Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Speaking of celebrity endorsements - Michael Smerconish joined Christopher Buckley today and endorsed Obama!

On his talk show on WPHT today, conservative Philadelphian Michael Smerconish endorsed Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.

Smerconish did so by reading a couple paragraphs from his pending op-ed in the Philadelphia Inquirer.

"I’ve decided," he said. "My conclusion comes after reading the candidates’ memoirs and campaign platforms, attending both party conventions, interviewing both men multiple times, and watching all primary and general election debates.

"John McCain is an honorable man who has served his country well. But he will not get my vote. For the first time since registering as a Republican 28 years ago, I’m voting for a Democrat for president.

"I may have been an appointee in the George H.W. Bush administration, and master of ceremonies for George W. Bush in 2004, but last Saturday I stood amidst the crowd at an Obama event in North Philadelphia," says the Republican.
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...lly-conse.html
  2.    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    No, what's more frustrating is that **** like this fills the internet every day and people believe it's real because it either fits into what they think is funny or what they think is outrageous. Not doubting that there are people in this world that think this, because there are (I'm sure the Wikipedia article documenting the existence of Bobby Lee May is already posted), but really now. Have we become that gullible and entrenched in our own worldviews that we will believe anything posted through the tubes?
    Fair enough. I knew Bobby Lee May said stuff about Ludicrous and the White House and jumped to the conclusion that this was the full email he sent. You are right, I was wrong to conclude that.

And as I said earlier, the McCain campaign was right to fire May.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Speaking of celebrity endorsements - Michael Smerconish joined Christopher Buckley today and endorsed Obama!

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...lly-conse.html

I confess that I've never heard of this guy --but he speaks sensibly:

Smerconish has given us some more from his op-ed:

..."Barack Obama is correct in saying the front line in that battle is not Iraq, it’s the Afghan-Pakistan border. Osama bin Laden crossed that border from Tora Bora in December 2001, and we stopped pursuit. The Bush administration outsourced the hunt for bin Laden and, instead, invaded Iraq.

"No one in Iraq caused the death of 3,000 Americans on 9/11. Our invasion was based on a false predicate, so we have no business being there, regardless of whether the surge is working. Our focus must be the tribal-ruled FATA region in Pakistan. Only recently has our military engaged al-Qaeda there in operations that mirror those Obama was ridiculed for recommending in August 2007.

"Last spring, Obama told me, 'It’s not that I was opposed to war [in Iraq]. It’s that I felt we had a war that we had not finished.' Even Sen. Joe Lieberman conceded to me just last Friday that 'the headquarters of our opposition, our enemies today,' is the FATA."

Smerconish is taking a lot of heat from his fellow GOPers, as one might imagine.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  4.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I confess that I've never heard of this guy --but he speaks sensibly:

Smerconish has given us some more from his op-ed:

..."Barack Obama is correct in saying the front line in that battle is not Iraq, itís the Afghan-Pakistan border. Osama bin Laden crossed that border from Tora Bora in December 2001, and we stopped pursuit. The Bush administration outsourced the hunt for bin Laden and, instead, invaded Iraq.

"No one in Iraq caused the death of 3,000 Americans on 9/11. Our invasion was based on a false predicate, so we have no business being there, regardless of whether the surge is working. Our focus must be the tribal-ruled FATA region in Pakistan. Only recently has our military engaged al-Qaeda there in operations that mirror those Obama was ridiculed for recommending in August 2007.

"Last spring, Obama told me, 'Itís not that I was opposed to war [in Iraq]. Itís that I felt we had a war that we had not finished.' Even Sen. Joe Lieberman conceded to me just last Friday that 'the headquarters of our opposition, our enemies today,' is the FATA."

Smerconish is taking a lot of heat from his fellow GOPers, as one might imagine.
    He's pretty popular in the tri-state area AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $He$'$s$ $been$ $on$ $TV$ $as$ $well$ $a$ $few$ $times$. $He$ $seems$ $to$ $have$ $mellowed$ $the$ $last$ $few$ $years$, $so$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $that$ $surprised$ $at$ $this$ $endorsement$.
    Got it. So this was what he published?
    Seems plausible at this point, although 'publish' seems a bit generous. There are more students in my daughter's school than people in the town where this was supposedly 'published'.
    Again, I had only heard about the Ludicrous comments.
    Ludacris, although I suppose little 'l' could have applied.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6.    #126  
    Ludacris, although I suppose little 'l' could have applied.
    LOL. I guess my age is showing a bit...I'm not exactly up to speed on the rap scene. He is a rap star, isn't he?
  7.    #127  
    Seems plausible at this point, although 'publish' seems a bit generous. There are more students in my daughter's school than people in the town where this was supposedly 'published'.
    Not sure that the size of the subscription base matters that much to me. It's still very racist and he should have been fired for what he did. This is the type of stuff that has come to define McCain's campaign and frankly, I think he should be ashamed that he lost control to the extent that he has in allowing these feelings and this type of hatred to permeate his campaign.
    Last edited by moderateinny; 10/17/2008 at 11:13 PM.
    LOL. I guess my age is showing a bit...I'm not exactly up to speed on the rap scene. He is a rap star, isn't he?
    He's a slash guy. Rapper/actor/activist/etc. He and Tommy Lee from Motley Crue have a TV show about saving the planet. Been on the scene for a while now. I'm not a huge hip hop fan (well at least not since the Run DMC era), although I generally try to keep informed on most music (excepting "New Country" and Pop).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Not sure that the size of the subscription base matters that much to me.
    I think it weighs into the perspective of things. If I don't consider Wright or Ayers a factor in making my opinion of Obama, why am I going to give weight to a 'newspaper article' from a smaller population than Wright's former church or Ayers' daily class load?
    It's still very racist and he should have been fired for what he did.
    No disagreement.
  10.    #130  
    I think it weighs into the perspective of things. If I don't consider Wright or Ayers a factor in making my opinion of Obama, why am I going to give weight to a 'newspaper article' from a smaller population than Wright's former church or Ayers' daily class load?
    Again, I don't think the subscription base matters as much. He wrote it and published it. In this day and age, the town could have had 5 people yet we both know that 50 million could see it as quickly as the article can be scanned and posted on the net.

The bigger issue to me is that these attitudes - like May published - seem to be permeating the campaign and accepted, until they get caught or pressured to change. My impression - and I'll underline my impression - is that the wheels have truly come off McCain's campaign and he let this genie out of the bottle and he isn't quite sure how to deal with it. In some cases he has rejected this type of politics - like the lady that called Obama an "Arab", and McCain replied, "...no mam...he is a decent family man" (nevermind the unttended slap in the face to Arab family men).
    Again, I don't think the subscription base matters as much.
    From what perspective? I think it matters from the perspective of how much influence this 'association' has.
    He wrote it and published it. In this day and age, the town could have had 5 people yet we both know that 50 million could see it as quickly as the article can be scanned and posted on the net.
    Did he scan it and post it on the net? He supposedly had a Yahoo address. Wouldn't have taken much to add it to the typical spam that's seen every day.
    The bigger issue to me is that these attitudes - like May published - seem to be permeating the campaign and accepted, until they get caught or pressured to change.
    Much as I don't like McCain, his one point from the debate that I agreed with is that it's unfair and inaccurate to define his campaign with these sorts of kooks. He has no control over his fringe supporters any more than Obama does. The bigger issue for me is that both extremes want to define their opponents campaigns by the kooks. The Hannitys of the world want to make Obama solely about Wright, Ayers, or some other kooks. The far lefties want to make McCain's campaign about Bush, Hagee, and random people in campaign crowds. I know regular people that support both of them, and none of them deserve to be painted with either brush.
    My impression - and I'll underline my impression - is that the wheels have truly come off McCain's campaign and he let this genie out of the bottle and he isn't quite sure how to deal with it.
    I don't think the wheels ever were much on McCain's campaign. He's been coasting on the war hero and maverick things too long.
    In some cases he has rejected this type of politics - like the lady that called Obama an "Arab", and McCain replied, "...no mam...he is a decent family man" (nevermind the unttended slap in the face to Arab family men).
    That lady was definitely a kook. She even got her misinformed 'insult' wrong. Obama isn't remotely Arab.
    And in some of those instances, the candidate was not there and when it was investigated, the statements could not be substantiated. We are far more likely to hear "hate" speech from the far left than from the far right.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    [...] We are far more likely to hear "hate" speech from the far left than from the far right.
    No, you're only more likely to hear it since you're on the far right (at least judging solely by your posts here). There's more than enough coming from both sides of the island.
    Toby, I am not on the far right by any means. To the right of center, but not that far.
    A reasonable person also takes measure to corroborate such speak as well.

"Kill Him"

So far, this comment has been found to be simply not untrue. Even HuffPo notes, "Also unclear: whether the remark was directed at Obama or Ayers [or] if the words were actually 'kill' and 'him.'"

The Secret Service seem to be unable to substantiate this coment either.

"Treason"

Indeed this one is true; however it's not exactly what I would call hate speech. Such comments have been leveled at Bush and I gave them the same concern I give here--baseless and inaccurate, nothing more.

"Off With His Head"

Nope, unable to corroborate this one; all we can find are a few online sites making this claim--no audio.

"Terrorist"

Found one audio clip where it appears this is what is being shouted. Again though, same as "treason" George Bush was subject to this word as well and it didn't seem to be a word associated with hatred, so why is it now?

Again, even if all these comment were spoken, they still resemble just a fraction of the "hate speech" that our current president has had leveled against him. I ruled those people off as uneducated, ignorant and mere individuals just as I am doing with those who might spear them at Obama. You however; seem overwhelmingly intent to keep that broad brush in your hand.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 10/18/2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: remove reference to lifes2short clone posting
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Toby, I am not on the far right by any means. To the right of center, but not that far.
    Based on some of your posts, sometimes I can see where people would get that impression.

Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    A reasonable person also takes measure to corroborate such speak as well.

"Kill Him"

So far, this comment has been found to be simply not untrue. Even HuffPo notes, "Also unclear: whether the remark was directed at Obama or Ayers [or] if the words were actually 'kill' and 'him.'"

The Secret Service seem to be unable to substantiate this coment either...
    I recently heard (sorry can't cite the original source, other than that it was discussed on Oberman) that Palin's campaign has begun to employ the Secret Service to keep the press fenced within their pens, ostensibly for their "protection" -- at Palin rallies. The press is being actively blocked from going out into the crowd to find, interview, and confirm the existence of these hate shouters.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I recently heard (sorry can't cite the original source, other than that it was discussed on Oberman) that Palin's campaign has begun to employ the Secret Service to keep the press fenced within their pens, ostensibly for their "protection" -- at Palin rallies. The press is being actively blocked from going out into the crowd to find, interview, and confirm the existence of these hate shouters.
    Ok.

At a local bash for Obama here in Honolulu, that was done, so what is new about it?
    At a local bash for Obama here in Honolulu, that was done, so what is new about it?
    No it was not... it was confirmed that was false... it was never done at an event for obama in Honolulu or any of those islands.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast