1.    #1  
    It's hot here in MN, hot enough to kill Korey Stringer after a day of practicing in 110 heat-index weather. He had a core temp of 108.

Drink plenty of fluids, folks.

Here's the story w/ video.

Hopefully he wasn't hopped-up on anything...
    This is a sad story, mainly because it was completely preventable.

For starters, they shouldn't have been practicing outdoors in full gear, with a 110-120 heat index. And Korey (and team staff) should have been trained to properly recognize heat related injuries.

Heat's a dangerous thing...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    It is sad to see a great player like that die, especially when death could have been preventable. Coaches, at least the Jacksonville Jaguars do but I assume that other teams have the same options, could have changed the practice schedule to play without pads or moved practice indoors.

I echo dietrichbohn comment to make sure you drink plenty of fluids. And make sure thats not the alcoholic or caffinated kind.
    "The 335-pound lineman developed symptoms of heat stroke, including weakness and rapid breathing, following the practice held in temperatures in the low 90s and high humidity."

Good Christ. i could care less about pro sports and have never heard of this man or this team before but it sure makes me wonder when someone--presumably a professional--forces a 335 lb man to run around in temperatures like that. pathetic.

mc.
    He should be fired. Unless he is a major asset. I'm a sports fan, I know a team wouldn't let go of an asset. But I see a new policy rolling around:

Make sure players don't get heat-stroke .
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    More reaons to dislike football (I myself HATE football - don't ask )
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    This is a real tragedy. Football's a tough sport - that's why it's popular - but you hate to see someone die this way (or any way, for that matter).

I can't quite figure out what the deal is. I don't know too much about the specifics - the news reports I've seen all say "in the 90s" for example, which isn't terribly helpful - big difference between 91 and 99 degrees.

That said, there isn't anything I've heard that makes this terribly unusual. I was a ballboy for the New York Giants years ago, during Bill Parcels first year as head coach - probably when I was Miradu's age.

The guys regularly practiced in full pads in temperature in the 90s and high humidity. One of my jobs was to make sure the players got enough water and/or Gatorade - we had these air pressurized water dispensers that made great squirt cannons, sort of a giant precusor to today's super squirters.

One of the details cited by the stories I've read is that the player in question puked several times. Big deal - it's pretty common. Hell, I did the same thing when I played High School ball, and I was lazy.

I'm speculating here, but my guess is one or a combination of three things happened - (1) they guy was too gung ho and didn't quit when he should have; and/or (2) the training staff wasn't paying enough attention, and/or (3) he had some underlying pathology that made him more vulnerable.

The one thing that concerns me is that a college player (Florida, In think) died under similar circumstances recently too.
    was watching ESPN ... and saw Randy Moss just bawling ... and all the other teammates crying ...

yeah, i wrote that ...