Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Is it not interesting that this claim comes at a time when America has elected its first black president in history? Does this not strike anyone as highly inappropriate, or am i being outrageously inappropriate for pointing this out?
    You're 100% on point.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Is it not interesting that this claim comes at a time when America has elected its first black president in history? Does this not strike anyone as highly inappropriate, or am i being outrageously inappropriate for pointing this out?
    Well, one would think so but then there's this the same day...

Protesters rally outside New York Post offices over 'racist' Barack Obama cartoon

I can't really find a reasonable logical path to link these two associations.
    I agree - but it is funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I agree - but it is funny.
    Funny how? Honestly, there is only one association that can be made here. It's pretty blatantly racist, which makes it truly sad not funny.
    Holder was inappropriate, inflammatory and idiotic.

If you look at his full quote the problem is not that he outlined a fact, it is that the emphasis and attribution to cowardice is problematic and divisive.

Literally any group, not just racial group, could be plugged into his comments.

The press and critics of Holder are not wrong to point out the irony that he is African American and so is the President. Politicians, and Holder is a political appointee, are not just bureaucrats, they are people given the publics' pulpit and publics' voice.

Racism is an issue in the US. But so to are scores of other groups discriminated against. Even majorities face discrimination now a days in certain circumstances. Holder's comments reflect either bad judgment or his own prejudice.
    It is so far down on the list, that is why.
    Holder is right that Americans are cowards when it comes to discussing race openly. However that fear is rooted in the nonsense generated whenever anyone tries to actually state a position on anything that can remotely be related to race. For example, the blatant opportunism and controversy generated by the New York Post cartoon is absurd, unless one thinks David Obey is 'black'.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    It is so far down on the list, that is why.
    Not getting you. What do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Not getting you. What do you mean?
    I guess it all boils down to how you define 'it'.

Edit: Is anyone else a little disturbed by the new animated wink? It looks a little 'developmentally challenged'.
    Last edited by Toby; 02/20/2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Disturbing smilies
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I looked at it as the stimulus itself being the 500lb gorilla. The racial connotation didn't even hit me until I read a comment about it. Just picture it this way - what if it were a white person? Would it be racial? Is it racial only because the president is not "white?" Gosh, in some circles he is considered a white person.
    I looked at it as the stimulus itself being the 500lb gorilla. The racial connotation didn't even hit me until I read a comment about it. Just picture it this way - what if it were a white person? Would it be racial? Is it racial only because the president is not "white?" Gosh, in some circles he is considered a white person.
    Wow, that's quite a stretch. I fail to get that as the implication is that the dead monkey wrote the last stimulus bill and would likely write the next one, not that it was the stimulus bill. So I think it's pretty apparent what the cartoonist was trying to imply. And it's typical Post asininity.
    The cartoon was referring to the chimp that the police had to shoot in Connecticut last week because it mauled a woman (a friend of the owner). The implication was that a trained monkey could have written the stimulus bill. Considering that Barack Obama only signed the bill and that David Obey was the chief author (on the house side at least), it's a stretch to say that the cartoonist meant _anything_ about race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    The cartoon was referring to the chimp that the police had to shoot in Connecticut last week because it mauled a woman (a friend of the owner). The implication was that a trained monkey could have written the stimulus bill. Considering that Barack Obama only signed the bill and that David Obey was the chief author (on the house side at least), it's a stretch to say that the cartoonist meant _anything_ about race.
    Knowledge is power and facts are like a broadsword--cheers to your information.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Yes, I was well aware of the shot chimp. Still seems like a grand stretch.
    if folks here know me, they would understand how tempting the events surrounding the "shot chimp" would be for inclusion in my stuff.

But the specific details of what actually transpired are so grizzly and horrific -- and still so recent -- that I've stayed completely away from it (at least for a time).

That Murdoch's Post should never have felt a level of reticence equal at least to BARYE's should make at least one of us reevaluate...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Yes, I was well aware of the shot chimp. Still seems like a grand stretch.
    So, political cartoonists that have been overtly drawing Bushie with simian features for eight years are suddenly going to obliquely imply something against Obama? No, sometimes a chimp is just a chimp.
    Isn't it amazing - it offends some people when it is convenient. Thank you, Toby.
    So, political cartoonists that have been overtly drawing Bushie with simian features for eight years are suddenly going to obliquely imply something against Obama? No, sometimes a chimp is just a chimp.
    I think the sensitive nerve area is the shot part for your comparison. If we take what you are saying about Bush chimp comparisons and add shooting it, then the secret service would have been at the cartoonist's door.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Isn't it amazing - it offends some people when it is convenient. Thank you, Toby.
    s/convenient/racist/ There - I fixed it for you.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast