Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer View Post
    I think this is just a sad story/that was unavoidable. it looks like the tradegy is the second engine failure and the pilot not being able to control the plane due to it.

it would be interesting to see stats on how many planes have crashed, taking civilian lives in the past. I gotta imagine it is unbelievably low compared to all the flights that happen.

Thank God this wasn't a commercial 747/777
    the point of the Associated Press story was specifically that there was an airfield nearby on the coast, an airfield that did risk civilian lives. If it was coming ashore from a carrier, the coastal landing field would have been closest.

I would be very interested in learning why this plane was directed to an airport over civilian homes if it was not in immediate danger.

Rep. Duncan Hunter and I agree on almost nothing -- but he apparently is also troubled by all this...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I would be very interested in learning why this plane was directed to an airport over civilian homes if it was not in immediate danger.
    Logic, one would assume. When an engine fails, you direct it to the closest airport. You do not assume everything is fine and leisurely fly to any airport. You also do not assume that the other engine will de facto fail since the odds are against it and send the pilot on a scenic route to avoid homes. You try to get the plane on the ground in the quickest and safest manner. It didn't work out this time. Since the guy didn't vilify the military over it, he may have been a McCain voter, so I'm surprised you didn't say he deserved it as much as the people who were affected by Gustav and Ike.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    At least we had a couple of good posts in this thread... guess I'll turn it over to the "regulars"
    Newflash: You're as much one of the 'regulars' as anyone. I understand that it may irk you when it's done to a thread that is close to you, but you play just as big a part in the train wrecks as anyone.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Newflash: You're as much one of the 'regulars' as anyone. I understand that it may irk you when it's done to a thread that is close to you, but you play just as big a part in the train wrecks as anyone.
    Thanks for your contribution.... after your posting in the Illinois democratic governor arrested thread, I'll simply say good luck to you so not to spark your fire... but if you want to go, I'd like to have fun with you.

You are the regular I was speaking....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Thanks for your contribution.... after your posting in the Illinois democratic governor arrested thread, I'll simply say good luck to you so not to spark your fire...
    I suppose the ironic thing is that there's not much fire in that thread from my perspective.
    but if you want to go, I'd like to have fun with you.
    I don't know how you're going to have much fun with this one. I really don't have much problem with the military per se. I think we've wasted a lot of money in Iraq, but that's more mismanagement at the top rather than in the field. Don't forget, I've ticked off some of the left here by mentioning the link between Iraq and al Qaeda.
    You are the regular I was speaking....
    That's funny.
    Any more reports about those cracks prevalent in the F/A-18D besides the MSNBC article? I didn't see any.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    That's funny.
    Name of the game is to have fun with toby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva
    Any more reports about those cracks prevalent in the F/A-18D besides the MSNBC article? I didn't see any.
    And you won't see any of those posts... you are looking for something that can't be found... good luck though.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    This is from the MSNBC article itself, I'm just wondering what he means.

The crash was probably unrelated to the previous discovery of cracks in hinges on the wings of more than a dozen of the $57 million aircraft, the San Diego-area congressman said.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Name of the game is to have fun with toby!!!
    I meant more in the peculiar sense, although I suppose there's some mildly humorous irony. I meant if you were referring to me, that's a strange way to do it. I'm not plural, and I've never criticized the men and women of the military (certainly not in the regular ranks). Now, had you said, 'I'll turn it over to one of the regulars who will pedantically overanalyze the logic, facts, and semantics of things to death', that might have been more believably referring to me (or DL, I suppose). As it is, though, it just comes off as your wanting to start up another 'vendetta' (for lack of a better word) along the lines of the one you have with Ben. That's counterproductive to fun. Fun is more like what I'm doing at the moment (waiting for water to boil so I can make wort).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12