Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.wpbf.com/print/17741511/detail.html

The rich irony of this story is that he took over for Mark Foley, the GOP scumbag that was chasing page boys.
    Despicable. One affair was not enough for that poseur. He gives Dems a bad name.
    Why? The primary questions in my mind would be... Did he shirk his responsibilities to his constituents in having these affairs? Did he use public funds to facilitate these affairs that would not have otherwise been spent? Personally, I'm a little nonplussed that the governor of my state uses a high-speed state police helicopter to travel to the northern part of the state to testify at various churches. OTOH, they generally don't allow him to travel without protection, and it's plausible that the overtime and other costs involved in a motorcade might be just as expensive.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    Despicable. One affair was not enough for that poseur. He gives Dems a bad name.
    well from what I've heard, those affairs were age appropriate, consensual and private (in addition to being hypocritical and sleazy).

I would have thought that all this made him the perfect Representative for his district, but apparently he's expected to lose ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Why? The primary questions in my mind would be... Did he shirk his responsibilities to his constituents in having these affairs? Did he use public funds to facilitate these affairs that would not have otherwise been spent?
    Not sure. I'm saying that he is an ***** and that I found it ironic that he replaced Mark Foley, removed for sex scandals, only to go into office and carry out his own sex scandals. Stupid.

That said, if there is no indication of use of tax payer funds or wrong doing with respect to his his duties, then they should merely let the tax payers decide if he should hold his seat.

It never ceases to amaze me how truly dumb politicans are when it comes to affairs, sex scandals, etc. - from both sides of the isle. I guess they think they've been bestowed extra powers from god and/or feel invincible or something. Dunno. I just get sick of hearing about this crap as it allows political opponents to divert attention away from potentially far more onerous policies/positions they'll advance if they can use these personal failures to their advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    Too late for that.

Did he shirk his responsibilities to his constituents in having these affairs?
    Depends on how you look at it. I would think so because the platform he ran on was based on a certain moral expectation. His campaign slogan was:

"Restoring America’s Values Begins at Home"

Which only bears significance if he used the concept of home-based values to aid in getting elected. Basically, he may have garnered votes based on something he's not.

Did he use public funds to facilitate these affairs that would not have otherwise been spent?
    Maybe. It's being investigated at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    well from what I've heard, those affairs were age appropriate, consensual and private (in addition to being hypocritical and sleazy).
    Not so private when one of your mistresses just so happens to also be a former staff member, who might have been given a job as hush money.

Quote Originally Posted by andonemorething View Post
    The only thing I see as idiotic is that you have to be a saint to qualify for public approval if you're in public office.
    Qualifying as a saint and doing what millions of people do every day (remain faithful to your significant other), and rightfully expect of you are two entirely different things.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    Depends on how you look at it.
    I look at it from the perspective that not having an affair is not a responsibility of a politician.
    I would think so because the platform he ran on was based on a certain moral expectation. His campaign slogan was:

"Restoring America’s Values Begins at Home"

Which only bears significance if he used the concept of home-based values to aid in getting elected. Basically, he may have garnered votes based on something he's not.
    That's not a part of the responsibilities of his office, though.
    Maybe. It's being investigated at the moment.
    Then it seems that judgments may be a bit premature at this point.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    To an extent I agree--formally it's not. However, did he not use that to garner votes? To otherwise be elected over someone else?

It's thin I realize, but as far as I'm concerned, he used that to get the position and as such has informally made that part of his responsibility.

9.    #9  
    I look at it from the perspective that not having an affair is not a responsibility of a politician.

Agreed, it's not a responsibility. Although, it could be argued that the people that have elected him to represent them have a right to question his character and have a right to feel disenfranchised in that he misled them about his family-man character. But they need to do this at the voting booth.

Then it seems that judgments may be a bit premature at this point.
    I agree - it is too premature to spend money investigating this. Let the voters decide if this is someone they want representing them. Whether or not it is something worthy of deciding the race in his district is up to the electorate on election day.

I should add, I don't know how well he has performed his day-to-day duties. He may well have been an excellent representative and if I lived there I may not care about his affairs so long as he is performing his duties otherwise.

...Not so private when one of your mistresses just so happens to also be a former staff member, who might have been given a job as hush money.
    In general I too am uncomfortable when a politician takes advantage of their official position to reward or punish someone for whom they have personal interest.

I'm sure you were therefore similarly outraged by how Palin and her 1st Dude used her Guv position to try to punish her ex-brother-in-law.
    In general I too am uncomfortable when a politician takes advantage of their official position to reward or punish someone for whom they have personal interest.

I'm sure you were therefore similarly outraged by how Palin and her 1st Dude used her Guv position to try to punish her ex-brother-in-law.
    You are more than welcome to try your best to explain how the Palin debacle and this one are equivalent (not how they have a few similarities).

We say, "Let the voter's decide..." how hypocritical the statement is. The previous statements from some about not excusing it and from one or 2 others to just let it go. One way or the other, just as it was 1 way when the republican messed up.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    We say, "Let the voter's decide..." how hypocritical the statement is. The previous statements from some about not excusing it and from one or 2 others to just let it go. One way or the other, just as it was 1 way when the republican messed up.
    Jesus Ben...I turn off the block to see if you had anything of substance to add - and as usual, you don't. Back to the dungeon for you.
    It's thin I realize, but as far as I'm concerned, he used that to get the position and as such has informally made that part of his responsibility.
    The problem becomes that it gets entrenched into the public consciousness that unrealistic expectations become qualifiers for office. Man is not perfect.
    The problem becomes that it gets entrenched into the public consciousness that unrealistic expectations become qualifiers for office. Man is not perfect.
    • Not cheating on your wife is an unrealistic expectation (particularly in light of that being your platform for getting the job)?
    • Not hiring your mistress to keep her quiet is an unrealistic expectation (if this indeed happened)?

WE have a feel good society where anything goes, except the expectation of morality. Mod, please turn the block back on.
    You are more than welcome to try your best to explain how the Palin debacle and this one are equivalent (not how they have a few similarities).
    Gosh DL --BARYE was just tryin' to be agreeable !

you had made reference to the possibility that his employing his mistress as a staffer in his congressional office was evidence of an abuse of power.

I was just pointing out that you were of course similarly outraged that The Governor and her 1st Dude abused the powers of her office to attempt to fire her ex brother-in-law -- and when they were blocked, instead fired that department head.
    you had made reference to the possibility that his employing his mistress as a staffer in his congressional office was evidence of an abuse of power.
    Actually no, I didn't. I referenced the employement as two things:

a) relinquishing this event from a private matter (which you stated previously)
    b) a misuse of taxpayer money

I said nothing of an abuse of power (not to suggest it wasn't). Seriously, this whole but-look-your-candidate-schtick doesn't work with me. You called this matter private and downplayed it and got called out. That in no way makes room for you to find a lesser example on "my side" to confront me with and only serves to show you are willing to see the world through an obviously skewed perception.

I already admitted that Palin technically abused her power. I say technically as even the report stated that at best there exists her lack of action more so than her action.

In comparison, we have Palin with a barely gotcha and Mahoney with a strong gotcha.

I was just pointing out that you were of course similarly outraged that The Governor and her 1st Dude abused the powers of her office to attempt to fire her ex brother-in-law -- and when they were blocked, instead fired that department head.
    Firing the dept head was well within Palin's legal limits--even if it were primarily over the ex brother-in-law. Then again, even the report that came out stated that the firing of the dept head was primarily for other reasons.

19.    #19  
    • Not cheating on your wife is an unrealistic expectation (particularly in light of that being your platform for getting the job)?
    • Not hiring your mistress to keep her quiet is an unrealistic expectation (if this indeed happened)?
    I actually agree with you DL. He ran on his family values so I have to hold him accountable just as I would a Republican who does such things.

I'm not clear on the hiring of the mistress yet, but clearly if he did and it can be proven as such, he certainly used his office to hide personal shortcomings.

Either way - he was an arrogant ***** that got caught. He'll lose the election - and he has nobody to blame but himself. Next topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Next topic.
    You mean next arrogant ***** (Rep or Dem) who manages to get caught? Jeez, it seems like one after the other these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast