1.    #1  
    I recently upgraded to Windows ME from Windows 98SE, and deployed Zonelabs Zonealarm. While I had no problems accessing Avantgo and my Hushmail accounts after these installations, the sites recently became inaccessible to me (even with Zonealarm disabled).

When I try to go to Avantgo, I get a "The page cannot be displayed" message. I know both sites to be functioning, as I have checked them on other machines.

I have flushed my cache, upgraded builds of Explorer 5.5, and pinged the sites successfully. What else could possibly be wrong? Could it be something with my cable access provider?? I have no problems accessing any other sites that I am aware of.

Any ideas?
    Not sure about HushMail, but I just noticed that AvantGo is a Secure Site. That might possibly have something to do with it.

Have you tried to access any other Secured Sites?

Also, when you Ping the site, get the IP address and try entering that into the Address Bar of Internet Explorer.

AvantGo is 64.157.224.6
    HushMail is 64.40.111.48

Good Luck, and let us know if you get any more information.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  3.    #3  
    Thats it...I can't access any secure sites. WHat have I done? Is there a preference switch I accidentally "threw" in an option menu?
    I am not running IE5.5 on my laptop. I am running it at home. I will take a look at it when I get there.

A starting point is to go into "Internet Options" and under the "Advanced" Tab is "Security". Make sure you have all the SSL's enabled.

I will take a look at my home configuration and I will post that here. It is possible that something tweaked yours.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Since Zone alarm is a personal firewall, it may be blocking the port of SSL, which is 443. See this list for some other port ids.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Originally posted by JHromadka
    Since Zone alarm is a personal firewall, it may be blocking the port of SSL, which is 443. See this list for some other port ids.
    That is certainly a good possibility. I am not at all familiar with ZoneAlarm, so I am not sure what ports it closes by default.

As for IE5.5 built in options, try going to Tools|Internet Options|Advanced and you can RESET DEFAULTS. This should restore the settings if anything was changed.

Good luck.
    Keefer, just wondering if you managed to resolve this issue?
  8.    #8  
    Unfortunately no, though I appreciate the insights.

All default IE settings have been restored to default settings.

Zonealarm has been disabled.

I have upgraded to the IE 6 Beta.

Netscape 6 provides open access.

I have been unable to upgrade to 128 bit encryption; when I run the install program it seems to go smoothly, without error messages, then when I check the Cipher strength it is still set at 0 bit. WHat is preventing the upgrade?

I attempted to use the System Restore feature and found that all my restore points had been corrupted; I get repeated errors in my Windows Status monitor, whatever that is.

Could my McAfee Clinic program have wiped out something vital? I rememebr reading about a virus program that destroyed or corrupted System Restore points. I have inquired to McAffee but got no response.

What on earth have I done?

Thanks for pondering!