Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 119
  1.    #1  
    Here it is folks - I even used foxnews.com as the source so it has to be right, right? http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10...-commissioner/

    The report was UNANIMOUSLY approved by the BI-PARTISAN panel. She abused her power.

    What a fine job of vetting McShame's team has done on the worst VP pick in modern history.

    Hence forth I will refer to McShame as McSybil - too erratic and too friggin' crazy to be President.

    Panel: Palin Abused Her Power in Firing of Commissioner

    The findings were released after lawmakers spent more than six hours discussing a politically charged ethics report into the firing by Palin

    FOXNews.com
    Friday, October 10, 2008
    16
    x in order to recommend a story, you must login or register.


    ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Sarah Palin "abused her power" as governor in firing the public safety commissioner, a legislative panel concluded in an ethics case that Palin's supporters say is politically motivated.
    The panel of state lawmakers released its report Friday after spending more than six hours in a closed-door session reviewing the findings, which say a family grudge was a factor in Palin's dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan, but not the sole factor.
    At the heart of the investigation was the question of whether Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee had pressured Monegan to fire her former brother-in-law, a state trooper, after a contentious divorce.
    Investigator Stephen Branchflower, in the bipartisan panel's report found Palin in violation of a state ethics law that prohibits public officials from using their office for personal gain.
    Palin has said Monegan was fired as part of a legitimate budget dispute.
    "I feel vindicated," Monegan said. "It sounds like they've validated my belief and opinions. And that tells me I'm not totally out in left field."
    Branchflower said Palin violated a statute of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act.
    Palin and McCain's supporters had hoped the inquiry's finding would be delayed until after the presidential election to spare her any embarrassment and to put aside an enduring distraction as she campaigns as McCain's running mate in an uphill contest against Democrat Barack Obama.
    But the panel of lawmakers voted to release the report, although not without dissension.
    "I think there are some problems in this report," said Republican state Sen. Gary Stevens, a member of the panel. "I would encourage people to be very cautious, to look at this with a jaundiced eye."
    The nearly 300-page report does not recommend sanctions or a criminal investigation.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Here it is folks - I even used foxnews.com as the source so it has to be right, right? http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10...-commissioner/

    The report was UNANIMOUSLY approved by the BI-PARTISAN panel. She abused her power.

    What a fine job of vetting McShame's team has done on the worst VP pick in modern history.

    Hence forth I will refer to McShame as McSybil - too erratic and too friggin' crazy to be President.
    As I keep saying... McCain's judgment is off... he is not fit to be President of the United States or a lemonade stand.

    No real surprises here... I've not read far enough to see what the next step might be...

    Call to put her out of office? lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    As I keep saying... McCain's judgment is off... he is not fit to be President of the United States or a lemonade stand.

    No real surprises here... I've not read far enough to see what the next step might be...

    Call to put her out of office? lol
    Well the report says she abused her power, yet also goes on to say she did violate any laws. It is more likely to be damaging politically than any real chance of her doing "hard time".
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Well the report says she abused her power, yet also goes on to say she did violate any laws. It is more likely to be damaging politically than any real chance of her doing "hard time".
    I was thinking of impeachment... if an option.... or whatever they use in Alaska to dump a rouge politician.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  5. #5  
    "Sarah Palin 'abused her power' as governor in firing the public safety commissioner, a legislative panel concluded in an ethics case that Palin's supporters say is politically motivated."


    The above statement is completely inaccurate. Here is what the report from the panel says:

    "I find that, although Walt Monegan's refusal to fire Trooper Michael Wooten was not the sole reason he was fired by Governer Sarah Palin, it was likely a contributing factor to his termination as Commissioner of Public Safety. In spite of that, Governer Palin's firing of Commissioner Monegan was a proper and lawful exercise of her constitutional and statutory authority to hire and fire executive branch department heads."



    The new text on FOX's site says the following:

    ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Sarah Palin "abused her power" as governor in the disciplinary case against a state trooper, according to a legislative panel's report released Friday, though it also found that her firing of a state commissioner was "proper and lawful."



    EDIT: I noticed your post acknowledging my complaint only after I clicked submit, ergo removing portions of my post.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Well the report says she abused her power, yet also goes on to say she did violate any laws. It is more likely to be damaging politically than any real chance of her doing "hard time".

    I read the report and when it gets out, it's unlikely to do much of anything. She was found as abusing her power by lack of action against her husband's work to get the Trooper fired. Furthermore, there is a portion in there which ackowledges the law adding to the family's frustration by limiting their ability to be updated on progress of the case. Not excusing it, but looks like people waited for virtually nothing.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    I read the report and when it gets out, it's unlikely to do much of anything. She was found as abusing her power by lack of action against her husband's work to get the Trooper fired. Furthermore, there is a portion in there which ackowledges the law adding to the family's frustration by limiting their ability to be updated on progress of the case. Not excusing it, but looks like people waited for virtually nothing.
    Well I may have understated things - and you certainly are as well.

    "Finding Number One

    For reasons explained in section IV of this report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act."

    It goes on to define what the statute is.

    It is pretty clear that they found that she - not her husband - violated the statute. And by they, I'd like to add it was 10 Republicans and 4 Democrats who voted to publish this report.
    Last edited by moderateinny; 10/10/2008 at 11:06 PM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Well I may have understated things - and you're certainly are as well.

    "Finding Number One

    For reasons explained in section IV of this report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act."

    It goes on to define what the statue is.

    It is pretty clear that they found that she - not her husband - violated the statute. And by they, I'd like to add it was 10 Republicans and 4 Democrats who voted to publish this report.


    You tell 'em, moder!

    I think the republicans on this board need to wait for the GOP to tell them how to spin this one... I'm sure something will be out by morning. Maybe they will attack obama some more... or claim obama founded acorn.

    Anything to get Americans from noticing the truth....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Well I may have understated things - and you're certainly are as well.

    "Finding Number One

    For reasons explained in section IV of this report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act."

    It goes on to define what the statue is.

    It is pretty clear that they found that she - not her husband - violated the statute. And by they, I'd like to add it was 10 Republicans and 4 Democrats who voted to publish this report.

    Umm, no; I just did more reading than you did. Read the document and find your way to the center of page 65 where you see the header:"CONCLUSION." Start with the fourth paragraph after that (end of the page).

    There you see the following (which is exactly as I said it):

    "The evidence supports the conclusion that Governer Palin, at the least, engaged in "official action" by her inaction if not her active participation or assistance to her husband in attempting to get Trooper Wooten fired [and there is evidence of her active participation]. She knowingly, as that term is defined in the above cited statutes, permitted Todd Palin to use the Governer's office and the resources of the Governer's office, including access to state employees, to continue to contact subordinate state employees in an effort to find some way to get Trooper Wooten fired.

    Governer Palin knowingly permitted a situation to continue where impermissable pressure was placed on several subordianate employees in order to advance a personal agendam to wit: to get Trooper Michael Wooten fired. She had the authority and power to require Mr. Palin to cease contacting subordinates, but she failed to act."
    Let's compare the above now to my previous statement (compare boldface text):

    "She was found as abusing her power by lack of action against her husband's work to get the Trooper fired."


    WOW!! It's like I was dead on. She abused her power by her lack of action--and it's speculated that she actively participated; however, the conclusive evidence points to inaction. This is probably why the document spent much time pointing out how inaction falls applicably under the law.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    WOW!! It's like I was dead on. She abused her power by her lack of action--and it's speculated that she actively participated; however, the conclusive evidence points to inaction. This is probably why the document spent much time pointing out how inaction falls applicably under the law.
    So you claim that obama is not worthly to be president because of his inaction (as you claim).

    But palin is ok because of her inaction (as you claim).

    Got it.

    Dude, you are so mixed up, you can't get it straight.... it is laughable...

    You know this lady was dead wrong... I can't believe you are so wrapped up in this to actually attempt to take up for her....


    Hold your head in shame and exit...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    Umm, no; I just did more reading than you did. Read the document and find your way to the center of page 65 where you see the header:"CONCLUSION." Start with the fourth paragraph after that (end of the page).

    There you see the following (which is exactly as I said it):

    Let's compare the above now to my previous statement (compare boldface text):

    "She was found as abusing her power by lack of action against her husband's work to get the Trooper fired."


    WOW!! It's like I was dead on. She abused her power by her lack of action--and it's speculated that she actively participated; however, the conclusive evidence points to inaction. This is probably why the document spent much time pointing out how inaction falls applicably under the law.

    Oh her inaction...well that makes it all better now doesn't it?

    Did she abuse her power or not? Did she violate Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act or not?

