Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I noticed the difference right away between a 128 and 256, of the same song. Maybe while working out or driving, you won't notice much since you have to split concentration, but listening in a quiet environment, you DO notice.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    My understanding is that anything above 160 is typically not discernable by the human ear.
    I think this myth is propagated by the likes of Apple so that you keep downloading their crappy 128k songs from iTunes. But I think this largely depends on the quality of the DACs in the portable device, speaker/headphone driver, etc. In a car environment the noise floor is already very high - which is why those crappy FM transmitters accessories are still popular - most people can't hear much difference in the car. I think those FM transmitters barely hit 50dB SNR...so throwing 128 or 160kbps song at it won't matter much.

But with a decent set of headphones and the right device, the difference is quite discernible. And on my stereo at home I'd challenge anyone to tell me they can't hear the difference between a Diana Krall song recorded on 16/44 CD vs. a 24/96 CD. The difference is jawdropping IMO.

Frankly I love the portable media player revolution. But I also miss the days of visiting the local hi-fi shop, whereby the guys working there had a clue and everybody was trying to get the very best sound they could. CDs came along and everyone thought that "digital" was the way to go - including me. Then years later many of us old audiophile types began to realize that LPs had better dynamic range and CDs weren't so great after all. Fast forward to the crappy over-compressed crap these kids listen to these days and its pretty depressing. I want my turntable back!
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Sounds like you've been there done that already and have figured out what I need to do. The only other thing I've considered is just having raw .wav files ripped to some mega-terabyte NAS.
    FLAC gives you that quality with some space savings. Also, most of the higher end media devices (read: Squeezebox) support it.
    Dunno. I hate compressed music - my iPod is entirely Apple lossless. I cannot hear much of a difference unless I connect my iPod to my stereo.
    It depends greatly on environment and genre for me. I'm OK with 320Kbps for most things. In the truck, I can even bear with 192Kbps since the environment is already noisy.
    But then again, I've been listening to 24/96 stuff on it for years so all of this compressed music - including standard 16/44 CDs - can sound like crap to me. I want my turntable back and all my old albums!!!!
    LOL...well, I'm not ready to make that leap yet. CD is a decent compromise between cost and quality at the moment. Although the 24/96 gear is getting more reasonable, the biggest drawback is the back catalog conversion.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Palm maybe the next, look at their cash flow, very negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    People have said that for years... guess one day it will stick.

I've not taken a close look at Palm's financial reports in a while... a long while.

Bright spots for Palm is they are selling product and they still have a strong brand.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    sadly, you could well be right.

But just about any enterprise -- whether it be a neighborhood dry cleaner or a phone accessory website -- is vulnerable if they are under capitalized when business contracts.

Under normal conditions companies can borrow or use their line of credit to preserve themselves during a temporary slow down.

What makes the current situation so different and so much more scary, is the utter absence of normal credit.

(odd that this thread has so little interest in the OP question)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    And here's where we seem to be losing something. My point has nothing to do with anyone else. It has to do with me.
    Absolutely perfect. I see no way to trump that statement.

I am also sensitive to my music playback quality. Using most device supplied ear buds I think 128 will suffice, but I prefer a minimum of 192 when using my Bose cans at work. If I had a means to listen through one of my home stereo systems I doubt I'd be happy with less than 256.

My kids just want lots of tunes on their players and they use what I'll call "Fashion" buds (in various colors for $10-$15). They default to 128 and I've never heard a complaint.

BTW, does anyone else think perhaps we have drifted slightly OT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    BTW, does anyone else think perhaps we have drifted slightly OT?
    The three posts above yours were attempts to get back on topic.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Doh! That's what I get for replying mid thread and not reading to the end first!

Palm has circled slightly above the bottom of the bowl for years, but when we add the current economic situation into the mix I'm afraid they may be in real trouble this time. I'm hoping someone that wants to turn their business profitable again will snap them up - yet maintain (or migrate back to the old) Zen of Palm.
    How long before Circuit City actually ADMITS it's near bankruptcy? Many can see it but them, it seems. They just ran some new ads, making us believe all is well. Gizmodo apparently hates them so much, they report on every single failure.

Even Palm is doing better than Circuit City right now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How long before Circuit City actually ADMITS it's near bankruptcy? Many can see it but them, it seems. They just ran some new ads, making us believe all is well. Gizmodo apparently hates them so much, they report on every single failure.

they have to try and last until xmas.

Almost of all profit for every retailer comes between Thanksgiving and Xmas. Even their creditors will want them to tough it out until Dec 26th.

But they are in a no win situation. The bankrupcy of a large retailer is one of all manufacturer's most terrifying fears -- as such they are understandably reluctant to provide sick retailers with merchandise unless its paid for upfront.

And banks don't want to lend to anyone -- least of all a company that everyone knows is in trouble. Even good companies in the current environment, companies with decent balance sheets, are having an impossible time getting affordable credit. So how do they fill their shelves ??

without products to sell, they cannot generate sales, nor can they produce profits.

Customers in the know will also be cautious about buying gifts that might not be returnable. What's more Circuit City reportedly has a fairly unhappy and inexperienced work force -- leftovers from a glorious management experiment where they fired all their experienced, higher waged, salespeople. (making it a less than ideal shopping experience).

And because of junior's depression, both Walmart and Best Buy will be competing fiercely for business themselves (making it even harder for Circuit City).

The death of a Circuit City or other large chain will inevitably push many marginal shopping malls also into bankrupcy.

Too many stores, and too many malls have been developed during the last 20 years -- and a shakeout will shutter maybe a 1/4 to a 1/3 of them.

As the dominos of bankrupcy, unemployment, factories being shut down, home values lost impacts the country, unemployment will probably exceed 12%.

(Have a nice day ... )
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/25/2008 at 04:02 AM.
    The bad thing is we need a Circuit City type store to compete against Best Buy. At least in this area. When CC folds, BB will rule and do whatever the it wants.

First CompUSA, now CC. No competition is left, except maybe for Walmart, but you have to drive far from here to get to one.

I do shop a lot at Best Buy, but lack of competition is bad IMO.

Even if/when CC fails, prices are unlikely in the near term to be much affected.

Online provides good competition, what you'll most miss is the instant gratification, the oppurtunity to touch and play with potential toys, or browsing to evaluate stuff before you get it cheaper from NewEgg.

Ironically the greatest danger right now is not inflation (of prices), but deflation.

Its what we have been experiencing for months now.

And its the very thing which junior and his brain dead Fed could not conceptualize last summer and fall when I shouted at them to slash interest rates -- and they instead obsessed about inflation...

I think many were not happy when cc fired the sales or support people who made the most money... or, in other words, cc fired the sales or support people who had the most knowledge.

CC been going down for a while... considering BestBuy, I'm surprised CC is still around.
    Best Buy again, SIGH! I like them a lot but do I really want them as the only major electronics store in the area? I've seen what happens when a competitor who makes it out ahead gets too happy. Customers get screwed.

Honestly sometimes BB isn't that much better than CC. I tried using tech support once, they were so dumb that I fixed the problem myself by doing a little searching. Hopefully that changed with the Geek Squad, but I don't know.

Best Buy again, SIGH! I like them a lot but do I really want them as the only major electronics store in the area? I've seen what happens when a competitor who makes it out ahead gets too happy. Customers get screwed.

Honestly sometimes BB isn't that much better than CC. I tried using tech support once, they were so dumb that I fixed the problem myself by doing a little searching. Hopefully that changed with the Geek Squad, but I don't know.
    lol... geek squad. I would not let them in my house to fix a computer issue if THEY paid me.

Seriously, I've heard disaster stories... last one was last week... guy called, BB charged something like $200 to setup a wireless connection in his house.... still does not work properly. Of course they blame the equipment or something else...

I know, I know... the guy could have set this up himself... he works two jobs and does not have time to mess with computers... he hates computers anyway... he needs them for his jobs though. lol

BB GS is not so hot... I've heard other stories as well... on the flip, I've also heard they are expensive but do a good job (yes, heard that a couple of times as well).

I agree with you about the competitor issue... competition in any area tends to bring out the best in companies... and thus, us consumers get better "stuff." Generally, that is... not always....
    Borders...after Circuit City goes.
    Victim #1 is on their way out. 155 stores to be closed tomorrow.

http://consumerist.com/5074161/updat...ing-155-stores

Not a huge fan of CC, but this will hurt consumers IMO once they are finally gone.
    Victim #1 is on their way out. 155 stores to be closed tomorrow.

http://consumerist.com/5074161/updat...ing-155-stores

Not a huge fan of CC, but this will hurt consumers IMO once they are finally gone.
    they're attempting to struggle on with their remaining stores -- at least until after xmas, when a final accounting may come to pass (depending how awful the holiday retail season was)

(the 155 stores closed represent a 17% reduction in their workforce according to pcworld.com)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    they're attempting to struggle on with their remaining stores -- at least until after xmas, when a final accounting may come to pass (depending how awful the holiday retail season was)

(the 155 stores closed represent a 17% reduction in their workforce according to pcworld.com)
    Yup. They're in the "death spiral" now. The end is near.

I hope they pull off a quick sale or a miraculous turnaround...but its not looking good.
    You can find whatever circuit city sold for less with five minutes searching on the internet 90% of the time. Best buy had several advantages. they are bigger and economies of scale matter since these outlets often negotiate directly with makers for price and credit terms, ie the bigger boys can get lower wholesale prices and they can get arrangements where they may not even pay until the item sells. Also the advantage of store over internet is heavy items like large TV's and home appliances. Bestbuy has been selling washers, dryers, refrigerators, air conditioning units.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast