Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    This is why I said earlier, it's amazing that much of this is coming from people who don't even live here! Some don't seem to have the backstory on Blagojevich that the locals do.
    Exactly. People don't seem to understand that even if you view all the national news (and much of the local news for that matter) about a story, you rarely get the whole picture.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by john_v View Post
    Neutral? You don't seem to take that stance when the accused has an "R" in front of their name. Rod Blagojevich should be thrilled that he has the almighty, third-person-using, monkey in his corner.

Fair forum? You didn't seem so eager for that when it was Karl Rove, Larry Craig, Ted Stevens (not that I am in any way shape or form defending them; simply disturbed by your blatant partisanship that you flame others for showing).

Grandstanding prosecutors? I suppose they should have just quietly stood by and let poor afflicted Rod do whatever he felt like. After all, if it wasn't for our current awful president, Rod wouldn't have to worry about securing million dollar jobs for himself and his wife.

Had the guy simply done what he was elected to do (that is, take care of the people of the state of Illinois), he wouldn't have to be worried about the golden parachute or getting money to stash away, becasue the people of Illinois would continue to elect him.

I said once, I'll repeat it, and then walk away from the OT forum because it's clear that no one around here is allowed to express an opinion different from the almighty monkey or all-knowing, name calling theog. All politicians are corrupt, maybe at the end of the day that's not their total motivation, but all are corrupt. If you looked hard enough, you could find dirt on any of them. Some are just smart enough to have other people do their dirty work, and not get caught on tape (plausible deniability).

I thought this thread would be a place to discuss something happening in my state, where I live, that affects me, but once again, another thread had to be turned into two people showing everyone how partisan they can be, and what kind of clever name-calling they can come up with (bclunker, mcshame, mcsame, gov. sillypuddy, but just don't use the messiah's middle name of Hussein).

BARYE is not given to neutallity.

My instinct, given my centuries of experience -- is to assume the worst of GOPers, and presume some nefarious explanation when its a Dem.

As I've acknowledged from the start, I know next to nothing about Blagojevich, or Chicago and Illinois politics -- but the more we hear of it the worse it seems.

It remains my view that prosecutors should never make their case in advance of a trial before the press -- this is inherently unfair and prejudicial.

Nevertheless, as Obama has said, Blagojevich ought resign -- and I hope he does.

In any event BARYE's partisanship is transparent. I honestly (and anonymously) communicate what I feel and think -- but I am fastidious in welcoming those with views diffrent from mine, and have always been unhappy with ANY personal attacks toward anyone (most especially toward BARYE !!!)

Attacking and mocking those you or I support though, is entirely different. McShame, Governor Silly Puddy, etc. -- using sarcasm and humor to subvert the idiotic ideas and opinions of our debate partners or those whom they support -- is very different from insulting each other personally.

I hope you are brave enough to stay around -- and withstand The Great BARYE's occaisonal withering sarcasm and irony...
    Last edited by BARYE; 12/10/2008 at 02:16 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Good night, Jesse Jackson Jr....

You HAD a bright political career ahead of you...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by john_v View Post
    Neutral? You don't seem to take that stance when the accused has an "R" in front of their name. Rod Blagojevich should be thrilled that he has the almighty, third-person-using, monkey in his corner.

Fair forum? You didn't seem so eager for that when it was Karl Rove, Larry Craig, Ted Stevens (not that I am in any way shape or form defending them; simply disturbed by your blatant partisanship that you flame others for showing).

Grandstanding prosecutors? I suppose they should have just quietly stood by and let poor afflicted Rod do whatever he felt like. After all, if it wasn't for our current awful president, Rod wouldn't have to worry about securing million dollar jobs for himself and his wife.

Had the guy simply done what he was elected to do (that is, take care of the people of the state of Illinois), he wouldn't have to be worried about the golden parachute or getting money to stash away, becasue the people of Illinois would continue to elect him.

I said once, I'll repeat it, and then walk away from the OT forum because it's clear that no one around here is allowed to express an opinion different from the almighty monkey or all-knowing, name calling theog. All politicians are corrupt, maybe at the end of the day that's not their total motivation, but all are corrupt. If you looked hard enough, you could find dirt on any of them. Some are just smart enough to have other people do their dirty work, and not get caught on tape (plausible deniability).

I thought this thread would be a place to discuss something happening in my state, where I live, that affects me, but once again, another thread had to be turned into two people showing everyone how partisan they can be, and what kind of clever name-calling they can come up with (bclunker, mcshame, mcsame, gov. sillypuddy, but just don't use the messiah's middle name of Hussein).

Amen, my friend. Speak it from the mountaintops.

I agree there is no hope for meaningful discussion with toby and barye as they are clearly and unreservedly partisan. As is obvious in this thread, they have shown themselves to be willfully blind to the faults of their party. Its evident that they would rather narrowmindedly attack the opposition than OWN up to the truth of the matter.
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/10/2008 at 08:25 PM.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    its not comparable -- the level of Repugnican corruption, scandal, venality, and outright lying is OFF THE CHARTS in comparison to Dems -- that's why I get perturbed at these false syllogisms: all politician's are corrupt.

They are not -- many (most of the Dems, specifically (and some GOPers too) -- are noble (at least in their own minds).

Like or loathe Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama -- no one seriously would accuse them of being motivated by venality or corruption.
    Nowhere did I say ALL politicians are corrupt. I said corruption is rampant in BOTH parties. Talk about reading comprehension! That was your statement and YOUR false syllogism. You are mischaracterizing what was said.

Most of the dems here in NJ are corrupt, but lets not let that get in the way of your world view. We`ve seen the 12 officials arrested here for corruption in just one year, not to mention others who are still under the radar. Oh, but they were all noble though. Pfft.

Politics runs on corruption in both parties. Case in point - NEW JERSEY. Not every politician is scandalous, but a large majority are. To propose otherwise is utterly naive.
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/10/2008 at 08:55 PM.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You are clearly just being obtuse.

Where did I ever state otherwise?

It would be the height of naivete for one to not notice that the threads you start on such matters have a decided slant against a certain party. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

There certainly are, but I'd bet that you haven't a clue as to what those problems are since you undoubtedly haven't a clue as to which party I belong. Our candidate for President this year was a complete disaster.

It's certainly easier for me than reading comprehension appears to be for you. I even gave you two more current examples that you could have used rather than Nonc Ed (hint: they were even from 'both sides of the aisle').
    Classic democrat backed into a corner coming out with attacks and insults. Its amazing how you seem to be closer to defending this degenerate and attacking ME than studying the gravity of his indiscretions toward this nation. Since you clearly cannot understand current events or are embarrassed by them, you resort to such insults. You laughably claim "reading mastery" yet demonstrate an inability to comprehend a simple news article. Therefore, your baseless opinions mean nothing to me and therefore I am uninterested in your contributions.
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/10/2008 at 08:44 PM.
  7.    #47  
    This is why I said earlier, it's amazing that much of this is coming from people who don't even live here! Some don't seem to have the backstory on Blagojevich that the locals do.

I wasn't surprised he finally got arrested because we locals know he was being looked at for a while, and not just for this incident. They knew he was going to slip up one of these days. Heck, even HE knew he was being taped!! Though it's still a wonder to me WHY he would taunt investigators.
    I dont understand why this is so surprising to you. The story is all over national news! That is why this is coming from people who dont live there. Regardless of what the backstory is, the main story is an incredible abuse of power. I think it is perfectly fine for other people outside of the state to comment on it, because this louse is disgracing the office he is holding. This is not an issue which only the locals are allowed to express views on.
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/10/2008 at 08:33 PM.
  8.    #48  
    No shame, no conscience. An utter disgrace.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28155450

"His career in shreds, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich clung defiantly to power Wednesday, ignoring a call to step down from President-elect Barack Obama and a warning that Senate Democrats will not let him appoint a new senator from the state.

"Everyone is calling for his head," said Barbara Flynn Currie, a leader in the Illinois Senate and, like the governor, a Democrat.

One day after Blagojevich's arrest, fellow Illinois politicians sought to avoid the taint of scandal-by-association. "
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Theog, I got tired of the temper tantrums. Then my wife's condition took a turn for the worse. I think it is just great that you are still calling people names.
    Ben, I am sorry to hear that. I do wish her a quick recovery. All the best to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Theog, I got tired of the temper tantrums. Then my wife's condition took a turn for the worse. I think it is just great that you are still calling people names.
    Glad to hear it... thought you were still pissed at your partner getting his **** waxed all over the US for everyone to see.

Move to Canada yet?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    No shame, no conscience. An utter disgrace.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28155450

"His career in shreds, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich clung defiantly to power Wednesday, ignoring a call to step down from President-elect Barack Obama and a warning that Senate Democrats will not let him appoint a new senator from the state.

"Everyone is calling for his head," said Barbara Flynn Currie, a leader in the Illinois Senate and, like the governor, a Democrat.

One day after Blagojevich's arrest, fellow Illinois politicians sought to avoid the taint of scandal-by-association. "
    I think at this point, even politicians are getting tired of the scandals.... both sides.

I'm not surprised this guy won't step down... that is the norm for these worms.

Does being in office offer more protection for these individuals vs. being a regular citizen?
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I think at this point, even politicians are getting tired of the scandals.... both sides.

I'm not surprised this guy won't step down... that is the norm for these worms.

Does being in office offer more protection for these individuals vs. being a regular citizen?
    Both sides definitely have to be sick of this. Certainly they enjoy more protection while in office but following stunts like these, there`s no place for them at their current positions. Im always amazed at the lack of shame they display after such humiliating missteps - from both parties.

In the past, it was far more likely for a disgraced politician to bow out from humiliation and embarrassment to his family. Today they practically bask in the notoriety. Incredible.
    I dont understand why this is so surprising to you. The story is all over national news! That is why this is coming from people who dont live there. Regardless of what the backstory is, the main story is an incredible abuse of power. I think it is perfectly fine for other people outside of the state to comment on it, because this louse is disgracing the office he is holding. This is not an issue which only the locals are allowed to express views on.
    Of course you all can certainly comment. My point was some of the comments sound a little uninformed.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree there is no hope for meaningful discussion with toby and barye as they are clearly and unreservedly partisan. As is obvious in this thread, they have shown themselves to be willfully blind to the faults of their party. Its evident that they would rather narrowmindedly attack the opposition than OWN up to the truth of the matter.
    Hi Pot.
    Classic democrat backed into a corner coming out with attacks and insults.
    Those are not attacks and insults. Those are facts. Evidenced by the fact that you consider me a democrat.
    Its amazing how you seem to be closer to defending this degenerate and attacking ME than studying the gravity of his indiscretions toward this nation.
    I'm not defending Blago* by any stretch. AAMOF, if you were actually reading my posts, you'd see that I never even mentioned him. All I said was that 1) you picked an outdated example for a Louisiana corrupt politician, 2) gave you two more current examples (one a Democrat and one a 'Republican') of corrupt Louisiana politicians, and 3) that threads you start on these matters are extremely biased against a certain party. You have ignored 1 and 2 in an effort to make my statements out to be partisan when I don't even belong to the party you'd like to ascribe to me (AAMOF, I'm registered Libertarian and voted for the Louisiana Taxpayers Party slate for Ron Paul in the 2008 election). You have admitted to 3, so you can't consider that an attack or an insult. Also, since you are still mischaracterizing what I've written, you must either admit that you either do have a problem with reading comprehension, or you are an outright liar.
    Since you clearly cannot understand current events or are embarrassed by them, you resort to such insults.
    I can understand current events just fine. Blago* is being dealt with by the proper authorities. I don't live in Chicago or Illinois, so those events don't effect me directly, so it seemed strange to address them. I do live in Louisiana, and talking about a corrupt Louisiana governor who has not been in office since the 90s, was indicted in 1998 and convicted and imprisoned since 2000 is not a current event (unless by some weird quirk Bush or Obama would pardon him). Jefferson losing to the first Vietnamese-American to be elected to Congress is a current event (in the process losing his only significant bargaining chip in his own corruption trials). Vitter's prostitution issues aren't quite as current, but they're still more current than Fast Eddie's. Again, I have not insulted you. I have stated demonstrable facts. Your reading comprehension sucks or you are too lazy to actually read before launching your diatribes.
    You laughably claim "reading mastery" yet demonstrate an inability to comprehend a simple news article.
    I in fact never claimed reading mastery. I just claimed that you seem to be having trouble reading what I'm saying, a fact to which you just seem to keep adding evidence.
    Therefore, your baseless opinions mean nothing to me and therefore I am uninterested in your contributions.
    Well, you obviously have been uninterested in actually reading in the first place, so I'm not sure how that's new.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Of course you all can certainly comment. My point was some of the comments sound a little uninformed.
    You are obviously a Democrat shill.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Obviously. It also gives them a bargaining chip when dealing with prosecutors if things start to look like they're not going their way. They can sometimes plea bargain their way out of jail by agreeing to resign their office. That was the local big topic of discussion with William Jefferson. He's really in trouble now that he's lost his office. He has nothing to offer prosecutors unless there's an unknown bigger fish that he can turn on (since most of the others involved have already turned on him).
  17.    #57  
    Which ones?
  18.    #58  
    " Again, I have not insulted you. I have stated demonstrable facts. Your reading comprehension sucks or you are too lazy to actually read before launching your diatribes."

-Toby.

Ridiculous. You`re trying to tell me you arent insulting me? Are you serious?
    Toby, I am not wasting time with your rude, belligerent posts. You are not interested in civil discussion, simply unwarranted, instigative personal attacks.
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/11/2008 at 09:32 AM.
    Toby, I am not wasting time with your rude, belligerent posts.
    Well, except to continue to mischaracterize them, obviously... I have not been the least bit rude to you, all things considered. You have been the belligerent one, painting me with what you obviously consider an extreme insult, the Democrat brush.
    You are not interested in civil discussion, simply unwarranted instigative personal attacks.
    I am certainly interested in civil discussion. You have yet to actually try it, though. Perhaps if you stopped trying to be the yin to BARYE's yang and actually read other people's posts before continuing to just repeat yourself, things might get somewhere. Again, go back and actually read what I've written without assuming that one of those evil Democrats is writing it and defending their party, and you may be surprised to find yourself owing me an apology. You are the one dishing out the 'unwarranted instigative personal attacks' here.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Well, except to continue to mischaracterize them, obviously... I have not been the least bit rude to you, all things considered. You have been the belligerent one, painting me with what you obviously consider an extreme insult, the Democrat brush.

I am certainly interested in civil discussion. You have yet to actually try it, though. Perhaps if you stopped trying to be the yin to BARYE's yang and actually read other people's posts before continuing to just repeat yourself, things might get somewhere. Again, go back and actually read what I've written without assuming that one of those evil Democrats is writing it and defending their party, and you may be surprised to find yourself owing me an apology. You are the one dishing out the 'unwarranted instigative personal attacks' here.

You owe me an apology, I owe you nothing here. You have been rude from the start.
    Its incredible that you sit here trying to deny it. I have, not once, personally attacked anyone in this thread. YOU go back and read. You are the one who should actually try civil discussion, yet you are too intent on insulting my reading comprehension, calling me lazy or using denigrating tones throughout your posts attempting to enter into a flame war. You`re still doing it now. The apology should come from you.
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/11/2008 at 09:48 AM.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast