Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It is election day, and we don't know who the next president will be yet.....but that hopefully will be answered in the next few hours.

Either way...If you could command the President to do 3 things in his first 18 months, what you command him to do?
    #1 in my [selfish] book: Abolish No Child Left Behind and allow public schools to return to educating our youth.
  3.    #3  
    I think these would be cool to see happen:

1) Independent investigation of corrupt congress members with the provision to fire any found corrupt. This would be interesting. And probably require an emergency new election for 3/4 of the open seats that would probably result. .....or at least say that from Jan 1st onward there will be an ongoing independent corruption oversight of congress / senate with swift and severe consequences.

2) Make it illegal to tag on totally unrelated pork spending items onto bills. Also make it mandatory that if any pork billing is added to any bill that it be publicly stated in its entirety 90 days before the bill is voted on (instead of the night before) and included explicit details (instead of not telling anyone) of who attached the item to the bill, how much is it is, what percentages of the money is being doled out to who, and what a lobby agency supported it to be placed. These then must be listed on a website for additional spending added to bills.

3) Address lobbyist in our political system. Make it illegal for any lobbyist or any company associated with an lobbyist to make any donations, fringe benefits, etc... at all to any political party or politician. Make it illegal for any Corporation from giving any money or benefits of any kind to any politicians or political party (could this be extended to all senior executives?).
    Try the current administration on war crimes.
    Make the economy a priority... listen to experts on the matter and devise a smart approach...

work on alternative fuels.... next president won't do this in 8 years, but we can get the ball rolling.

work with other countries overseas... for example, get some help to cuba (ease restrictions). Allow others to run their own countries...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    1: Lower taxes . . . for everyone.
    2: Since taxes are lowered, they will have less money and as such, they should now figure out how to work with what they have by cutting unnecessary spending.

If the President can accomplish those two items, I'll be impressed and have additions to this list. If they won't do this (which they won't), we are really wasting our time with this question.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    The GREAT LEVELING!

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    work on alternative fuels.... next president won't do this in 8 years, but we can get the ball rolling.
    This is huge with me too. A Manhatten Project go for the gusto approach could prove interesting. In the mean time use our current technologies to their fullest...drill, wind, clean coal, nuke tech, ect.... .
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 11/04/2008 at 11:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post

1) Independent investigation of corrupt congress members with the provision to fire any found corrupt. This would be interesting. And probably require an emergency new election for 3/4 of the open seats that would probably result. .....or at least say that from Jan 1st onward there will be an ongoing independent corruption oversight of congress / senate with swift and severe consequences.

2) Make it illegal to tag on totally unrelated pork spending items onto bills. Also make it mandatory that if any pork billing is added to any bill that it be publicly stated in its entirety 90 days before the bill is voted on (instead of the night before) and included explicit details (instead of not telling anyone) of who attached the item to the bill, how much is it is, what percentages of the money is being doled out to who, and what a lobby agency supported it to be placed. These then must be listed on a website for additional spending added to bills.

3) Address lobbyist in our political system. Make it illegal for any lobbyist or any company associated with an lobbyist to make any donations, fringe benefits, etc... at all to any political party or politician. Make it illegal for any Corporation from giving any money or benefits of any kind to any politicians or political party (could this be extended to all senior executives?).

Well said my friend.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Address lobbyist in our political system. Make it illegal for any lobbyist or any company associated with an lobbyist to make any donations, fringe benefits, etc... at all to any political party or politician. Make it illegal for any Corporation from giving any money or benefits of any kind to any politicians or political party (could this be extended to all senior executives?).
    99% of the people who lobby are not required by any law to register as lobbyists.

As far as corporations you would have to overturn the entire body of legal findings defining a corporations rights
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Sign the Keene Act.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Just a couple of comments: no one can "fire" a member of congress. Voters can refuse to re-elect one, but even sending a senator or representative to jail doesn't automatically remove him/her from the position. Adam Clayton Powell was once re-elected to Congress while he was in jail. Ted Stevens has been convicted of a crime, but still holds his seat and is running for re-election.

Only the Congress can impose limitations on itself (re: Pork Barrel spending and lobbyists gifts), not the President. Research 'separation of powers."
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Bipartisan is the operative word for my three things:

1. Appoint a bipartisan cabinet who will command respect from both sides of the aisle.

2. Establish a bipartisan "Alternative Fuels Commission" to put forth a bill that establishes the framework for a "Manhattan Project" (as Hobbes aptly describes it). This commission will be tasked not only with spending tax payers dollars to invest in alternative fuels, but also how to bring private sector money into the process as well.

3. Establish a bipartisan Economic Recovery Commission that draws upon our nation's brightest business leaders, Dems, Repubs, and economists to put forth definitive ideas - perhaps even legislation - to examine regulatory problems, prioritize a debt reduction plan, etc.

4. And because item one may be a given, I'll add that he needs to establish a bipartisan American Defense Commission. This team of former Generals, foriegn policy experts, Dems, and Repubs will be tasked with basically doing a SWOT analysis of our foreign policy. There should be an actionable plan to move our country forward with concrete plans to better defend our nation at home as well as how we conduct and conclude our military operations abroad.

All in all, each of these commissions would need to move swiftly - 90-120 days and have very specific deliverables that American's can rally around as our new "common cause".

What he should NOT do: make the mistake of Bill Clinton and immediately begin discussing and/passing controversial "social agenda" items such as gay marriage, gays in the military, stem cell, child health care, etc. legislation. I think American's know this stuff may have to wait a year or two before he can move on them. Sadly, I'm hearing rumors that Pelosi is planning to do just that...so President Obama's ability to reign her in will be tested soon.
    Last edited by moderateinny; 11/05/2008 at 11:22 AM.

The President doesn't have the power to do any of those. I'm not sure if I should bother to make a list, though. I think Harry Browne's 2000 list of what he would do in his first 100 days was pretty much my ideal for any President, but Obama would not be likely to do that.

I suppose if I was going to come up with a list for Pres. Obama, though, it would be:
    1) Appoint cabinet members who represent competence and moderate views in their field.
    2) Veto anything that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid send his way that was not on his list of campaign promises if those promises have not yet been met.

That being said, I'm not optimistic about the next two years, but it has nothing to do with Obama. It has more to do with Pelosi and Reid. I think the most likely scenario is that the next two years will be like the first two Clinton years.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Sign the Keene Act.
    Luckily I just did some re-reading, so I actually caught the reference!

Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Bipartisan is the operative word for my three things:

1. Appoint a bipartisan cabinet who will command respect from both sides of the aisle.

2. Establish a bipartisan "Alternative Fuels Commission" to put forth a bill that establishes the framework for a "Manhattan Project" (as Hobbes aptly describes it). This commission will be tasked not only with spending tax payers dollars to invest in alternative fuels, but also how to bring private sector money into the process as well.

3. Establish a bipartisan Economic Recovery Commission that draws upon our nation's brightest business leaders, Dems, Repubs, and economists to put forth definitive ideas - perhaps even legislation - to examine regulatory problems, prioritize a debt reduction plan, etc.

4. And because item one may be a given, I'll add that he needs to establish a bipartisan American Defense Commission. This team of former Generals, foriegn policy experts, Dems, and Repubs will be tasked with basically doing a SWOT analysis of our foreign policy. There should be an actionable plan to move our country forward with concrete plans to better defend our nation at home as well as how we conduct and conclude our military operations abroad.

All in all, each of these commissions would need to move swiftly - 90-120 days and have very specific deliverables that American's can rally around as our new "common cause".

What he should NOT do: make the mistake of Bill Clinton and immediately begin discussing and/passing controversial "social agenda" items such as gay marriage, gays in the military, stem cell, child health care, etc. legislation. I think American's know this stuff may have to wait a year or two before he can move on them. Sadly, I'm hearing rumors that Pelosi is planning to do just that...so President Obama's ability to reign her in will be tested soon.
    I agree with virtually all of what you've said above. Of the "social agenda" items, I can only possibly disagree with the health care issue, because it was such a cornerstone of his campaign.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I agree with virtually all of what you've said above. Of the "social agenda" items, I can only possibly disagree with the health care issue, because it was such a cornerstone of his campaign.
    Timing is everything. He needs to find common ground with moderate Republicans and all of the three I mentioned do that. Healthcare will be a monumental battle and he'll need a "coalition of the willing" of his very own to get anything substantive passed. He cannot pass anything significant in health care his first year in office IMO. He can possibly take the momentum from successful initiatives like the ones I described above and use it to make one heck of a start at getting something done by year two - before mid-term elections.

The bottom line is - don't do anything overly polarizing out of the starting blocks. Or said another way - don't listen to Nancy and Harry.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Just a couple of comments: no one can "fire" a member of congress. Voters can refuse to re-elect one, but even sending a senator or representative to jail doesn't automatically remove him/her from the position. Adam Clayton Powell was once re-elected to Congress while he was in jail. Ted Stevens has been convicted of a crime, but still holds his seat and is running for re-election.
    I know...just pie in the sky wishful thinking. But they can be removed from committees and all other extra responsibilities beyond simply representing their District! These are appointments that can be revoked. If Congress is ever going to get above a 9% approval rating, they must hold themselves accountable. Obama promised to change the way Washington works when asked about Washington corruption and he can now do a great deal in bringing this and keeping this in the publics (and the media's) eye.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Only the Congress can impose limitations on itself (re: Pork Barrel spending and lobbyists gifts), not the President. Research 'separation of powers."
    I totally understand this fact. But the President can bring a LOT of attention to this and have a great influence of Congress enacting these with gaining public support and demand. Obama I feel is in a perfect position in over half a century to actually do this. He has overwhelming public support. He is being accredited to being one of the main reasons Congress gained so many seats. If I remember correctly Obama said he was interested in addressing the corruption of Washington. He was elected on the platform of Change, and this could easily fall into the category of campaign promise fulfillment.

In fact the last two points were where not even my ideas but actually taken from promises from Obama, promises that may be taken the next step, but still should be taken. Obama actually promised to only take public funds for the campaign if McCain did to limit the corruption of lobbyists. He (and McCain as a result) changed his mind after the money started coming in. He also said "The first thing we have to do is cut off special interests' ability to influence campaigns with their money, and increase the power of regular people."... he can now fulfill the initial reasoning of his promise and address the serious issues and consequences that lobbyists raise. My point is that Lobbyists does not have to be federal registered title, but defined as an act. Then eliminate the act.

Obama also pledged for an open government, specifically when talking about earmarks.
    My point is that Lobbyists does not have to be federal registered title, but defined as an act. Then eliminate the act..
    No. this is not really the issue. My point was 99% of what you or any rational person would consider lobbying is OUTSIDE the act.

Are you going to define every public relations and law firm, and anyone who works or is associated with any of them, is a family member, a subcontractor, firm not only in Washington but in any state in the union that has any contact with a legislator as a lobbyist? How about corporate and professional trade associations? the chamber of commerce? unions? Non profit think tanks of every stripe which have a lot of impact on policy and all of which take funds from intersted groups? Is AIPAC a lobby? and if they are is Hadassah? Is the Polish American War veterans? Sons of Italy? Is the Knights of Columbus a lobby?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    1) Appoint cabinet members who represent competence and moderate views in their field.
    2) Veto anything that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid send his way that was not on his list of campaign promises if those promises have not yet been met.
    We have just been through eight years of total incompetence at the cabinet level. Anything would be an improvement.

Did any Republican suggest the same for Bush ? (A: no.)
    Hehehe
    As promised Im making my 6 month visit
    Unfortunately the past great debate wind of change threads have been locked or deleted.
    Anyway I will pay another visit in 6 month lol
    Last edited by slingbox; 08/27/2009 at 11:44 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast