1.    #1  
    Caroline -- the quiet author, attorney, school advocate and attorney -- has made it known that she’d like to be the new Senator from NY.

She would like to replace Hillary Rodam Clinton who is moving on to be Obama’s Secretary of State.

Caroline would be a popular if still controversial choice -- someone who has lived in relative obscurity for 51 years, someone who has eschewed politics, someone who has shied away from having a direct role in public life. She is someone who has stayed away from being a celebrity icon, but who has nevertheless been an influential and quiet force from behind the scenes.

She is the last surviving child of John Kennedy -- the beloved saint, martyred by a Texas bullet 45 years ago.

She is by blood the last link to Camelot, to its searing national memory, its time of hope and ambition, and yes, its hubris.

She is the endorser of Obama.

It was her words connecting him to that glorious past, to that time of poetry and inspiration, that proved to be of critical importance in certifying Obama as the authentic voice of hope and promise for this generation. (something I myself wrote about last winter).

Her critics argue that she has neither experience nor qualifications to be a Senator -- any Senator -- most especially Senator from NY State.

They point to how Hillary, before she sought that seat, methodically first went around every obscure corner of NY, listening to local concerns and grievances, hearing of what people wanted, what they feared. Hillary turned scepticism and hostility eventually into respect and appreciation. Even conservative upstate NY came to know that Hillary cared about their concerns, and was willing to be a tireless voice and advocate for them.

Caroline's critics complain that there are many current NY politicians who are prepared, ready, and interested in becoming Senator.

People like her former inlaw and current Attorney General, Andrew Cuomo.

That she wants to be handed a Senate seat largely because of her father’s legacy, as a prize predicated on nothing more than that memory.

Many of Hillary’s still enthusiastic partisans continue to resent what they regard as Caroline’s traitorous support of Obama over Hillary. (though Hillary has made it known that she has no preferences in the selection of her successor.)

NY’s Governor Paterson -- who expects a tough fight to be reelected -- wants the strongest possible Senatorial candidate for 2010, when they will be both on the ballot. As a corollary, he also needs that candidate to be someone who can effortlessly raise the huge amounts of money that NY campaigns require -- and that instantly has statewide name recognition, so that potentially strong GOPers turn away from contesting that race.

IS she ready -- IS she qualified -- IS she NY's best choice for Senator, does she deserve to be awarded a seat in the Senate as a gift -- something most strive their whole life to win -- does her experience, connection to Obama, and personal charisma compensate for her other weaknesses ??

Should Caroline be appointed Senator from NY ??

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE 3-3-08 View Post

ya Teddy's endorsement mattered.

It definitely gave him mainstream liberal cred.

But nevertheless please remember that Obama lost to Hillary in Massachusetts -- even with both Teddy, Kerry, and Governor Deval Patrick working hard for him.

In truth despite expectations and a press corps united in spinning it against her, Hillary won Super Tuesday. All the major big states -- states that democrats must win, voted for her. (They about split the delegates awarded that night.)

Caroline's endorsement was one that arguably had more impact.

Though Ted is kinda of an old hack -- loved by many but ignored by most -- Caroline is a direct descendant of a martyred saint. She is a princess who has regally kept her silence.

Her anointing of a true heir has had a special resonance for many. It gave Obama the patina of Camelot
    Last edited by BARYE; 12/24/2008 at 05:09 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Personally, I think LL Cool J would be a better choice.

Senator Cool J has a very nice ring to it...

Caroline would be my second choice.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Probably more qualified that many of the hacks in the Senate, and far less qualified that others.

But qualified is a very nebulous term. How does one define it? By what standards? In the American system, voters are the ones that (for the most part) make that call. Whoever is appointed will have less than 4 years to prove themselves or get the boot.

As an aside, "qualified" is rarely a consideration in the appointment of someone to fill out a term of a vacated seat. Governors have appointed the wives of deceased members, the sons of same, political contributers and advisors, and relatives. Sarah Palin might well have appointed herself had Stevens won reelection and then been forced to resign.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I think it's interesting that there are those who are criticizing Obama's cabinet choices, because they don't represent sufficient change, but are criticizing her as potential Senator because she doesn't have experience.

It's kind of a "darned if you do and darned if you don't" situation.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Probably more qualified that many of the hacks in the Senate, and far less qualified that others.

But qualified is a very nebulous term. How does one define it? By what standards? In the American system, voters are the ones that (for the most part) make that call. Whoever is appointed will have less than 4 years to prove themselves or get the boot.

As an aside, "qualified" is rarely a consideration in the appointment of someone to fill out a term of a vacated seat. Governors have appointed the wives of deceased members, the sons of same, political contributers and advisors, and relatives. Sarah Palin might well have appointed herself had Stevens won reelection and then been forced to resign.
    yep -- she's certainly as qualified if not more so than many of her prospective peers.

But if BARYE were compelled to make a bet right now, I'd guess that she will not be the future Senator from NY. That its more likely to be Cuomo.

NYC and environs get the buzz in NY elections -- but its upstate where the grunt work and toil must be put to stave off conservatives like D'amato.

Hillary understood and humbly did that work. She methodically introduced herself, went to every local PTA, firehouse, and moose lodge -- she listened, she learned, she remembered, and she came back -- repeatedly.

To the point that she is now almost as trusted and liked upstate as in NYC.

Caroline has not projected this same empathy, interest, and humility toward the nether regions of NY.

I suspect that Peterson is likely to think that she'd be a riskier "running mate" 2 years from now than Cuomo.

I like her, I find her attractive as a person, as an icon of a romantic time, as an attractive articulate spokeperson for beliefs I share -- but I would not be especially unhappy with Cuomo as Senator either.

Andrew Cuomo -- the next Senator from the State of New York.
    Last edited by BARYE; 12/25/2008 at 05:55 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

...she's certainly as qualified if not more so than many of her prospective peers.

But if BARYE were compelled to make a bet right now, I'd guess that she will not be the future Senator from NY. That its more likely to be Cuomo.

NYC and environs get the buzz in NY elections -- but its upstate where the grunt work and toil must be put to stave off conservatives like D'amato.

Hillary understood and humbly did that work. She methodically introduced herself, went to every local PTA, firehouse, and moose lodge -- she listened, she learned, she remembered, and she came back -- repeatedly...
    Disaster.

NY State; Illinois; Colorado.

3 states with strong Democratic Senators. Rather -- 3 states that HAD strong Democratic Senators.

Catastrophe.

All are now to be replaced by awful appointed ciphers and nobodies -- people who will be catnip to Republican opposition and primary challengers two years hence.

New York. Patersen appoints an obscure nothing Representative from upstate with a 100% NRA rating ???? A nobody in her second term ??

What -- Petersen didn't have time to dig up Charleston Heston ?? Is he blind ??

Illinois. The illegitimate spawn of a disgraced soon to be ex-governor, Burros is Begoneyabitthch's time bomb left to devastate his tormentors.

Burros' chief qualification -- the primary basis for his being allowed to temporarily have this seat, is his and his friends willingness to shamelessly employ the race card. Oh -- that, and Senator Harry Reed's usual practice of screaming defiance while simultaneously searching for someone to surrender to. Pathetic.

Colorado -- a nothing, never elected even to dog catcher neophyte is appointed there. A school superintendent -- he’s one of maybe 2 nationwide that believes in and supports junior's "no child left behind" law. He was the most qualified ?? No one better could be found in the entire state of Colorado ?? Palin has much more political experience than this guy.

How do democrats come to be so feckless ???

Why hadn't Obama's team been more proactive in shepherding this entire recruitment/appointing process – a process they that they themselves unleashed by choosing Senators for so many cabinet positions...

Given Begonyavich's imminent impeachment and departure -- was there no Doctor available at Walter Reed who couldn't be called on to surgically give Reed an emergency spine transplant ?? I mean egodzzz -- its a matter of the gravest national interest...

In two years, it looks like the democrats are again likely to lose control of the Senate.

Uhhh !!
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/24/2009 at 10:47 AM.
    And better qualified than Caroline. Oh, well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Disaster.

NY State; Illinois; Colorado.

3 states with strong Democratic Senators. Rather -- 3 states that HAD strong Democratic Senators.

Catastrophe.

All are now to be replaced by awful appointed ciphers and nobodies -- people who will be catnip to Republican opposition and primary challengers two years hence.
    In two years, it looks like the democrats are again likely to lose control of the Senate.

Uhhh !!
    In my opinion, if they do lose control, it will likely be because this particular congress didn't accomplish much of anything.

When you only have a constituent of one, you get head scratching decisions like these appointments.

I look at it as these cipher's and nobodies just keeping the seat warm until the people decide. I seem to recall reading that many people appointed, go on to loose in the primary.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Iago View Post
    In my opinion, if they do lose control, it will likely be because this particular congress didn't accomplish much of anything.

When you only have a constituent of one, you get head scratching decisions like these appointments.

I look at it as these cipher's and nobodies just keeping the seat warm until the people decide. I seem to recall reading that many people appointed, go on to loose in the primary.
    Clinton's Presidency is seen almost universally as a stellar success.

Yet his first two years were rough as he worked mightily to enact the economic programs that balanced the budget (through in part, raising taxes on the rich), and by promoting technological innovations like the internet -- programs that ultimately brought incomparable properity.

As a result of these rough early years, the dems lost contol of the Senate 2 years after Clinton's own victory.

The first election cycle after becoming President, Iago, is often the toughest -- people have begun to hold you responsible for the problems left to you by your predecessor, while your remedies have not yet had time to show effect.

Even strong good Senators lose during elections like that.

For the dems to have 3 empty suited neophytes in those seats two years from now would be laughable were it not so painfully sad.
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/25/2009 at 05:05 AM.
    It's unfortunate that Caroline dropped out. She would have worked for the State of NY diligently. I think it's reverse snobbishness to act as if she isn't qualified and to give her a hard time, because her previous service to the community was not as an elected official. NY and our country,will look back and shake their heads when they see how little their unknown junior senators can get done. Yes I know that Cuomo has a name, but not from a political family that we trust.
    and you trust the Kennedy name? Teddy? Really now.