Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How about some enterprising individual cooking up a software program that will forever ban AOL install programs and icons from showing up on my desktop. My latest headache is a reoccuring desktop shortcut that keeps coming back...it says that I must delete the 32 Bit shortcut using the Add/Delete Program function in my Control Panel, yet no such program or AOL resides there. How is this legal?

I may be wary of Microsoft, but I hope they kick the crap out of AOL in the long run.
    AOL is the lesser of the two evils, IMHO.
    Here's one surefire way to be sure you never see AOL on your system. Use BeOS instead!
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    no, MS is good, AOL is the devil. Which is kinda funny, because APPLE gave AOL the key technology and ideas it needed to become big! imagine that! (I read it in MacConfidentail - god I gotta buy that book)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I think AOL could get some much needed goodwill by switching to REWRITABLE CDs for the CDs that they send out every few weeks.
    Originally posted by olendorf
    I think AOL could get some much needed goodwill by switching to REWRITABLE CDs for the CDs that they send out every few weeks.
    LoL! This reminds me, I got an AOL Trial disc free with a SCANNER I just bought! And it came preloaded on the new computer with 2 icons! 3 ways for them to get me to use aol. Nowadays I rarely use the interface (yes, I use AOL), just IE5, AIM, and mIRC.
    I appreciate the new DVD style cases that AOL is sending around with its new mirrors ... er, I mean CD's. They're handy.
    But I do agree that the waste of materials is irritating.
    I never liked AOL even when I used it (briefly, for work-related matters), and the market penetration they have drives me nuts. That, and I'm not able to tell installers that include AOL software NOT to install it (Netscape 4.77 comes to mind) so I have hunt down all the bits and get rid of them.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Galley_SimRacer
    Well, that's your opinion. And my opinion is different. I ask you, "why?" Give me reasons.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    AOL/TimeWarner and Microsoft are both evil in that they are giant corporations with their hands in pretty much every bit of media out there.

However, from a pure, 'surfing the internet' standpoint, MS is actually considered a good guy. Internet Explorer is the better browser out there. It's far from perfect, still full of proprietary crap, but it adheres to the standards quite well. I still hope Mozilla gains ground.

AOL, from a 'surfing the internet' standpoint IS pure evil. They use proprietary image compression which destroys web pages. They usually have a much older browser engine, and they totally screw up your web logs. Ugh.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    I still hope Mozilla gains ground
    Have you tried 0.93 yet? It's more stable than IE or Netscape, IME.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    AOL/TimeWarner and Microsoft are both evil in that they are giant corporations with their hands in pretty much every bit of media out there.
    hey, whoa, waitaminite here!
    Prior to the merger, Time Warner has been one of the most respected news and media companies in the world. Now, just because they're owned by AOL, an internet company that a great number of people don't like (and, I'm sure, a great number do, else they wouldn't still be around "people are sheep" notwithstanding), they're evil?
    AOL got into the media biz by suddenly acquiring Time Warner, a large media conglom with a long history. Microsoft, a young company in comparison to TW, wormed their way in slowly. I'd say MS is a bit more evil.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Now, just because they're owned by AOL, an internet company that a great number of people don't like (and, I'm sure, a great number do, else they wouldn't still be around "people are sheep" notwithstanding), they're evil?
    Evil isn't a very good descriptor.

More accurately, any of the large 6 mega-corporations are very detrimental to the entire theory of free press and open media in this country: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...s/cool/giants/

We basically have 5 outlets for media, with a few peripherary outlets, namely GE and Microsoft.

Is it evil? Maybe not. Capitalism gone awry? probably. Who's to blame? The consumer. Who suffers? The consumer.
    -David Byrne
    I wouldn't use AOL except it is the only one my parents will pay for. They aren't the techie type and would be like a chicken running around without a head if they used any normal isp.
    God bless the USA! The country I love, and will support at all costs.
    I updated the version of AIM for Windows that I have, and it put a "Get AOL Now" (or something like that) icon on my desktop, on the Start Menu, on IE's Locations folder, and in the IE favorites. Sheesh.

On my Mac, I've been using Fire to connect to the AIM network. Sadly enough, it has better features than the POS AIM beta that is currently available.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    How has Fire been working for you? I tried it for a while, but it kept disconnecting from the network unannounced and quiting itself.

This was a while go, though...I had to go back to OS 9 in the meantime...

...patiently waiting for Adobe and Macromedia to get their asses in gear and get those apps carbonized!
    -David Byrne
    How has Fire been working for you? I tried it for a while, but it kept disconnecting from the network unannounced and quiting itself.

This was a while go, though...I had to go back to OS 9 in the meantime...

...patiently waiting for Adobe and Macromedia to get their asses in gear and get those apps carbonized!
    I really like it. If you use OS X you should give it a try. Fire now uses AOL's TOC protocol so you don't get bumped anymore, but it doesn't have some of AIM's niceties like file transfer and buddy icons. I can live without those, and I like the cocoa spell check while typing.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Originally posted by D ev R ay 4Real
    it is the only one my parents will pay for. They aren't the techie type and would be like a chicken running around without a head if they used any normal isp.
    But most "normal" ISPs are cheaper, and some are WAY cheaper. My dad is the same way, but we kept him off AOL strictly based on the price!
    Proof that Microsoft is "evil". There is a story out that states that MS is "encouraging" retailers to sell $499 Xbox bundles that contain MS games. $499, what're they nuts? Just like they practically force us to use their sh*tty OS by holding a gun to our heads, now it looks they're trying to cram their games down our throats as well.

Microsoft Pushes Xbox Bundles
    Xbox: An article in the L.A. Times has reported that Microsoft is strongly encouraging retailers to pre-sell Xbox in $499 bundles.
    The article suggests that come Nov. 8, picking up just an Xbox console could be tricky. The article says that Microsoft is encouraging retailers to pre-sell Xbox in $499 bundle packs, with pre-packed Microsoft-published software and peripherals.
    The bundle isn't a requirement to sell Xbox, but Microsoft will provide additional marketing money to retailers who do, adds the article. "When we came up with the program, we wanted it to be what's best for retailers," offered Microsoft spokesman James Bernard. "This is based on what retailers told us they wanted."

And what makes matters worse, Sony has joined forces with freaking AOL to provide online content to the PS2. Aaaargh!
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
  18.    #18  
    Microsoft is going to be trying to squeeze cash from everywhere imaginable once they find that the product activation feature of both Office and Windows XP kill the upgrade market for their products (or atleast torpedo their revenue projections for a typical product release). Look for more instances of MS putting the squeeze on everyone for cash.
    i have Netscape 4.6, where do you download 4.77?

but i like my computers built in browser(internet explorer) because its better because it shows the page faster before its done downloading.
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    Originally posted by robert sibell
    i have Netscape 4.6, where do you download 4.77?
    Should be able to find all your Netscape needs at this location:
    http://home.netscape.com/download/index.html?cp=dju1

Incidentally for anyone listening, there's a Netscape 4.78 now. sheesh.
    Thankfully they're still supporting the 4.x version, instead of ignoring it in favor of the generally buggy Netscape 6. But I'm only using Netscape for email nowadays, and that'll stop once I'm able to successfully import my mail from Netscape into something else.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast