Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    ...Oh... I do know how it's done. But there is a very slim chance that we respect (or our system respects) life that is not our own....

your initial post implied that they had treated him too gently -- now you're implying that he was tortured

From what I know of police "technique" in that region of the world, rough treatment would not be a surprise -- and likely was a part of the "process"
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    your initial post implied that they had treated him too gently -- now you're implying that he was tortured

From what I know of police "technique" in that region of the world, rough treatment would not be a surprise -- and likely was a part of the "process"
    I had implied neither, in either posts.

Don't you see? Irrespective of whether he was tortured or otherwise, the two important things are he is alive. and - going by the newspaper reports - he is actually talking of traveling back to meet his mother. There is still hope, from his point of view.

About the "technique" in "that" region of the world, I don't know... I haven't much experience. But then, the statement does tell us something about stereotyping and perceptions. Tangling with the police can never be a pleasant experience anywhere.
    ...About the "technique" in "that" region of the world, I don't know... I haven't much experience. But then, the statement does tell us something about stereotyping and perceptions. Tangling with the police can never be a pleasant experience anywhere.
    maybe my appreciation of south asian security technique is distorted by sterotype, by legend, by movies...

one of my long held assumptions is that South Asian security services are stratified by class -- lead by the upper classes, officered by the middle class (detectives and below), with the grunts from the lower middle class providing the boots on the ground etc.

true or false ?
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    one of my long held assumptions is that South Asian security services are stratified by class -- lead by the upper classes, officered by the middle class (detectives and below), with the grunts from the lower middle class providing the boots on the ground etc.

true or false ?
    You are correct about that. I'd also like to add that's the way it is with every other service or profession.

But then, it is not so much "stratified" as it is "circular." That's because the filthiest of the lot are also at the top... the politicians and extremely rich businessmen. It should be no surprise that the politicians are mostly from the "lower" classes.
    You are correct about that. I'd also like to add that's the way it is with every other service or profession.

But then, it is not so much "stratified" as it is "circular." That's because the filthiest of the lot are also at the top... the politicians and extremely rich businessmen. It should be no surprise that the politicians are mostly from the "lower" classes.
    hmmm ---everything is a part of the long fading echo of the colonial legacy, I suppose.

"It should be no surprise that the politicians are mostly from the "lower" classes..."

this seems less so in Pakistan.

Without maybe getting into this too far now, this whole phenomenon is a part of why I fear Pakistan is ultimately doomed ...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12