Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sorry Josh. I missed your last reply.

Slight side effects? Did you read the links? Would you like more? And exactly how did I compare Aspartame to Cigarettes? You need to work on reading for comprehension. I was merely pointing out a person's propensity to rationalize poor choices WRT their health. At no point did I insinuate that Aspartame was as dangerous as cigarettes, nor did I compare the amount of evindence for one against the other. I have plenty of fun arguing the points I intend to make, I don't need your help making them for me.
    Yes, I read the links and as I said they sound as biased as you regarding the subject. Once again, thank you for posting a more non-biased article after those. I do not need any help with reading comprehension. Regarding the cigarettes vs. Aspartame comment, throughout this entire thread you have been you have been making an arguments and providing links that would suggest support of that comment. I don't believe I have been helping you argue your points, maybe you have confused it with agreement. I apologize if you take offense to that.

What constitutes "abnormal" use? Snorting? Ingesting Aspartame, a common substitute for sugar, is not good for your body. The more you ingest, the worse it gets.
    I don't know but, intend to find out and will share what I find as you have. I don't anticipate finding much that's conclusive.

Labelled safe by an FDA you previously bashed. Would you please pick a side of the argument you wish to argue and stay with it? And how is sugar a bigger and more deadly problem? Almost everything you eat has sugar. Limiting sugar intake is, more or less, pointless. Unless you're eating excessive amounts (more than 2000 Cal/day), the sugar is getting burned off.
    Could you please tell me where I have bashed the FDA??? Sounds like there are reading comprehension problems on both sides here...I believe that I have stood by my argument that Aspartame is ok if one feel comfortable with it.

I have. Would you like links?
    Yes, I would very much like to have conclusive information from the AMA, not from personal Internet sites with individuals stating their opinions.

No, that was the case for saccharine. If you'd bother reading about it, you'd realize that. And would you rather testing were done on humans? Rats and chimps are used because of their genetic similarity to humans. The only thing closer would be man himself.
    And what dated material are you reading. Show me some statistics.

I agree. But when scientific report after scientific report backs the info up, you have to start to wonder.
    I will have to get back to you on that one. Admittedly, I haven't read every single report on the subject.

You don't bother to read links, do you?
    In fact I did and gave my opinion. I guess it's kind of difficult to hear others opinions when you only hear your own.

the information may have been written in the form of a witch hunt, but you conveniently ignore the reports they were based on - which happen to be solid science
    I have not but, when I comment or make any general statement about reports that you refer too, you say that I can't pick a side of the argument to stay on.

I always dismiss information because it's coming from a personal source without actually reading it and finding out if there may just be a kernel of truth to it.
    As do I. I have been and will continue to research both sides for myself.

Of course I did. As it stands, not much was gleaned by it.
    Not sure what you mean. I really don't think anything has been discovered here other than opinions.
    Here are some of the alternative articles and reports that support Aspartame.

http://www.aspartame.org/science.html

I'm still reading through information.
    Originally posted by markleetoo
    Yes, I read the links and as I said they sound as biased as you regarding the subject. Once again, thank you for posting a more non-biased article after those. I do not need any help with reading comprehension. Regarding the cigarettes vs. Aspartame comment, throughout this entire thread you have been you have been making an arguments and providing links that would suggest support of that comment. I don't believe I have been helping you argue your points, maybe you have confused it with agreement. I apologize if you take offense to that.
    I'm missing something here. I didn't once link to anything related to cigarettes. This was my comment:
    It's all a personal choice, of course (how many people still smoke cigarettes - regardless of the knowledge of what it does to your body?)
    Explain to me how that is a comparison between Aspartame and cigarettes in any regard other than people choosing things that are not healthy for them - and you can't convince me that there is a substitute better than sugar. You'd be dead within the fortnight w/o sugar (depending on physique and amount of body fat to burn).

I don't know but, intend to find out and will share what I find as you have. I don't anticipate finding much that's conclusive.
    Me neither. I've seen links and documentation from doctors, statistics and testimonials, "official" press releases and government reports. Nothing is conclusive. For every link you provide, I can provide a counter. That one link is the only objective review I have found.

Could you please tell me where I have bashed the FDA??? Sounds like there are reading comprehension problems on both sides here...I believe that I have stood by my argument that Aspartame is ok if one feel comfortable with it.
    You have said both that FDA guidlines should be followed and that
    following said guidlines is getting blown "way out of proportion."

Yes, I would very much like to have conclusive information from the AMA, not from personal Internet sites with individuals stating their opinions.
    The AMA, as well as others, have stated that Aspartame is alright. They have not answered all questions necessary to make that assertion, esp. if the statistics regarding CDC and FDA complaints that I've read are true.

And what dated material are you reading. Show me some statistics.
    Allow me to get back to this when I get home tonight (I have pages bookmarked).

In fact I did and gave my opinion. I guess it's kind of difficult to hear others opinions when you only hear your own.
    If you read them, you missed some points - or you blantantly chose to ignore them - judging by your response (which only makes sense to me if you had clicked the link, noticed they were personal sites, and closed them right away).

I have not but, when I comment or make any general statement about reports that you refer too, you say that I can't pick a side of the argument to stay on.
    The comment I responded to with by saying you have switched opinions (there was only the one comment, and then again in this post backing up that assertion) had nothing to do with the the information the sites were based on.

As do I. I have been and will continue to research both sides for myself.
    Obviously. I was being sarcastic.

Not sure what you mean. I really don't think anything has been discovered here other than opinions.
    And, unfortunately, there really isn't much else to discover at this point until the questions raised in my last link are answered.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    To Josh:

Let's agree to disagree. I have posted a web site with creditable links as well.

Mark-
    To Josh:

Let's agree to disagree. I have posted a web site with creditable links as well.

Mark-
    I agree (both to disagree and that you site is credible). My problem is not one of credibility, rather one of prematurity.
    -Joshua
    I agree (both to disagree and that you site is credible). My problem is not one of credibility, rather one of prematurity.
    Thanks for the info. and see ya around the site.
    Thanks for the info. and see ya around the site.
    sounds good
    -Joshua
    Well, I have to tell you that I enjoyed the ongoing commentary, although somewhat argumentative.

I could stand to lose about 5-7 pounds to look my best. But my concern is for that of my boyfriend. He is overweight by, I would guess, 75 lbs. He knows that overeating, eating the wrong things, drinking alcohol and lack of exercise is his problem, but he won't do anything to change these habits. I have dropped hints like telling him how much I enjoy swimming laps every day and that I just bought a Bowflex, but I don't want to offend him by coming right out and saying that he needs to lose weight. I just don't want him to have health problems and he's setting himself up for some serious ones. Plus I'm afraid that his lifestyle will drag my good habits down and then I will have a weight problem.

Any suggestions?
    Tell him straight out. Hinting won't get the point across. If that doesn't work, start mentioning how turned on you get thinking about skinny guys.

Come to think of it, tell him you get turned on by skinny guys first.
    -Joshua
    Well, I have to tell you that I enjoyed the ongoing commentary, although somewhat argumentative.

I could stand to lose about 5-7 pounds to look my best. But my concern is for that of my boyfriend. He is overweight by, I would guess, 75 lbs. He knows that overeating, eating the wrong things, drinking alcohol and lack of exercise is his problem, but he won't do anything to change these habits. I have dropped hints like telling him how much I enjoy swimming laps every day and that I just bought a Bowflex, but I don't want to offend him by coming right out and saying that he needs to lose weight. I just don't want him to have health problems and he's setting himself up for some serious ones. Plus I'm afraid that his lifestyle will drag my good habits down and then I will have a weight problem.

Any suggestions?
    That's a tough problem but it sounds like you are doing all that you can. Have you tried biking? It think it's a great exercise that doesn't easily get boring because of the scenery. Plus like swimming it's easy on the joints.

Hang in there. Maybe he will come around to your thinking.

BTW - Have you had a chance to form an opinion of the Bowflex? I've been thinking of getting one.
    Thanks for the suggestion Josh. Although to be honest, skinny guys don't do it for me.

I love the Bowflex. It seemed awkward at first but the more I use it the smoother it is. I like the fact that I can do so many exercises with it unlike free weights. It helps to have a partner that can change rods for you so there is less pausing between exercises. I got mine from a friend for $500. What a steal!

My boyfriend likes it too, it gives him something to put his luggage on when he comes to see me!

My hope is that once we get married, we can incorporate exercise into our daily life. He loves to golf but most of that time is spent in a cart. Maybe I could convince him to walk the course.
    Originally posted by MisYvon
    He loves to golf but most of that time is spent in a cart. Maybe I could convince him to walk the course.
    Good luck with that! I thought I could get my husband to walk the course, too, then I noticed how fun it is to drive the cart!!
    " But my concern is for that of my boyfriend. He is overweight by, I would guess, 75 lbs. He knows that overeating, eating the wrong things, drinking alcohol and lack of exercise is his problem, but he won't do anything to change these habits. I have dropped hints like telling him how much I enjoy swimming laps every day and that I just bought a Bowflex, but I don't want to offend him by coming right out and saying that he needs to lose weight. I just don't want him to have health problems and he's setting himself up for some serious ones. Plus I'm afraid that his lifestyle will drag my good habits down and then I will have a weight problem.

Any suggestions?"

Try scheduling a date where you go to a park and take a nice walk. You don't have to immediately plunge into a rigorous workout with him. Ramp up. If he is that overweight it'll be much more pleasant for him if you take it easy. Have him over for dinner a lot and make him healthier dinners (without telling him they are "good for him"). Don't "preach" to him, you've probably figured out that we men are big babies and are easily upset by criticism, 'constructive' or not. If you guys get married before you get this settled you'll have a harder time helping him through this. Good luck!

Michael
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Thanks BobbyMike for your suggestions.
    I saw the topic (a bit late) but I had to say something. Right now, I am 6'1", and weigh about 205 pounds. I think I should lose 30-40 to be in good shape. Anyway, I spent two years (Sept '98-Sept 2000) in Colombia (South America) as a missionary for my church. Every day, I ate very healthy meals (mostly fruits and vegtables), and I walked everywhere I went. When I left (to go to Colombia), I weighed about the same that I do now. In my first 4 months there, I lost about 50 pounds. I stayed about 150 pounds until returning home, and in the last year, I have gained it all back. Basically, it is because I haven't been eating the same, and I haven't been exercising regularly. Thats the key. If you want to lose weight, go for walks and don't eat so much fat. It is simple. It is a simple matter of disipline.
    I have seen too much thin folks clianign that they are fat.... We are all being brainwashed by what we see in the mass media...its too bad.
    Originally posted by yardie
    I have seen too much thin folks clianign that they are fat.... We are all being brainwashed by what we see in the mass media...its too bad.
    If that isn't a blatant rationalization, my name isn't ****-richardson.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

If that isn't a blatant rationalization, my name isn't ****-richardson.
    Well your naem is josh..not ****-Richardson . Anyhow I thought I had to say that. I am sick and tired of seeing magazines at the supermarket with "Lose XX Pounds in XX Weeks".
    I agree that the media makes people in general think that they are fat. I think that people in general are insecure, and thus think that they need to lose weight. Had I not lost a lot of weight, and then gained it back, I wouldn't think that I needed to lose it again, but I guess that is my motivaton...having once been thin. I am in no means fat. I am just a little plump. As for the magizine articles, they are all a joke. Just watch what you eat and exercize.
    Originally posted by chuckster
    I agree that the media makes people in general think that they are fat. <snip> As for the magizine articles, they are all a joke. Just watch what you eat and exercize.
    Them photos are mostly faked as well, BTW. They've been airbrushed for decades.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123