Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You, sir, are clearly a heathen. I will pray for you.
    I get that a lot (in the context which I think you meant)--I've just never been a fan of beer. However, slide a Long Island my way and I'm a happy fellow!
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  2.    #162  
    No. I leave that to Jim Jones. We serve beer. It's proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    I like they way you think...err...preach. I'm in! As long as there are no confessionals and we get to celebrate Festivus.
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    I get that a lot (in the context which I think you meant)--I've just never been a fan of beer. However, slide a Long Island my way and I'm a happy fellow!
    If you have never tried anything not made by the big 2 (AnheuserBev/SABMillerCoors), I can perhaps forgive you this transgression. Your penance shall be to try a doppelbock along the lines of Spaten Optimator or Paulaner Salvator. While they are not the holiest of holies, they are relatively easy to find in most locales in the US (unless you live in one of the evil 3.2 states).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    I like they way you think...err...preach. I'm in! As long as there are no confessionals and we get to celebrate Festivus.
    There are no confessionals, but I do sell indulgences to fund the chapel (read: brewhouse). We do not officially observe Festivus (I had to look that one up...missed the Seinfeld boat), but we do not prohibit or sanction others from celebrating it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    If you have never tried anything not made by the big 2 (AnheuserBev/SABMillerCoors), I can perhaps forgive you this transgression. Your penance shall be to try a doppelbock along the lines of Spaten Optimator or Paulaner Salvator. While they are not the holiest of holies, they are relatively easy to find in most locales in the US (unless you live in one of the evil 3.2 states).
    Never heard of those; I've some friends that speak highly of German beer. I've been meaning to try it, but just haven't got around to it.

Gays have a right!

Connecticut rules!!!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Good job citizens of CA.
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    Good job citizens of CA.
    Are you being sarcastic or serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    Even worse for proponents of TotM conspiracy theories, Madison (as I aptly noted) had little concern for regional TotM and insisted that checks and balances needed to be in place via a Federal government and quintessentially, regional issues would work themselves out.[/I]:
    Lol you missed the point. Madison is becoming less and less relevant. His views on governance of the US have been eroding for 150 years and he is pretty much a footnote. That's your frustration.

We all know that gay marriage will be a right in a generation (except perhaps in Iran).
    I owe moderateinny a response from his (it is ‘his’ right?) question some time ago, but got sidetracked by things.

Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Great. So what do you recommend? I started this thread to discuss how the gay community might move ahead given their recent setback. Since you support civil unions, what should be done to improve their chances of success?

1: Stop being bullies and denounce those who are.

Incidents like the one at El Coyote restaurant where they legally harassed Marjorie Christoffersen serve absolutely no purpose. If you are upset how a private individual spends their own money, on their own time, devoid any association of the business in which you exchanged money for services (food and hospitality) then simply call and let them know why you won’t be back. Harassing a business for what an employee does on their own time completely apart from company business is nonsense and would be just as wrong if the Mormons went to restaurants they liked and boycotted because "their" money went to stop Prop 8.

Incidents where E-harmony was sued into submission (they simply caved in, no actual legal action) because they did not offer a service to a particular demographic by chance (which is different than outright refusing to give service) is also bully behavior. Additionally, if the gay community is so concerned with equality, why aren’t they being consistent and demanding that sites that cater to gay interests also cater to heterosexual interests (gayromeo.com, gay.com)?

2: Stop with the demand for marriage. As has already been exhaustively stated, there can be a civil union and a marriage, both being equal in every way with the only exception of title. It is likely that the same group who rallied against marriage would likely rally in favor of civil unions. Given the only difference between a civil union and a marriage is the term, if gay persons continue to reject it, then it is clear what they are really looking for is a societal affirmation of their life and not rights (as so often stated).

3: Quite the paralleling with the civil rights movement. One, it’s degrading to blacks (whether they realize it or not) as the gay movement has hardly suffered when compared to blacks. Additionally, what also makes the parallel a farce is the fact that blacks were not only enslaved, but targeted specifically with actions to ostracize, harass and otherwise subject them to degradation.

4: Stop imposing stereotypes upon their own community with nonsense such as, gay pride, gay day, gay cruises, bumper stickers, emblems, etc. The point isn’t to stop them all together; however, toning them down will help remove the natural and unwanted end result. Wearing shirts, pins and other paraphernalia denoting your sexuality only serves to cast you as the gay waiter, worker, boss, etc. I am not suggesting they jump back in the closet—so to speak—I am however, suggesting that you are what you present yourself as. One should always be proud of who they are; however, one should also realize that they are more than just a gay person and indeed their sexuality (gay or straight) should compliment them as a whole as opposed to painting the entire picture (even if that was not the intention).

I think if the gay community took these actions they would find that people would accept them much more readily and with less the hassle. Additionally, I think the law would be wide open in their favor as they would simply garner more supporters.

Sorry for the delay in response.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789