Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    a more pc question would be: how much pounds would you like to shed?

but that doesn't quite have the same effect, and pc's stupid anyway, so, ARE YOU FAT?

i ... er ... would like to shed about 20 pounds.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    I just lost 145 pounds.....I dumped my girlfriend! Joking. That's a classic.

Nope, I'm not fat. In fact I manage my wieght very strictly. No beer during weekdays, or else I could end up with a beer gut. For beverages, I only drink diet soda, occasionally I will drink Coke. And I try to stay away from sweets and fatty foods. I'm a hell of a cook, so I can whip together some killer dishes. You should try my Jumbalaya.

A disciplined lifestyle builds character. Of course, when I'm 45..married..3 kids...mortgage payments up the wazoo...stuck behind a desk..I'll probably let myself go and up looking like John Goodman or Drew Carey.
    Originally posted by namja

i ... er ... would like to shed about 20 pounds.
    Easy to do. Go on a 1200 calorie per day diet. I shed 20 lbs this way when diagnosed as Type II diabetic. Controlled by diet and exercise. Main thing was portion control. Instead of two pork chops and a potato for dinner, one chop and half a potato. Also started taking lunch to work. Only problem was hungry all the time the first few weeks. Ate carrots and celery when hungry.
    All the diets and pills are a waste of time and money. They also stress out your metabolic system.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    I only drink diet soda...
    That's a hell of a lot worse for you than regular. Sugar usually gets burned off right away, but Aspartame (NutriSweet, etc.) gets chemically turned into formaldehyde at room temp - and they sure as hell don't ship 'em in refrigerated trucks.

Originally posted by BudPritchard
    Go on a 1200 calorie per day diet.
    This is worse than Aspartame. As soon as you go back to a normal diet (which is necessary for the average American's caloric expenditure), your body, hormonally thinking that it's in a period of famine, stores everything as fat. If you're serious about loosing weight and want to do so healthily, one needs to seriously reduce the amount of fat they take in (home cooked meals) and increase metabolism (30 min. brisk walk a day). It's difficult (not physically - rather taking the time to do it), and you're not going to loose 20 lbs in an hour and a half, but it's guaranteed to work. This has the advantage of not shedding too much weight (so, if genetically you are supposed to weigh 250, weighing less is almost as bad as weighing more). My mom wanted to lose 35lbs and ended up loosing 55. She's kept up the "diet" (odd word to describe it, considering she eats more than I do - she just eats a hell of a lot healthier than I) for a couple of years now, to the point where eating overly greasy food nauseates her. She used to count fat and caloric intake (keep fat calories below 30% of total, but above 15%), but she doesn't need to anymore, as it's a habit (not to mention her metabolism is more active than mine, so if she decided she wanted to eat deep-fat-fried lard balls for a week, she'd gain a lot less than I).

As for me, I'm 6'0 and 175lbs. My metabolism is still high and I'm very active. My eating habits could be better, but my body keeps burning off whatever I put in it.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Lose weight. Yeah, right. I'm 6'2 and I weigh 155 on a good day (although I don't think I dip below 150 anymore). I think that "dieting" is a bad idea. Instead, we should just adjust our lifestyles. If you weigh too much, it's because there's something wrong with your life habits. The solution isn't to temporarily change them, but to permanently change them. And while I don't know which of the new diets works, I do know that eating good stuff (c'mon, we all know what that is) and excercising, does.
    That's a hell of a lot worse for you than regular. Sugar usually gets burned off right away, but Aspartame (NutriSweet, etc.) gets chemically turned into formaldehyde at room temp - and they sure as hell don't ship 'em in refrigerated trucks.
    I don't necessarily agree with the opinion on Aspartame. I think that most people that are moving over to a healthier way of eating and that need to loose weight need artificial sweeteners and oil replacements. Fat and sugar can be as addictive to some as nicotine or alcahol and I believe that if there are FDA approved aids to help cut the edge off of those cravings, they should be used. I have been using Aspartame for years now, even before changing my eating habits, and have had no problems keeping in mind that results differ from one person to another. If Aspartame turns to formaldehyde, maybe it good for preserving your innards and the reason that my wife can't get rid of me

I definitely agree that there is no rocket science to dieting (i.e. eating healthy). I guess I need to follow my own advice about Aspartame and apply it to dieting. If something helps you, by all means, do it. Although I think it is a good time to roll out diet books and plans. I have purchased 4 now and have spent in the neighborhood of $200 on them...I am using a plan called Body for Life by Bill Phillips, which basically maps out healthy foods, cuts out fat and sugar, and provides an exercise program that you can pick and choose from. Again no big surprises, moderate meal portions and stay active.

Anyway, I'm off the soap box. Thanks for listening and I hope all of my fellow weight challenged Visor Central companions take the simple steps necessary to be healthy. Eat less more often and get active (walk).
    I hear an echo.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by markleetoo

I don't necessarily agree with the opinion on Aspartame. I think that most people that are moving over to a healthier way of eating and that need to loose weight need artificial sweeteners and oil replacements. Fat and sugar can be as addictive to some as nicotine or alcahol and I believe that if there are FDA approved aids to help cut the edge off of those cravings, they should be used. I have been using Aspartame for years now, even before changing my eating habits, and have had no problems keeping in mind that results differ from one person to another. If Aspartame turns to formaldehyde, maybe it good for preserving your innards and the reason that my wife can't get rid of me

I definitely agree that there is no rocket science to dieting (i.e. eating healthy). I guess I need to follow my own advice about Aspartame and apply it to dieting. If something helps you, by all means, do it. Although I think it is a good time to roll out diet books and plans. I have purchased 4 now and have spent in the neighborhood of $200 on them...I am using a plan called Body for Life by Bill Phillips, which basically maps out healthy foods, cuts out fat and sugar, and provides an exercise program that you can pick and choose from. Again no big surprises, moderate meal portions and stay active.

Anyway, I'm off the soap box. Thanks for listening and I hope all of my fellow weight challenged Visor Central companions take the simple steps necessary to be healthy. Eat less more often and get active (walk).
    I have really mixed feelings about Aspartame. It concerns me, but I still drink diet drinks that are loaded with it. Kind of like a Cellular Phone, I know it could hurt me, but I keep right on talking. Just really depends on the person.

As for Bill Phillips and Body for Life, I think that is a great program. The best part is, it is not a Diet. I have been following the overall concept for around 03 years. I used to weigh 200 pounds with 0 muscle. I got down to 165 and felt the best ever. I have recently adjusted my eating habits and am now up to 185. The program really teaches you about how to control your body and what your body needs. How to gain muscle and lose fat.

Just stay away from pills and crash diets. Look for long term lifestyle change. It may take longer to reach your goal, but once you do, it will stay with you.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by markleetoo
    I don't necessarily agree with the opinion on Aspartame. I think that most people that are moving over to a healthier way of eating and that need to loose weight need artificial sweeteners and oil replacements.
    Hardly. These replacements are new and untested when compared to the sugar and fat that have been staple parts of humanity's diet since we we were scratching ourselves and swinging from trees.
    Fat and sugar can be as addictive to some as nicotine or alcahol and I believe that if there are FDA approved aids to help cut the edge off of those cravings, they should be used.
    They're not addictive, they are an absolute necessity to a healthy diet. If only we could find a replacement for water for all those people with a water dependency. Imagine how much I would weigh if I could just kick this water addiction (~52.5 lbs).
    I have been using Aspartame for years now, even before changing my eating habits, and have had no problems keeping in mind that results differ from one person to another.
    For many, many people, Aspartame leads to headaches and I can't remember what all else. The pisser is, most people attribute those symptoms to stress.
    If Aspartame turns to formaldehyde, maybe it good for preserving your innards and the reason that my wife can't get rid of me
    It'll preserve you nicely after it kills you. Ok, that was a bit melodramatic, but it is a poison, and it has been proven (repeatedly) that the chemical progression occurs. It is diluted, and the body is very adept at handling subtances that shouldn't be there, but that doesn't change the fact that you're better off with sugar - which the body needs anyway.

Eat less more often and get active (walk).
    Exactly.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 07/31/2001 at 11:17 AM.
    -Joshua
    Back when Aspartame came out in the early 80's in diet soda's I worked for a Pepsi distributor. We were under strict regulations to remove all product that had a date code of more than 90 days. And the product was also not supposed to exceed 120 degrees in temperature, ever. Now I can't say that they haven't improved it but I'd still be leary.

I now have several salespeople under my supervision that all have been diagnosed with diabetes. They have all be told by their doctors to not drink aspartame laced diet sodas because it has a tendency to raise their blood sugar more than regular soda. So they all tried to stop drinking soda.

Personally, I have headed the above and don't drink any soda and have also gotten off of caffeine and with no other changes I have dropped 20 pounds in about 3 months. I also sleep better - go to bed at 11:00PM and wake at 5:30AM like clock work. The only thing I'm drinking is water (minimum of 64 ounces a day) and some low sugar fruit juices such as tomato.

I feel better overall and my system seems to be more regular and I don't have to have that caffeine hit in the mornings anymore. I'm just as alert as ever.

Another 20 lbs and I'll be a happy camper and at 46 it takes a whole lot more effort to lose weight than when I was 26 so get a jump start now.

I'd say this: aspartame, caffeine and several other foreign substances are not part of the natural food chain and probably anything in that category - there hasn't been enough testing done to determine if it's healthy or not!
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    These replacements are new and untested when compared to the sugar and fat that have been staple parts of humanity's diet since we we were scratching ourselves and swinging from trees.
    I think one problem is we over-generalize issues. ie 'fat' is bad for you. This just isn't true. Some sugars and some fats are very bad for you. Some are not.

simple sugar is actually quite harmless...basically simple energy. As long as you plan on using that energy during the day, there is nothing wrong with digesting it.

As for the regular vs. diet soda issue. It doesn't matter...they are both bad for you. Why drink soda to start with? It's amazingly simple to weed yourself off of soda.

But, hey, we all have our vices (I can't pass up brownies or fries...)

And, yea, I'm about 30 lbs overweight. But exercising a LOT more than I used to...and feeling much better...

P.S....if anyone REALLY wants to loose weight, join the army...basic training does wonders...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I'd say this: aspartame, caffeine and several other foreign substances are not part of the natural food chain
    Actually, Caffeine is a natural substance.

Not that it makes it any better for you.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer

Actually, Caffeine is a natural substance.

Not that it makes it any better for you.
    Yes but it has to be extracted from a substance and then introduced into a soda or other drink or food. Would you eat raw coffee beans? Not likely. They are bitter for a reason.

I'll clarify and say naturally occurring in the food/drink that you consume without human intervention. Tea and coffee are the natural occurences of caffeine but both of them are not truly natural in the state that we consume them in. Coffee beans and Tea leaves are not typically eaten raw. Alcohol is also not natural in most cases.

Perhaps we should just avoid all known stimulants and such ....but then my stock in Starbucks won't be worth anything. Forget the above post - keep drinking that coffee. My kid's college education is at stake.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  14.    #14  
    QUIT HIJACKING MY THREAD!!!

I like that line from Weird Al's "I'm Fat!" parody:
    When I go to the movies, I take up seven rows because I'm fat! I'm fat!

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Originally posted by namja
    QUIT HIJACKING MY THREAD!!!
    Jeez! Calm down! I'll hijack your damn thread when and where I feel like it.

BTW, I'll be stopping in your neck of the woods on the 28th of August. It's just going to be a 3 hour lay-over on my way to see my dad. Where's a good place to get a bite to eat?
    -Joshua
    I hear an echo.
    Yes you did because I like what you were saying. I'm also a bit passionate about the subject of living healthier because I need to drop another 60 + lbs and haven't really been able to find way to motivate and keep myself on track. I should clarify a couple of things that I said. With regards to Aspartame, I use small amounts of it, a cup of yogurt and can of diet soda per day with no problems. I did mention that that it will effect people differently. I only meant in saying, "use what ever works", because for me, if I can see how and if something works, I will likely stick with it. And as far as how it tastes, I'm sure many people will agree that it nothing that you want to consume much of anyway, at least that's how I feel and have managed to drop 26 lbs since I started my diet and exercise a little over a month ago.

Also regarding my comment about fat and sugar, I do realize that these are natural and our bodies need it. Although when you are trying to a significant amount of weight, you don't get enough of these to satisfy. And again, this is just me. That is were the Aspartame and fat free cooking sprays come in, again for me. I do eat small amounts of fats and sugars but, nothing that would register in my brain.

Anyway, I enjoy the information that I'm getting from this thread and wish everyone in my situation the best of luck because carrying around the weight of my VDX is enough for me. Maybe when I reach my goal I will get an Edge.
    My few cents:

If you are trying to lose weight, drink 8 glasses of water (64oz) a day, and squeeze real lemon into it. It'll flush you out and you'll lose some weight. Also, portion cutting is the key. The thing is, just don't eat a small breakfast, small lunch, then come home and eat everything in sight. Resist, baby, resist. Anyway, I'm only 13 and am 120ish. However, that's just summer fat. Soccer starts up soon, that'll take care of it. I found a solution for caffiene, Vernor's ginger ale. Good stuff.
    I prefer to say "pleasantly plump." I could afford to lose about 20 lbs.
    I agree with thunderbird. I am only 16, but have always been a bit overweight - possibly due to my un-social when I'm bored I eat nature. But lately I have been drinking alot of water instead of diet/regular sodas, along with better food and less of it and more exercize. That ginger ale is pretty good, I think it tastes better than coke and only has 100 calories per serving!
    Originally posted by Thunderbird291
    The thing is, just don't eat a small breakfast, small lunch, then come home and eat everything in sight.
    Yeah, breakfast should be the largest meal of the day. Supper should be little more than a snack.
    -Joshua
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast