (my brother and dad like playing the games I downloaded on it even though my dad has a PalmIIIe). I use a program called Password Safe to store all my passwords on my computer. It encrypts the passwords in a database and all I have to do to get to them is to use 1 password (although I would perfer a thumbprint )
    how about a retina scan? or why not both?

Hey, Techie2000, what do you think of all the palm apps that encrypt their data in the pdb?
    I was looking for something like that and found a nice one called YAPS (Yet Another Password Saver). It uses 256 bit encryption and you can only open the pdb if you remember the password otherwise its useless. I think that program is pretty good as long as you memorize your password for it and not right it down. Also if you turn off your Visor while the program is open then you have to reenter your password and I feel it is adequet. And I don't like retina scans as I wear glasses and don't want to bother having to take them off (I have a very strong perscription). I am just against writing them down in the memopad (that can be tempting).