    Don't confuse my rationalizing that criminal charges are not likely to come from this vs. my strong beliefs that she did in fact abuse her power and acted inappropriately.

    If this were Obama there would be rioting in the streets and McSybil supporters would be preparing the "hangin' tree".
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    "hangin' tree".
    That was a bit too far.... push away from the keyboard....

    Think I'm outta here as well...

    Leave DL to his spin tactics...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    So you claim that obama is not worthly to be president because of his inaction (as you claim).
    You may point to the post where I stated his unworthiness because of his inaction. Of course, if you reveiw my posts again, you'll note it was more than just inaction that prevents me from voting Obama. LONG BEFORE the Ayers issue came to light I was against Obama--and strangely enough, based on his policies.

    But palin is ok because of her inaction (as you claim).
    Erm, where did I say she was okay? NOWHERE. I said the new report was unlikely do amount to much and people waited for virtually nothing. If you recall, the big hullaballoo was that Palin allegedly unlawfully fired an employee--which she didn't. The big hype amounted to nothing, the report doesn't even recommend any legal action against her and why? Because there really isn't much there.

    You know this lady was dead wrong... I can't believe you are so wrapped up in this to actually attempt to take up for her....
    There is a difference in getting the facts straight and taking up for her.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Oh her inaction...well that makes it all better now doesn't it?
    Well, having the facts straight does have its benefits.

    Did she abuse her power or not? Did she violate Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act or not?
    I already stated that she did. Reading glasses?
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  15. #15  
    Just for the record:

    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    Not excusing it, but looks like people waited for virtually nothing.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    That was a bit too far.... push away from the keyboard....

    Think I'm outta here as well...

    Leave DL to his spin tactics...
    Tongue in cheek - although, those angry rallies are pretty disturbing.

    How about this to settle things down. Today McCain show some integrity today and defended Obama at one of his rallys. You may have seen the footage of the woman who said, "...Omaha scares me....he's an Arab". McCain told her, "...no maam...no maam. He is a decent family man with whom I deeply disagree with." He also told her she had to reason to fear him as President. I think even McCain is realizing that he could not live with himself if his campaign tactics resulted in harm to Obama. And for his defense of Obama as a decent man - I applaud Mr. McCain - at least for today. We'll see what he says at a rally tomorrow.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    I already stated that she did. Reading glasses?
    If they come with some sort of spin-filter, sure. But it sounds like I will not need them. We agree - she abused her power.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    ... Today McCain show some integrity today and defended Obama at one of his rallys. You may have seen the footage of the woman who said, "...Omaha scares me....he's an Arab". McCain told her, "...no maam...no maam. He is a decent family man with whom I deeply disagree with." He also told her she had to reason to fear him as President. I think even McCain is realizing that he could not live with himself if his campaign tactics resulted in harm to Obama. And for his defense of Obama as a decent man - I applaud Mr. McCain - at least for today. We'll see what he says at a rally tomorrow.
    my reaction was more cynical -- that they have finally realized that rousing their base does nothing to help them win the center, the independents, the undecideds -- it does nothing to help them win the election.

    McShame did sound more responsible, more civilized, more mature by how he responded to that whacko. But he should never have personally expressed these seething demagogic flailings, he should never have talked about Ayres etc. His reputation has likely been permanently damaged by how he's behaved these last several weeks.
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/11/2008 at 12:36 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    my reaction was more cynical -- that they have finally realized that rousing their base does nothing to help them win the center, the independents, the undecideds -- it does nothing to help them win the election.

    McShame did sound more responsible, more civilized, more mature by how he responded to that whacko. But he should never have personally expressed these seething demagogic flailings, he should never have talked abouts Ayres etc. His reputation has likely been permanently damaged by how he's behaved these last several weeks.
    I certainly agree that his actions today do not equate to a "I take it all back". He hardly saved his campaign today...in fact probably damaged it even more with his base. The guy is very erratic, just as Obama has charged. He says something different every day so we'll see if this is a new theme or just a one-off and he'll be back to allowing his supporters to scream "terrorists" and "off with his head" at future rallys.
  20. #20  
    Palin is reported to be going onto SNL this week.

    I would love to see this report part of some skit that makes her squirm and blush.

    Unfortunately the protocol of these kind of appearances on SNL is that the "target" gets a reprieve -- they are nice to them that night, and are never as hard on them again.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions