1.    #1  
    With a stroke of luck, I just picked up a brand new PS3 from Circuit City (CC)for $40!!!! I had an old DVD / Tivo unit that went bad with a CC 4 yr service plan. When I took it in it had 4 days remaining on the plan!! Since it was so old they just game me original market value for $359.

I wanted a Bluray player so I settled for a PS3 for my son as well. I am going to give it to him for Christmas.

My question are......

1) What accessories are must haves? (I already have the Bluray remote control)

2) And what games are really good for younger players around 8 yrs old (not violent, bloody, etc...)?

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    With a stroke of luck, I just picked up a brand new PS3 from Circuit City (CC)for $40!!!! I had an old DVD / Tivo unit that went bad with a CC 4 yr service plan. When I took it in it had 4 days remaining on the plan!! Since it was so old they just game me original market value for $359.

I wanted a Bluray player so I settled for a PS3 for my son as well. I am going to give it to him for Christmas.

My question are......
    1) What accessories are must haves? (I already have the Bluray remote control)

2) And what games are really good for younger players around 8 yrs old (not violent, bloody, etc...)?
    Thanks for your help!
    I have one for the same reason...but I paid a lot more than $40 (you scoundrel).

The remote is the main thing. Maybe a place to put it during a movie that will mask the fan noise. It's a great BD player. I just got a Sony S550 though since its quiet and reasonably fast so its good to know I won't get more than $40 for my PS3 when I sell it on EBay. (just kidding...I see that you got some trade-in money)

As far as games, I'm not a gamer at all. Too old and grumpy for that. But my sister has young kids and I got them Rock Band and some game with the Disney movie "Cars" theme. That said, I don't think the PS3 has a ton of games for young kids from what I can tell. The Wii seems to have a lot more. But like you, I bought it as a BD player a while back and it has served in this role admirably.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Mod. We have the Wii (which personally I wonder if me or my son has more fun with it). I agree that majority of the games for certainly teenager and adult oriented....but I am sure there are good kid ones too. I will certainly take a look Rock Band and all the Disney titles.

But I know if my son ever found out that I had an opportunity to get a PS3 and passed it up for just a BR player, when the PS3 could do that too, I think that I would have been demoted a notch or too in my ranking as Dad if I did a household poll of all demographics under the age of 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Thanks Mod. We have the Wii (which personally I wonder if me or my son has more fun with it). I agree that majority of the games for certainly teenager and adult oriented....but I am sure there are good kid ones too. I will certainly take a look Rock Band and all the Disney titles.

But I know if my son ever found out that I had an opportunity to get a PS3 and passed it up for just a BR player, when the PS3 could do that too, I think that I would have been demoted a notch or too in my ranking as Dad if I did a household poll of all demographics under the age of 10.
    You got a great deal. Enjoy the view. The picture quality will really spoil you. Between BD and Fios TV HD I cannot stand to watch anything less.
  5.    #5  
    I have to wait to Christmas to hook it up!!!!!

I did pick up the latest Harry Potter and Half Life games used for under $15 each. The Half Life game side is for me (big Half Life fan) while the included Portal game is one that we both can play.

We both played Star Wars Force Unleashed all the way through on the Wii (Great game BTW). But the same game for the PS3, even though has the same story line, has totally different levels as they were developed by two independent teams from different companies. I saw it demo'ed in the store and it looks fantastic....I can't wait myself to play that one on our 60 inch!

Through work, I can pick up BR movies at a steal of a price. So we will have a nice jump start of about 15 movies for the price of about 4 movies at full retail value.

Has anyone tried the Eye on the PS3?

Are the headphones worth it?
    Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga...

I have a 7 yo and he cant put it down...

Burnout Paradise... Careful its additciting
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    In Starwars the characters fall apart rather than bleed.

In Burnout Paradise the crashes are so BIG that itll amaze you. There arent any drivers so no blood!
    There is no spoon.
    As far as accessories... You will want a second controller if you plan on playing with him and you may want to either buy some really long usb to usb mini cables or buy a charging station for them...

If you have a Hi-Def TV you MUST get an HDMI cable. Dont get suckered into buying the Sony ones either. If you need a good cheap source for cables let me know.
    There is no spoon.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks! I want to the HDMI cables for sure. Let me know if you know of a good deal.
    http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Ive talked to the guy that runs this place, called him... I asked him whats the diff between these cables and say MonsterCables HDMI cables that go for upwards of $100? His answer which makes complete sense to me is... there isnt any....

Reason being is the signals are different with digital vs analog. With digital its on or off. So if the cables are thicker or thinner it doesnt matter it just has to get the signal to the other end of the cable vs analog it has to worry about impedence etc etc.

Help yourself.

Hope this helps.
    There is no spoon.
  11.    #11  
    WOW!!!!! That site is phenomenal!!! To think of all the HUNDREDS of dollars wasted. I know from past professional relationships with major retail chains that cables and such are often times the main source of profit for the stores. I have seen their cost sheets. For example a $25 USB cable only cost the store around $3, which includes the cable, packaging, and shipping it to the store.

THANK YOU for sharing!!!
    monoprice is a great resource -- I have used them for a while for many things (compare their pricing on patch cables, cat 5 stuff etc...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Yep they rock.

Speaker wire is one conversation but the digital cables.... its a scam.

Glad to share.

Enjoy your PS3!!!!
    There is no spoon.
    almost forgot...

If youre ok with song lyrics... Guitar Hero is amazing.
    There is no spoon.