1.    #1  
    I just installed Windows ME and I have been saddled with the dreaded log in screen, which asks for your user name and password before the Windows desktop comes up. I used to know how to be rid of this unneeded security screen but can't remember how now. Does anyone remember?
    Change your password to nothing (blank). Goto Control Panel, Passwords. Enter your current password and then a blank one for the New and Confirm (or whatever they're called ) boxes. The next login should be the last one that asks you for a password.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I haven't seen WinME but I believe it's the same login screen as Windows 95/98, here is what to do.

Go ahead and login, then search the Windows directory for a file(s) with the extension of *.pwl. Rename those files to some other extension such as *.bad or *.old. Then the next time you login you will be prompted for a name and password. Just enter a name with no password. You may have to confirm the password (again put nothing). From now on, you won't be presented with the login dialog.

BTW... the pwl files hold any passwords associated with that login name. So if you had password protected your Outlook file then you'll have to re-enter the password. Keep this in mind if you rename these files.

I believe another way to do this task is to go into the control panel and there should be an option for passwords or Users. In there you should be able to change the password from whatever it is, to nothing. This way you won't lose any other passwords associated with the login password file.

Good Luck!
    And make sure your network settings list "windows logon."
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    And make sure your network settings list "windows logon."
    If you have Microsoft Networking installed, then this is the most important part. In the Network options, change the Primary Network Logon to "Windows Logon" from "Client for Microsoft Networks."

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    I just installed Windows ME
    My deepest sympathy..

I installed ME for a few non technical friends and family members, I have since vowed never again, what a horror show... Make sure all your gizmos still work (i.e. scanners, printers, etc..) Windows ME is notorious for killing scanners especially older HP ones.. It cost one friend of mine $90 from HP to get the updated drivers on CD, you COULD NOT down load them from the net!!!!!
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    You can use TweakUI to automatically log you into Microsoft networking; perhaps it will work for the Windows logon as well.
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    Originally posted by Galley_SimRacer
    You can use TweakUI to automatically log you into Microsoft networking; perhaps it will work for the Windows logon as well.
    Shouldn't be necessary with windows logon.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 08/01/2001 at 07:17 PM.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.