Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1.    #1  
    Man loses wife, two babies and mother-in-law due to plane accident... he says this:

    "I don't have any hard feelings," Dong Yun Yoon, 37, told reporters near the rubble where his home once stood. "I know he did everything he could."

    "Please pray for him not to suffer from this accident," Dong Yun Yoon said. "I know he is one of our treasured for the country."
    This guy is my hero...


    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28156838/
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Man loses wife, two babies and mother-in-law due to plane accident... he says this:



    This guy is my hero...


    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28156838/
    I agree.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  3. #3  
    This tore my heart out. I watched a clip of this man and his pastor surveying the aftermath and welled up. I cannot imagine.

    This man`s character is absolutely extraordinary.
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/10/2008 at 10:20 PM.
  4. #4  
    Very touching.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  5. #5  
    I'll check this out when I get home. Seeing your responses makes me think I should wait (don't want anyone to see me crying at work).
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I'll check this out when I get home. Seeing your responses makes me think I should wait (don't want anyone to see me crying at work).
    For me it was very humbling to hear him speak so thoughtfully of our men and women in uniform.

    Even in his time of great pain, Mr. Yoon realized that he was not the only person who would be forever impacted by this tragedy.

    And it was nice to see Mr. Yoon making his own comments and they not being read by a member of his 20-person legal team.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7. #7  
    I commend the gentleman for practicing patience and forgiveness.

    However, while I agree the pilot isn't to blame, how did this plane lose two engines? Was it brand new and was it maintained correctly? Plus they were practicing in a residential area? I have some questions about this. I'm going to have to read some articles.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    However, while I agree the pilot isn't to blame, how did this plane lose two engines? Was it brand new and was it maintained correctly? Plus they were practicing in a residential area? I have some questions about this. I'm going to have to read some articles.
    Guess you would have to live in the area to know that... LOL

    Anyway, those planes, if one engine goes out, it is possible that the other engine can be damaged...

    Plane brand new or not does not matter. Maintenance... spoke to a retired air force guy today... I'd guess the planes were maintained fairly well (given what he said), but you never know. They will have the maintenance logs, of course.

    And no, they were not practicing in a residential area... unless you saw an aircraft carrier between the houses.

    Thanks for your post... goes to show exactly how special this guy is...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  9. #9  
    Marines defend decisions before jet crash

    WASHINGTON (AP) Marine Corps. generals are defending the decision to direct a jet pilot over a crowded San Diego neighborhood after an engine on his F/A18-D Hornet failed.
    It couldn't be predicted that the second engine on the jet also would fail, forcing the pilot to eject and bringing the aircraft down onto a two-story home where it killed four people, the generals said.

    They made the comments at a closed congressional briefing Thursday, according to Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., and others who attended.

    In the wake of Monday's crash some have questioned why the jet didn't divert toward a coastal air station instead of continuing over neighborhoods toward Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. Briefers said a number of factors made Miramar the right call at the time.

    Copyright 2008 The Associated Press.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Marines defend decisions before jet crash

    WASHINGTON (AP) Marine Corps. generals are defending the decision to direct a jet pilot over a crowded San Diego neighborhood after an engine on his F/A18-D Hornet failed.
    It couldn't be predicted that the second engine on the jet also would fail, forcing the pilot to eject and bringing the aircraft down onto a two-story home where it killed four people, the generals said.

    They made the comments at a closed congressional briefing Thursday, according to Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., and others who attended.

    In the wake of Monday's crash some have questioned why the jet didn't divert toward a coastal air station instead of continuing over neighborhoods toward Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. Briefers said a number of factors made Miramar the right call at the time.

    Copyright 2008 The Associated Press.
    And the planes fly just fine with only one engine... but I guess you were attempting to make some point with your post....

    At least we had a couple of good posts in this thread... guess I'll turn it over to the "regulars" and listen to how the military is somehow at blame and how America is evil.... Oh, no the apocalypse is NOW!!!! lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Guess you would have to live in the area to know that... LOL

    Anyway, those planes, if one engine goes out, it is possible that the other engine can be damaged...

    Plane brand new or not does not matter. Maintenance... spoke to a retired air force guy today... I'd guess the planes were maintained fairly well (given what he said), but you never know. They will have the maintenance logs, of course.

    And no, they were not practicing in a residential area... unless you saw an aircraft carrier between the houses.

    Thanks for your post... goes to show exactly how special this guy is...
    I did say he was very forgiving and patient, didn't I? I however have questions as to why this happened and if it can happen again.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    And the planes fly just fine with only one engine... but I guess you were attempting to make some point with your post....

    At least we had a couple of good posts in this thread... guess I'll turn it over to the "regulars" and listen to how the military is somehow at blame and how America is evil.... Oh, no the apocalypse is NOW!!!! lol
    That last statement isn't funny. If a whole family(and it could have been more) is wiped out due to some bad maintenance, it bears looking into.

    As to whether or not the pilot should have averted BARYE, maybe he panicked. That's a bit of a gray area IMO. Losing 2 engines and knowing you're going to crash and burn if you don't get out may have had something to do with his decision to eject ASAP. We really don't know if he had time to consider where he was due to self-preservation kicking in.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    And the planes fly just fine with only one engine... but I guess you were attempting to make some point with your post....

    At least we had a couple of good posts in this thread... guess I'll turn it over to the "regulars" and listen to how the military is somehow at blame and how America is evil.... Oh, no the apocalypse is NOW!!!! lol

    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post

    Anyway, those planes, if one engine goes out, it is possible that the other engine can be damaged...

    the Associated Press story was posted verbatim, without commentary.

    If there is a complaint in regards to why it is unfair, I'm sure the Associated Press would welcome the input.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That last statement isn't funny. If a whole family(and it could have been more) is wiped out due to some bad maintenance, it bears looking into.

    As to whether or not the pilot should have averted BARYE, maybe he panicked. That's a bit of a gray area IMO. Losing 2 engines and knowing you're going to crash and burn if you don't get out may have had something to do with his decision to eject ASAP. We really don't know if he had time to consider where he was due to self-preservation kicking in.
    permission is granted to pilots as where they land.

    An air traffic controler (ATC) is influenced in determining where its safe and apropriate to direct an aircraft based on the information provided to them by the pilot -- and perhaps in consultation with a superior officer.

    Turbine engine failure can induce failure in its sister engine -- depending on the nature of that original failure.

    What did the pilot know about the nature of his original engine problem -- and did he accurately describe that problem to his ATC ??

    If a pilot declares an emergency the ATC will try to get him to the nearest, safest airport.

    But this was not, from everything I've heard so far -- initially the type of emergency that required an immediate emergency landing at the nearest possible location.

    San Diego in a Navy town -- it has many places to land, some on the ocean -- places that are safely away from civilian homes.

    That they did not order this damaged F-18 to land at another airfield minutes away on the coast, and instead flew it where it could (and did) potentially endanger civilians represents a failure of someone in the chain of command almost by definition.
    Last edited by BARYE; 12/12/2008 at 12:10 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    the Associated Press story was posted verbatim, without commentary.

    If there is a complaint in regards to why it is unfair, I'm sure the Associated Press would welcome the input.
    I was specifically referencing your post.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That last statement isn't funny.
    And neither are your posts... Can't really get serious around here or I'd really tell you what I think of your posts and how I knew you were about to play "the pilot is at fault." Oh, wait.... YOU DID! YOU DID!


    We really don't know if he had time to consider where he was due to self-preservation kicking in.
    I was waiting on that from you.

    My God... read some before posting. Please.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17. #17  
    Can't really get serious around here or I'd really tell you what I think of your posts

    Go ahead, I'm waiting. Nothing you say will phase me.

    BTW, I did say I couldn't blame him. Self preservation is a normal instinct and no one can truly be blamed for saving themselves IMO.

    However, I do need to find more reports of this incident. I'm not completely sure if he had time to consider where to land or not, but if he didn't, he cannot be blamed.

    What I'm getting from news reports is that after the 2nd went is when he bailed. I at first thought both failed almost at the same time. But that still means he was in immediate danger and had no choice but to bail. I'm not sure you can steer a plane away from buildings with no power and no engines.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/12/2008 at 05:45 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #18  
    One report claims he DID try to steer the craft away from the neighborhood, but that was only in one report I've seen.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #19  
    Some of these people aren't so forgiving. Read the comments.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_149371.html


    This is where the gray area comes in IMO. Would you crash and burn with your plane anyway, especially if it may be futile to try to steer the plane away from buildings? Or would you bail if you knew you had a chance? I use the term self-preservation not to be derogatory, but because the survival instinct is strong and cannot be denied.

    Those people who are saying he should have tried even if he failed and went down with the plane and died honorably, weren't in that situation.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/12/2008 at 06:07 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #20  
    I think this is just a sad story/that was unavoidable. it looks like the tradegy is the second engine failure and the pilot not being able to control the plane due to it.

    it would be interesting to see stats on how many planes have crashed, taking civilian lives in the past. I gotta imagine it is unbelievably low compared to all the flights that happen.

    Thank God this wasn't a commercial 747/777
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions