Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,
    This person or people is pissing me off.

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99141


    When they are caught, the police should throw away the key to their jail cell. Do anybody disagree?


    Byron
    <A HREF=http://www.xecu.net/bcollins/index.htm><IMG SRC=http://www.xecu.net/bcollins/BEBOOKEM.GIF>
  2. #2  
    I completely agree. But I find it exasperating that email virus' spread so easily. I tell my users not to open an email attachment unless they know precisely what it is. I also remind them that knowing the sender is not the same as knowing what the file is. Finally, I've warned them that anyone who gets infected with a virus owes me a case of the beer of my choice, payable before I clean up their mess.

    Why on earth would you attempt to open an unknown file from someone you know let alone someone you don't know?
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
  3. #3  
    What irks me is a double: People who send files like "Picture.GIF.EXE", and the people who are stupid enough to download it!
  4. #4  
    And I get irked because Windows decided to start 'hiding' extensions and people don't know (or don't want) to turn them back on.

    Yea, Viruses are nasty. But remember that they do prey on the novice computer user and bad software programming. That's not to say they're solely to blame, but they should share the blame.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  5. #5  
    wel it sucks. Outlook XP doesn't let me even open them!!! I hate it! I can't be stupid enough to infect myself..


    on the other hand - I was praying that some ***** at handspring would infect their computer, and e-mail me some top secret product roadmap or something. I would infect myself just to get that!

    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by ByronC
    Hi All,
    This person or people is pissing me off.

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99141


    When they are caught, the police should throw away the key to their jail cell. Do anybody disagree?


    Byron
    ---

    Hi All,

    The Internet Community, Microsoft, your local ISP, etc.. should be up in arms ( Lawyers-wise ) over this invader abuse of your private e-mail box. I can handle junk e-mail; but this kind of thing is un-lawful.

    Byron
    <A HREF=http://www.xecu.net/bcollins/index.htm><IMG SRC=http://www.xecu.net/bcollins/BEBOOKEM.GIF>
  7. #7  
    It looks like james is being hit big time by this one too:
    http://www.visorcentral.com/page/0-2-1080-2.htm

    The thing scans your IE history for email adresses... hence why James is getting so much cr@p...

    Also I read an article the FBI was hit by this virus too and some confedential files were forwarded as well... not good for an institute as the FBI.. they should know better...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by ToolkiT
    Also I read an article the FBI was hit by this virus too and some confedential files were forwarded as well... not good for an institute as the FBI.. they should know better...
    I guess you haven't been reading much about the FBI lately? http://www.msnbc.com/local/rtfli/m70092.asp
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  9. #9  
    In addition to my other myriad of duties around here, I am the "network administrator." Which means I have to take the backup tapes home everyday and people bug me with little computer questions until I decide to call in our outside consultants...

    Anyway, I sent the warning from James around this a.m. when I got here and, sure enough, some folks got the message and would most likely have opened it up (Heaven help us!) if they hadn't seen my/James' warning!!

    THANKS JAMES AND VC!
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    In addition to my other myriad of duties around here, I am the "network administrator." Which means I have to take the backup tapes home everyday and people bug me with little computer questions until I decide to call in our outside consultants...

    Anyway, I sent the warning from James around this a.m. when I got here and, sure enough, some folks got the message and would most likely have opened it up (Heaven help us!) if they hadn't seen my/James' warning!!

    THANKS JAMES AND VC!
    Thanks for the kudos. This is the first big worm/virus that I actually received. Nobody loves me, nor people do not want me to see Anna Kournikova naked. They do, however, want to help me with a mortgage, get me a credit card, get me a merchant account, enlarge various parts and shrink others, etc.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  11. #11  
    ack ... i've given up opening e-mail unless it was something i was expecting it ...

    yeah, i wrote that ...
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by Toby
    I guess you haven't been reading much about the FBI lately? http://www.msnbc.com/local/rtfli/m70092.asp
    It is one fine institution I see....
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  13. #13  
    The Internet Community, Microsoft, your local ISP, etc.. should be up in arms
    Well, keep in mind that viruses like this wouldn't spread like this if it weren't for Microsoft's sloppy programming and poor security implementations in their software.

    That's not an excuse to the virus creator, they certainly should be punished, but let's not let Microsoft completely off the hook.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  14. #14  
    Microsoft announced some months back that a security flaw in the IIS software had been identified, and offered a patch to fix it a couple days later. Anyone who didn't bother to use the patch, well, that's your own lookout.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  15. #15  
    I am having the same problem James is having. I have been besieged by people sending me this virus. Luckily this was a pretty easy one to spot and get rid of before my computer is infected but it is EXTREMELY annoying to take 20 mintues to check my email. This morning I had over 6 MB worth of emails on my server, 95% are messages containing the SirCam virus. Grrrrrrrrrrr..
  16. #16  
    We're getting absolutely swamped at work with virus's. Oddly, we haven't had to deal with SirCam, yet.

    James, I love you, and though I'm no Anna Kournikova...
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.

Posting Permissions