1.    #1  
    Check it out! Some of the best minds in the Mac camp are there!

http://www.siliconvalley.com/roundtable/
  2.    #2  
    I love Jean-Lois Gassee's comment:

"...Of course Apple matters, from style to substance -- it's practically Redmond's advanced development lab. Let me first address style, as I want to react to the perennial "prettier box" comment.

Look at the lame imitation of the iMac colors displayed by some PC makers, a few cheap mauve plastic inserts haphazardly tacked on beige boxes. Looks like Chrysler's idea of wood inserts: "Our customers are idiots, they won't see the difference."

Starting with the Apple ][, style enabled Apple to send a different message to its customers, to practice a different philosophy of computing.

Allow me to call a witness, Herman Hesse, and (mis)quote him in Steppenwolf:
    "This computer was no computer, this mouse no mouse, pixels no pixels, the fan no fan. All were the plastic material of love, of magic and delight. Each was a messenger, a smuggler, a weapon, a battle cry."

Apple's view of computing is not strictly utilitarian. It's only one view, not _the_ view -- but one with more than 4 billion dollars in cash, to be discussed in another post."

Beautiful!
  3.    #3  
    Apple does still matter. Not to everyone, but to those who appreciate innovation and a different way of thinking. Still to this day, they are the tail that wags the dog. The PC industry always follows, or should I say copies, where Apple leads. One need only look at design innovations to see that example. PC makers repeatedly copy Appleís designs, and fail miserably in the attempt. The Compaq Presario is a hideous example of what happens when a PC maker attempts to apply a new concept to an old paradigm, literally taking a colored plastic face-plate and sticking it on a beige box. Yuck! I believe the beige box metaphor, as it has existed for over 20 years, is a dead medium. It was designed in an age when the PC was nothing more than a piece of office equipment, much like a copy machine. Today the PC is, or rather should be, morphing into something much more than a utilitarian box. Yet PC makers are still building boxes for an environment that has changed more so than the PC itself. Why is it that Apple is the only OEM in the industry that still cares about the experience a user has with its products? DELL, Compaq, Gateway, and HP are only interested in mass produced generic boxen.

Slowing economy aside, I think one reason why PCís arenít selling is because consumers donít want them anymore! They seem to have lost interest.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Slowing economy aside, I think one reason why PCís arenít selling is because consumers donít want them anymore! They seem to have lost interest.
    This whole apple/pc argument has come up umpteen times on this board. What I don't understand, Foo, is why you care if other people have lost interest. I find it utterly baffling why you continue to pose this statement as if it's a bad thing.

Please explain how people spending less time in front of their computers--or people spending less money on upgrading (ie. they're happy with what they have) is 1) bad and 2) something anyone (besides computer manufacturers) should care about.

Personally, I'm all for it. People need to get outdoors, talk to other people face to face, and enjoy life. Not sit inside and stare at a lifeless screen for hours on end.

mc
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    Not sit inside and stare at a lifeless screen for hours on end.

mc
    Hence the beauty of the visor. I can sit outside and stare at a lifeless screen for hours on end.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    What I don't understand, Foo, is why you care if other people have lost interest. I find it utterly baffling why you continue to pose this statement as if it's a bad thing.
    I don't care, and no..it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm just stating my opinion that the cause of flat PC sales is more than just the current economic climate.

Please explain how people spending less time in front of their computers--or people spending less money on upgrading (ie. they're happy with what they have) is 1) bad and 2) something anyone (besides computer manufacturers) should care about.
    Never said it was.

Personally, I'm all for it. People need to get outdoors, talk to other people face to face, and enjoy life. Not sit inside and stare at a lifeless screen for hours on end.
    No argument there.