Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1.    #1  
    While I wouldn't have picked Wamu, I did predict this year Mervyns, Circuit City and Linen and things.

    My next guess would be Applebee's, Marie Calendars Restaurants (not frozen), or Outback.Oh and definitely Fresh and Green or Green and now or whatever that stupid store is. Maybe Bally's fitness.
  2. #2  
    Borders...after Circuit City goes.
  3. Scott_L's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #3  
    I don't know how Borders maintains music and video sales. Their prices are ridiculous. Because Borders is close/convenient, I went there to get two CDs for my wife and they were $16.99 and $19.99. Even with my 20% off coupon that was not going to happen. I went a little further down the road to Best Buy and get them for $11.98 and $13.99. Granted, the $13.99 was a sale price, but not from $19.99. Come on! $11 difference for 2 CDs?! What the .....? I wonder what I could have got them for if I went a couple more miles to Walmart. I don't buy many CDs anymore, but that was a shocker!

    I do like them as a book store though. I've spent many hours among their shelves and in their chairs. I can't do that with Amazon.com.
  4. #4  
    I don't buy cds anymore... too much against them... cracked cds, lost...

    Better to buy online, create a backup and then burn to CD Rom... you can get a 100 cds for like $14 (sometimes cheaper).

    $19 is a lot... the artist need to be paid, but that is a lot of cash for a CD.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I don't buy cds anymore... too much against them... cracked cds, lost...

    Better to buy online [...]
    Buy where? I still like CDs for the reason that it's the best bitrate. I archive to FLAC, and have a 'backup', and then can easily transcode to whatever mobile format I need with no penalty. Can't do that with most lossy formats available to purchase online.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    While I wouldn't have picked Wamu, I did predict this year Mervyns, Circuit City and Linen and things.

    My next guess would be Applebee's, Marie Calendars Restaurants (not frozen), or Outback.Oh and definitely Fresh and Green or Green and now or whatever that stupid store is. Maybe Bally's fitness.
    WAMU had been a walking corpse for almost a year. (up to their hair follicles in bad mortgages).

    There will be an unimaginable number of bankruptcies and business failures the next 3-5 years.

    This because of the unforeseen interconnectedness of our economy.

    The housing/mortgage crash, the securitization/derivative bubble -- and its mismananged aftermath -- has produced a credit freeze.

    I'm worried for the future -- and though I'm certain McShame cannot repair things, I'm not entirely confident that Obama can either.


    8-21-07

    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    In October of 1929, a school teacher in Kansas probably read headlines in her newspaper telling of this spectacular crash on Wall Street.

    She probably shook her head in bemusement at those crazy easterners, their games, and their well earned come uppance.

    Owning no stocks, and living in a prosperous community a million miles from Wall street, she was confident that her world was entirely unconnected to those goings on back east.

    Yet 2 years later, her community devastated by plunging tax receipts, she's laid off.

    We’re all much more interconnected than we realize -- really bad monetary dislocations have the power to cause indirect devastation far from their originating source.

    I don’t know if the mortgage meltdown is one of those situations, but it genuinely has the potential to be one...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Buy where? I still like CDs for the reason that it's the best bitrate. I archive to FLAC, and have a 'backup', and then can easily transcode to whatever mobile format I need with no penalty. Can't do that with most lossy formats available to purchase online.
    I need to try FLAC. I burned all my CDs using both Apple's and WMA lossless codecs. But I swear they still don't sound quite the same to me as the CD - probably more to do with the quality of the DACs in the iPod. Nonetheless, I may send all my CDs out to one of those services that burn your collection for you and have them use FLAC - I don't have time to reburn 1500 CDs.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Buy where?
    Plenty of places to buy... pick your poison.

    Far as the way music sounds, I don't have an issue with the music I purchase online. Guess it has to do with tastes or what someone "believes." Not my issue... we could argue sound of 8-track, R 2 R, CD, tape, vinyl, and online downloads all night long.... All of it sounds the same to me....

    You sound like my uncle... R 2 R is much better! Whatever... Carry on.... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  9. #9  
    Amazon has good prices on CDs. Plus they have a lot of stuff not found in stores anymore. I still buy CDs if it's something I really want, so I can rip the format I want. You can't always get high bit rates from these online digital places.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Plenty of places to buy... pick your poison.
    Perhaps you're missing the thrust of the question? My point is that different online stores have different standards of bitrates and encoding formats. Buying online from one place may not be as good a deal as getting a CD (online or otherwise).
    Far as the way music sounds, I don't have an issue with the music I purchase online. Guess it has to do with tastes or what someone "believes."
    It has nothing to do with taste or belief really. It has more to do with systems and listening environment flexibility and cost/benefit. If my option is to buy a 'CD' from X Online Music Store at 128Kbps MP3 vs. buying a real CD and archiving to FLAC, the CD is a no brainer. I get far more benefit from the CD since I can transcode to anything with no loss. If I get a 128Kbps MP3, it may sound fine on earbuds while commuting, but may not sound so good on my home or car system.
    You sound like my uncle... R 2 R is much better! Whatever... Carry on.... lol
    Reel to reel does have its proponents, and I understand the arguments for it, but that's nothing to do with anything.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    I need to try FLAC. I burned all my CDs using both Apple's and WMA lossless codecs. But I swear they still don't sound quite the same to me as the CD - probably more to do with the quality of the DACs in the iPod.
    Well, the iPod doesn't support FLAC, so you're out of luck there anyway. That being said, the DACs in the iPods is certainly not the best in the world. The Rio Karma was truly the Audiophile's DAP, but it's hard to beat Apple in the DAP space. That further being said, ALAC and WMA Lossless have both been generally inferior in double-blind testing.
    Nonetheless, I may send all my CDs out to one of those services that burn your collection for you and have them use FLAC - I don't have time to reburn 1500 CDs.
    Know the feeling. I went through that process with mine a while back and picked FLAC simply because it was open and I could transcode later if needed.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  12.    #12  
    Honestly the sound on Ipod Iphones is not all that read hot. I have media center, ipods and Treo (and Creative Vision)
    I love the Treo and Creative Vision because of the broader music choices (I love subscription music) but I want good sound quality. Sometimes I want a shuffle, sometimes I want my Treo, somethimes I want my Iphone (for music not calls)

    Media Center is a must too.

    I need to encode all my music again, what would you, my friends, reccommend?

    I have a Drobo so space is not an issue.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Perhaps you're missing the thrust of the question? My point is that different online stores have different standards of bitrates and encoding formats. Buying online from one place may not be as good a deal as getting a CD (online or otherwise).
    I understand what you are saying... I don't agree with you. Well, from where I've purchased music online, I've not had a problem... is there a potential to have problems? I'd guess... but even as you say, "buying online from one place may not be as good...." Not that it matters.

    It has nothing to do with taste or belief really.
    Yes, it does.... taste like beef.

    It has more to do with systems and listening environment flexibility and cost/benefit.
    Not even you believe that....

    I get far more benefit from the CD since I can transcode to anything with no loss.
    Just because you "believe" you get "far more benefit" what makes you think everyone does? Again, I don't get anything from it.... again (hate having to repeat myself) I can't tell the difference. And I'd bet the majority can't tell the difference.

    As I said.... all of it sounds the same, IMO. Not to hard to understand that... we simply don't agree... gets no simpler than that....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  14. #14  
    Actually I can tell the difference in sound quality, at least if it's MP3. If it's not 256kbps and up on an MP3, there IS a difference and I really hate to get something online for less than that bit rate. Although 192kbps is acceptable if you want to store more music on your player and computer.

    I also notice that AAC is superior to MP3. I encoded the same WAVs into both and yes there's a difference.

    Maybe on a casual basis when people really aren't paying too much attention, does it all sound the same. Until you start actually listening. Toby is likely correct in that lossless sounds better. I just don't have the space yet, I need a 500GB and up hard drive for lossless files, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Actually I can tell the difference in sound quality, at least if it's MP3. If it's not 256kbps and up on an MP3, there IS a difference and I really hate to get something online for less than that bit rate. Although 192kbps is acceptable if you want to store more music on your player and computer.

    I also notice that AAC is superior to MP3. I encoded the same WAVs into both and yes there's a difference.

    Maybe on a casual basis when people really aren't paying too much attention, does it all sound the same. Until you start actually listening. Toby is likely correct in that lossless sounds better. I just don't have the space yet, I need a 500GB and up hard drive for lossless files, LOL!

    Amazon is at 256... but I have some at 128... I can't tell the difference... and I've never had anyone in my car say, "That must be recorded below 192!" lol

    But my argument is not on who is right or wrong... no right or wrong here since if I can't tell the difference, I simply can't tell the difference. And since amazon comes in at 256, maybe that is a major reason why I can't tell a difference in my online music. Toby and I don't agree... I'm not saying he is wrong in his argument... outside of stating that my music sounds better to me... no, it does not... sounds the same to me.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I understand what you are saying...
    I'm not convinced because you seem to think we're in a disagreement.
    Well, from where I've purchased music online, I've not had a problem... is there a potential to have problems? I'd guess... but even as you say, "buying online from one place may not be as good...." Not that it matters.
    It doesn't matter, because it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.
    Not even you believe that....
    Yes, I do. I even explained why. You seem to rather make this into some sort of audiophile snobbery and bring up 8-tracks and reel to reel players.
    Just because you "believe" you get "far more benefit" what makes you think everyone does?
    LOL...I never said everyone does. I know I get 'far more benefit'. I buy one CD, and can then listen to the CD, in 320Kbps MP3, 192Kbps MP3, or even Q1 Ogg depending on which device I have with me, or where I'm at.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Amazon is at 256... but I have some at 128... I can't tell the difference... and I've never had anyone in my car say, "That must be recorded below 192!" lol
    And here's where we seem to be losing something. My point has nothing to do with anyone else. It has to do with me.
    But my argument is not on who is right or wrong... no right or wrong here since if I can't tell the difference, I simply can't tell the difference. And since amazon comes in at 256, maybe that is a major reason why I can't tell a difference in my online music.
    I'm sure it definitely plays a part. I'm sure that 192Kbps or better is plenty 'good enough' for most environments and people.
    Toby and I don't agree... I'm not saying he is wrong in his argument... outside of stating that my music sounds better to me... no, it does not... sounds the same to me.
    I never said your music sounds better to you any particular way. I have no idea where you're getting that from.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Well, the iPod doesn't support FLAC, so you're out of luck there anyway. That being said, the DACs in the iPods is certainly not the best in the world. The Rio Karma was truly the Audiophile's DAP, but it's hard to beat Apple in the DAP space. That further being said, ALAC and WMA Lossless have both been generally inferior in double-blind testing.
    Yea, I know. I'd like to have a "base format" to work from though stored on a server. Then whether I'm using an iPod, Zune, Creative Labs, etc. just convert the songs as needed when loading them. But have the lossless music on the server also be connected to an AVR or capable media player that can render the music without converting. So if FLAC can be imported by other devices (and converted at the time to AAC, WMA, etc.) yet played back natively, then it might do the trick.

    Know the feeling. I went through that process with mine a while back and picked FLAC simply because it was open and I could transcode later if needed.
    Sounds like you've been there done that already and have figured out what I need to do. The only other thing I've considered is just having raw .wav files ripped to some mega-terabyte NAS. Dunno. I hate compressed music - my iPod is entirely Apple lossless. I cannot hear much of a difference unless I connect my iPod to my stereo. But then again, I've been listening to 24/96 stuff on it for years so all of this compressed music - including standard 16/44 CDs - can sound like crap to me. I want my turntable back and all my old albums!!!!
  19. #19  
    128 MP3s are pitiful sounding, are you kidding Theog? LOL!

    The music sounds richer and has more detail at higher bit rates, at least for MP3.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #20  
    My understanding is that anything above 160 is typically not discernable by the human ear.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions