Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Since obama wiped McCain off the political map, Ben has not been back... Poor Benclunker.
    Please.

McCain was more than likely doomed regardless of Obama. I mean, it's not like Obama actually had to work that hard to beat him.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  2.    #22  
    And so my reply to your original post.

In your reply to my reply, you seemed to suggest my reply off or something... so you now confirm my reply was warranted.

I don't care either way... Dems or Reps... next week there will be some other politician to talk about.

Weak political news seems to keep this OT forum going...

Where is Ben? Since obama wiped McCain off the political map, Ben has not been back... Poor Benclunker.
    I confirm only that your response to my original post is STILL off base, still unwarranted, and actually a bit odd.

Funny. Your posts are often based upon weak political news. Its interesting how anything negative toward democrats you feel is weak, but stop the press if there`s any dirty laundry on the repubs!!!

Pretty transparent I have to say.

Someone will probably wipe Obama clean off the map should he muck up as well. Is a big merry go round.
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/09/2008 at 09:49 PM.
    @theog - governor hairdo has been in the media here weekly for several years now with regards to scandals and such. If you had read/listened to local Chicago media like those of us who live here (and I'm not implying anything, just saying) you would come to a realization that the man is severly arrogant and out of touch. He has been investigated for this "pay to play" corruption for years and yet has the nerve to pull this kind of stuff. Anyone with a touch of common sense might have stopped to think 'maybe I ought to be careful'. Anyway, that's another local's take on it. I for one hope they throw him in the same cell as George Ryan. They can write their memoirs together..."If I Was Corrupt"

@Barye - if you go to cbs2 chicago you can watch the full video of the press conference with US Attorney Fitzgerald. Among other things, his biggest reason for going ahead with charges now was that if the appointment was made but was corrupt and tainted, it would have been much harder to clean up than if they stopped it now. There were also some innocent people's jobs at stake, as well as allegedly blego was trying to pull $8 mil in funding he had promised to Children's Memorial but was contingent on a top exec giving $50k to the reelection fund.
    An off topic post - why does every discussion around here have to turn into an arguement of 'well yours is more corrupt than mine' Can't we just agree that all politicians are corrupt, some are just smart enough to have plausible deniability, and leave it at that?

Then we could get back to solving all the worlds problems ;-)
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by john_v View Post
    An off topic post - why does every discussion around here have to turn into an arguement of 'well yours is more corrupt than mine' Can't we just agree that all politicians are corrupt, some are just smart enough to have plausible deniability, and leave it at that?

EXACTLY. Thank you, John. At least some have gotten the point of this thread.
    mmmm...thats not really where I was going. I saw this thread as an opportunity to discuss something that affects me locally...then as is typical fashion the shouting starts. Like I said, let's just leave it unsaid that all politicians are corrupt and then maybe these threads could stay civil. Might even get more people participating...could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    EXACTLY. Thank you, John. At least some have gotten the point of this thread.
    in the immortal words of my much missed Senator Ted Stevens:

"NO" !!!#!@!!!!!!
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    in the immortal words of my much missed Senator Ted Stevens:

"NO" !!!#!@!!!!!!
    Barye, I`d have thought you`d have understood the meaning of this thread without resorting to low end tactics like that. Im surprised.

Well, maybe not.

How does the saying go? The closer you get to the doghouse, the louder the dogs bark? LOL.

My my, quite defensive here, arent we? Gotta love it.

Yes Stevens` actions were reprehensible, and he has been dealt what was coming to him. So should be the case for all politicians who play this game at the expense of those who voted for them in good faith.
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/09/2008 at 10:16 PM.
  9.    #29  
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28148126

Illinois governor's words 'beyond greed'
    Recordings stun political analysts with profanity, threats and demands..

The words on the recording sound as if they were uttered by a mob boss. Instead, the feds say, it is the governor of Illinois speaking.

"I've got this thing and it's (expletive) golden, and I'm just not giving it up for (expletive) nothing. I'm not gonna do it," Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich says in a conversation intercepted by the FBI.

... In excerpts released by prosecutors, Blagojevich snarls profanities, makes threats and demands and allegedly concocts a rich variety of schemes for profiting from his appointment of a new senator....

What is mystifying is why Blagojevich spoke so openly and so brazenly. He knew the feds were looking into his administration for the past three years for alleged hiring fraud; one of his top fundraisers has been convicted, another is awaiting trial. He even warned some associates not to use the phone because "everybody's listening ... You hear me?"

"I think this is beyond ordinary sanity. We're talking about something clinical here. This is beyond logic. It's beyond greed as we know it."

He also scoffed at the notion that Blagojevich had any chance of obtaining a post in Obama's Cabinet.

'It is lunacy'
    "I consider myself a student of corruption, but I've never heard of this kind of thing going on," Rose said. "The way he's talking about it is lunacy. ... `Maybe they'll make me secretary of health and human services.' Who's going to hire this guy?"

One of the most intriguing aspects of the story was that Blagojevich was elected as Mr. Clean, promising to clean up state government, succeeding Republican Gov. George Ryan, now behind bars for corruption.

Blagojevich "had everything going for him," Green said. "He could have been the Serbian Obama. He was young, handsome, articulate."

In court papers, prosecutors said Blagojevich also tried to strong-arm political contributions in exchange for jobs and contracts, and tried to use his authority to get editorial writers from the Chicago Tribune who criticized him fired."

Incredible vulgarity of character.
  10.    #30  
    mmmm...thats not really where I was going. I saw this thread as an opportunity to discuss something that affects me locally...then as is typical fashion the shouting starts. Like I said, let's just leave it unsaid that all politicians are corrupt and then maybe these threads could stay civil. Might even get more people participating...could be fun.
    When I posted in caps, i was emphasizing my sentiment, not shouting at anybody. This thread is an attempt to look at both parties with a critical eye, and I have already stated that underhanded practices ARE a rampant problem on both sides. Others seem to be intent on shouting and I am responding to some of those remarks. By all means lets keep things civil, and I do welcome more people to participate as it would be fun.
    My understanding of why they moved so quickly, was to prevent him from following thru on his plans to sell a senate seat, and appoint a new Senator. From what I have heard, I would expect many more charges to be brought against him. These two charges were brought, from what I understand, just for the purpose of stopping him from doing any more illegal activity.

Damn shame that crooked politicians make it damn near impossible for honest politicians to do their job ( Dems & Reps included)
    RJuhl
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    My understanding of why they moved so quickly, was to prevent him from following thru on his plans to sell a senate seat, and appoint a new Senator. From what I have heard, I would expect many more charges to be brought against him. These two charges were brought, from what I understand, just for the purpose of stopping him from doing any more illegal activity.

Damn shame that crooked politicians make it damn near impossible for honest politicians to do their job ( Dems & Reps included)
    Agreed. Stories like these make people turn a jaundiced eye toward even honest or upstanding politicians. The Stevens' case was absurd as well. Then we have Foley, who was charged with the position of protecting children from predators. He was then exposed as an offender.

There are so many instances of abuse of power it is just mindboggling.
    I did not miss anything ... from far away.

Nice way to attempt to make your point again... passive aggressive, I like it.

Let me guess: he has no plans on turning over his seat? Do I need to be there to guess that as well. Bet I can guess that without reading anyplace. His attitude of "do anything" would lead me to believe he would not give up his position anyway.... Even if found guilty, I'd bet he would run for governor again. lol
    Then if you saw that arrogant interview, you should have some idea of why the prosecutor's office may have been ticked off. One thing you don't do is challenge the Feds publicly. Everyone who does gets busted big time, I've noticed.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Theog, I got tired of the temper tantrums. Then my wife's condition took a turn for the worse. I think it is just great that you are still calling people names.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Theog, I got tired of the temper tantrums. Then my wife's condition took a turn for the worse. I think it is just great that you are still calling people names.
    welcome back --

(I hope things get better)
    BARYR, I`d have thought you`d have understood the meaning of this thread without resorting to low end tactics like that. Im surprised.

Well, maybe not.

How does the saying go? The closer you get to the doghouse, the louder the dogs bark? LOL.

My my, quite defensive here, arent we? Gotta love it.

Yes Stevens` actions were reprehensible, and he has been dealt what was coming to him. So should be the case for all politicians who play this game at the expense of those who voted for them in good faith.
    its not comparable -- the level of Repugnican corruption, scandal, venality, and outright lying is OFF THE CHARTS in comparison to Dems -- that's why I get perturbed at these false syllogisms: all politician's are corrupt.

They are not -- many (most of the Dems, specifically (and some GOPers too) -- are noble (at least in their own minds).

Like or loathe Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama -- no one seriously would accuse them of being motivated by venality or corruption.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    He's been watched by the government for a LONG time. That's well known around here. He was likely the high public official Rezko mentioned. He also taunted the investigators yesterday in a TV interview, he knew he was being taped or at least suspected. It might have been personal on the investigators' end if they saw that interview, which is certainly possible.
    I've subsequently seen that news conference, and heard the rationale for why they moved as quickly as they did to indict him.

IF the charges are true, then their haste is understandable.

No one can want a Senator appointed with a taint of corruption, no matter who it would be.

I had not heard any of these rumblings of Blagojevich's corruption before -- so I presumed that this investigation had unsavory origins -- like the Siegelman scandal in which Rove and the Whitehouse contrived to put an innocent former Governor in jail, because they did not want to face him in an election.

On the surface the charges don't seem to merit the 24hr cable coverage and universal aversion that its gotten. I am now neutral, perhaps slightly appalled -- awaiting a trial where he can put up his arguments in a fair forum where his guilt or innocence can be dicovered without the cable gosssip and innuendo that we now have from grandstanding prosecutors.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I am now neutral, perhaps slightly appalled -- awaiting a trial where he can put up his arguments in a fair forum where his guilt or innocence can be dicovered without the cable gosssip and innuendo that we now have from grandstanding prosecutors.
    Neutral? You don't seem to take that stance when the accused has an "R" in front of their name. Rod Blagojevich should be thrilled that he has the almighty, third-person-using, monkey in his corner.

Fair forum? You didn't seem so eager for that when it was Karl Rove, Larry Craig, Ted Stevens (not that I am in any way shape or form defending them; simply disturbed by your blatant partisanship that you flame others for showing).

Grandstanding prosecutors? I suppose they should have just quietly stood by and let poor afflicted Rod do whatever he felt like. After all, if it wasn't for our current awful president, Rod wouldn't have to worry about securing million dollar jobs for himself and his wife.

Had the guy simply done what he was elected to do (that is, take care of the people of the state of Illinois), he wouldn't have to be worried about the golden parachute or getting money to stash away, becasue the people of Illinois would continue to elect him.

I said once, I'll repeat it, and then walk away from the OT forum because it's clear that no one around here is allowed to express an opinion different from the almighty monkey or all-knowing, name calling theog. All politicians are corrupt, maybe at the end of the day that's not their total motivation, but all are corrupt. If you looked hard enough, you could find dirt on any of them. Some are just smart enough to have other people do their dirty work, and not get caught on tape (plausible deniability).

I thought this thread would be a place to discuss something happening in my state, where I live, that affects me, but once again, another thread had to be turned into two people showing everyone how partisan they can be, and what kind of clever name-calling they can come up with (bclunker, mcshame, mcsame, gov. sillypuddy, but just don't use the messiah's middle name of Hussein).

Vinnie
    This is why I said earlier, it's amazing that much of this is coming from people who don't even live here! Some don't seem to have the backstory on Blagojevich that the locals do.

I wasn't surprised he finally got arrested because we locals know he was being looked at for a while, and not just for this incident. They knew he was going to slip up one of these days. Heck, even HE knew he was being taped!! Though it's still a wonder to me WHY he would taunt investigators.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    You are clearly just being defensive.
    You are clearly just being obtuse.
    Look, face the facts. Both parties are riddled with corruption. It is naive to think otherwise.
    Where did I ever state otherwise?
    Its not putting the stink on the other party, its simply pointing out truths.
    It would be the height of naivete for one to not notice that the threads you start on such matters have a decided slant against a certain party. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
    You have to admit there are big problems in your party as well.
    There certainly are, but I'd bet that you haven't a clue as to what those problems are since you undoubtedly haven't a clue as to which party I belong. Our candidate for President this year was a complete disaster.
    Why is that so difficult for you?
    It's certainly easier for me than reading comprehension appears to be for you. I even gave you two more current examples that you could have used rather than Nonc Ed (hint: they were even from 'both sides of the aisle').
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast