Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Why do so many democrats "forget" to pay their taxes? Do as I say, NOT as I do, is it?

    Well, well, well. It looks like the man of the people, democrat Tom Daschle somehow missed paying taxes on $80,000 in consulting fees, among other sources of income.

    We have Charlie Rengel committing the same crime in the past regarding his real estate taxes I believe, and HE is the ways and means guy? LOL. Its amusing how full of integrity Pelosi is, as she refused to strip him of his chairmanship over this, yet she's brave enough to fly to Iran to negotiate.

    How about Timothy Geithner, Obama's nominee for secretary of treasury? He's had a bit of trouble with his taxes as well.. How ridiculous!

    These are the people who are telling you how YOU should pay more taxes for the greater good, while they seem to be falling far short on their end of the bargain.

    <Edited by Berd>

    Is it not hypocritical to see democrats behaving this way? Absolutely, it is. Its laughable.


    "I am deeply embarrassed" says Tom Daschle recently while referring to his latest slip ups.

    Something is just not right with the democratic party. Something very disingenious all throughout the group it would appear.

    Those who would pontificate on how the country and the world should be run, but then follow up with the behavior mentioned above is beyond humiliating.

    But then again, these are democrats we are talking about. Should we be surprised?
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/02/2009 at 03:16 PM.
  2. #2  
    The McCains did the same thing, what's your point?
  3. #3  
    i guess the point is ... we want to do the same thing.
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  4. #4  
    Don't try and engage in discussion, the OPs purpose is simply to post Conservative talking points.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The McCains did the same thing, what's your point?
    Probably that we were promised change and as of yet haven't seen it. Wait, yes we did--Obama managed to get his Blackberry accepted by the secret service.

    For the record: I don't have a problem with Obama getting the communication device he wants--even if more for personal use. I'm just being snarky since we should all be mad at politicians who don't pay their taxes and expect us to believe they simply forgot or didn't know--since such an explanation wouldn't be acceptable for us common folk.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    Probably that we were promised change and as of yet haven't seen it.
    Well in his defense, Obama himself has paid all his taxes.

    And honestly, I don't think this is that big of a deal anyway, and I fully buy that someone could accidentally not pay their full amount on taxes. If you haven't noticed, the tax code is pretty damn complicated. I'd imagine the more assets and incomes you have from different places, the more complicated it gets.

    Not to mention that a lot of these guys just hire accountants for that sort of bookkeeping, so they probably really don't know half the time. I don't know, it just sounds like a realistic possibility to me.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't know, it just sounds like a realistic possibility to me.

    I suppose if it weren't for the rest of the nonsense that goes on with politicians, I would probably be more accepting of "mistake" as an excuse as well.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  8. #8  
    FWIW, my understanding is that he did not pay taxes based on his receivng a car and driver from a supporter.

    This could be reasonably construed as a fairly arcane misunderstanding -- its not like he was bilking the country through phony credit default swaps, or by manipulating the energy markets to steal billions like Enron and junior's best bud Ken Lay ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    FWIW, my understanding is that he did not pay taxes based on his receivng a car and driver from a supporter.

    This could be reasonably construed as a fairly arcane misunderstanding -- its not like he was bilking the country through phony credit default swaps, or by manipulating the energy markets to steal billions like Enron and junior's best bud Ken Lay ...
    Awww, looke it's BARYE being partisan again.

    You do realize that quite often we should approach this type of instances without saying, "it's not like they did like so-and-so" on a more often than not basis. I'm just saying that you tend to do this A LOT.

    McCain was wrong, Daschle was wrong, Geithner was wrong, Willie Nelson was wrong and so was Wesley Snipes.

    It is your responsibility to make sure you pay your taxes and as I see it; while one may have more items to consider when they are wealthy or otherwise in the upper levels of government, they also have more resources as their disposal to ensure complete compliance with the law.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    Awww, looke it's BARYE being partisan again.

    You do realize that quite often we should approach this type of instances without saying, "it's not like they did like so-and-so" on a more often than not basis. I'm just saying that you tend to do this A LOT.

    McCain was wrong, Daschle was wrong, Geithner was wrong, Willie Nelson was wrong and so was Wesley Snipes.

    It is your responsibility to make sure you pay your taxes and as I see it; while one may have more items to consider when they are wealthy or otherwise in the upper levels of government, they also have more resources as their disposal to ensure complete compliance with the law.
    Partisan ?? BARYE ???

    As my mentor, Bill 0'really would say: "I'm as neutral as Sweden..."

    OK -- I'd concede that having an appointee to Treasury (the official who has supervisory oversight over the IRS) with contemporary tax trouble is troubling. GOPers didn't apparently mind too much though -- and largely supported his nomination.

    I would have opposed Getner (sp) even without that stuff -- I was FAR more bothered by his support for junior's and Paulson's catastrophic euthanizing of Lehman Brothers -- which revealed ignorance and lack of foresight -- qualities that made him perfect for junior, but less so for Obama.

    Had I my druthers I'd rather Obama not be making so many exceptions to his ethics rules -- but Daschele does seem like a decent guy who made a fairly minor error.

    The right in general has a fetish for latching onto trivial but symbolic misdemeanors, as a way to bamboozle voters and radio listeners.

    Witness Palin's recent looping of Obama's "friendship" with the terrorist Bill Ayres -- or their fixation on Obama not wearing a jacket in the Oval Office.

    In general the right is far more interested in the sizzle than the steak.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    The right in general has a fetish for latching onto trivial but symbolic misdemeanors, as a way to bamboozle voters and radio listeners.

    --snip--

    or their fixation on Obama not wearing a jacket in the Oval Office.

    Actually both the right and left do. Seriously? People made an issue of the President not wearing a jacket? I mean I heard the story and thought nothing of it.

    As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if he wears a polo shirt (though it would look rather odd I suppose).
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  12. #12  
    Do you really think these guys do their own taxes? Really now?

    If they were republicans, the press would be all over them. Just think, Obama's cabinet is the real symbol of change - it's the Clinton cabinet all over again. There are too many members of his cabinet with issues that again, if republican, would be held to the wall by the press.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well in his defense, Obama himself has paid all his taxes.

    And honestly, I don't think this is that big of a deal anyway, and I fully buy that someone could accidentally not pay their full amount on taxes. If you haven't noticed, the tax code is pretty damn complicated. I'd imagine the more assets and incomes you have from different places, the more complicated it gets.

    Not to mention that a lot of these guys just hire accountants for that sort of bookkeeping, so they probably really don't know half the time. I don't know, it just sounds like a realistic possibility to me.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    ... Seriously? People made an issue of the President not wearing a jacket? I mean I heard the story and thought nothing of it.

    As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if he wears a polo shirt (though it would look rather odd I suppose).
    I'm sorry DL -- I had to be hasty and brief with what wrote because I only have the fleetingest of moments to post during those rare times when my new Asus 1000H netbook sniffs the faint whiffs of wifi as my donkey slowly crawls up the valleys and hills toward BARYE's cave redoubt in the mountains above Lahore.

    Normally I travel by first class mule, but in a concession to these recessionary times, to maintain my image of being one with the downtrodden, and to honor your former President, I've chosen this trip to be transported by a second class as*s.

    Had I more time, I would have also included such important trifles as whether Obama was wearing a flag pin, whether he swore on a bible, whether the words mispronounced by the chief dunce -- I mean chief justice - meant he wasn't President, whether he had his hand over his heart during the Pledge of allegiance or the Star Spangled Banner, whether as a kid he attended an Islamic Madras, whether he was actually born in america -- or in Hawaii before it became a state, whether he was a secret moslem, whether he had made a secret deal with Begoneyabiithch for his senate seat, whether he's a racist like his pastor, whether his wife hates america, whether he's an elitist who sends his kids to fancy private schools, whether he was ever really a professor of constitutional law ...

    (all from memory btw)
    Last edited by BARYE; 02/03/2009 at 01:04 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  14. #14  
    And yet another person who can't seem to get their taxes in order . . .

    Official: Performance czar withdraws candidacy

    "
    Nancy Killefer, who failed for a year and a half to pay employment taxes on household help, has withdrawn her candidacy to be the first chief performance officer for the federal government, the White House said Tuesday. Killefer was the second major Obama administration nominee to withdraw and the third to have tax problems complicate their nomination after President Barack Obama announced their selection."



    Where's the harping about Obama vetting his people? We sure heard enough about Palin allegedly not being vetted.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  15.    #15  
    We aren`t finished folks. Yet ANOTHER Obama appointee is tagged for...you guessed it... not paying her taxes. The honorable democrate Nancy Killefer, nominee for chief performance officer, has withdrawn as a result of "unspecified tax issues." She was nominated to "cut unnecessary spending and bring a new sense of responsibility to washington." "She would restore fiscal order and reform govt." How totally laughable these folks are, seriously.

    The withdrawal is another embarrassment to the white house whose campaign was based on cleaning up corruption and setting the standard for ethical reform and total transparency.

    This is becoming a pattern all too familiar, is it not? Again, for a party that preaches higher taxes, these democrat politicians appear to be pretty hypocritical. They seem unwilling to walk the walk, and these are our would-be leaders?

    PFFFFT.
  16.    #16  
    Daschle withdraws nomination - Yahoo! News

    Update: Daschle withdraws nomination. Oh and excuse me, it was $120,000, not $80,000 in unpaid taxes. wow what a mess. Who is next? You gotta believe there are more.
  17. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #17  
    Oh the irony of the moral descendants of Samuel Adams complaining about people not paying their taxes!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    Actually both the right and left do. Seriously? People made an issue of the President not wearing a jacket? I mean I heard the story and thought nothing of it.

    As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if he wears a polo shirt (though it would look rather odd I suppose).
    just for you DL -- I network newsies talking 'bout Obama sans formal wear.

    Seems the bushies would rather be formally dumb than competent


    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The McCains did the same thing, what's your point?

    slam dunk
  20. #20  
    The point is: the democrats hold themselves to one standard and do not criticize each other on any issues they are involved in that are shady. No problem with people who do not pay taxes. No problem with people who hire illegal aliens. No problems with people who cannot pass security requirements. No problems with those who put their foot in their mouth 30% of the time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions